Delayed to early 2015

I think they are delaying the release because they want to include Romance, it makes sense if you think about all the support for it :wub:

• Like 6

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@Darji and others: ain't gonna happen. You want P:E to be something it doesn't try to be.

The mechanics are fundamentally fine and already a LOT better than (A)D&D in almost every way that counts. The game has improved tremendously from BB.278, and I already find the combat more enjoyable and varied than comparable-level combat in BG1. Give 'em a couple of months to improve the combat feedback and sort out the glaring balance issues, and it'll be not just passable but damn good.

(Edit: same goes for everything else. Some classes for example need work, but to get them up to scratch they just need more and more varied talents and spells plus some numbers adjusted, not fundamental redesigns. Etc.)

Well that is your opinion. And while I agree that AD&D was confusing even to cRPG players at the time (and terrible for modern gamers), a more recent D&D rule system is way better than these mechanics that PoE has currently. D&D rules were adjusted and refined over 30 years of use by who knows how many people. They tried many different stuff with D&D like systems in the form of D20 Modern, Star Wars Saga Edition and other systems. 

5e (D&D Next) is the system where the best was taken from everything before and PoE system can only go cry into a corner when compared. Nothing in PoE is better, except how Monks, Ciphers and Chanters work (they got unique flavor and I applaud OE for coming up with them - although D3 had idea about normal attacks filling mana for special attacks before them :D)

Saying that their system if better in any way can only fool people that don't know D&D in detail. 

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

Well that is your opinion. And while I agree that AD&D was confusing even to cRPG players at the time (and terrible for modern gamers), a more recent D&D rule system is way better than these mechanics that PoE has currently. D&D rules were adjusted and refined over 30 years of use by who knows how many people. They tried many different stuff with D&D like systems in the form of D20 Modern, Star Wars Saga Edition and other systems. 

5e (D&D Next) is the system where the best was taken from everything before and PoE system can only go cry into a corner when compared. Nothing in PoE is better, except how Monks, Ciphers and Chanters work (they got unique flavor and I applaud OE for coming up with them - although D3 had idea about normal attacks filling mana for special attacks before them :D)

Saying that their system if better in any way can only fool people that don't know D&D in detail. 

And that's your opinion, archangel.

I'm not familiar with 5e, so I will grant the possibility that it is even better. However, the P:E system is a lot better than any DnD edition until that. It avoids the mechanical chaos of AD&D, the rigidity of DnD3's feats, attributes, and classes, and (to a large extent) the pigeonholing of DnD4, while maintaining most of what works about all of them.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'm not familiar with 5e, so I will grant the possibility that it is even better. However, the P:E system is a lot better than any DnD edition until that. It avoids the mechanical chaos of AD&D, the rigidity of DnD3's feats, attributes, and classes, and (to a large extent) the pigeonholing of DnD4, while maintaining most of what works about all of them.

WTF? You are trolling now? What rigidity of feats, attributes and classes? Even DnD 3e is less rigid by allowing multiclassing and as result you can take any feat in the game, including class locked ones. 

I has fixed Critical hit and fixed always miss in attack rolls and saving throws. It does not allow to stack multipliers on top of multipliers as part of base classes abilities. 

Only thing that PoE fixed compared to 3e is difference in power between martial and spellcasters. And that is completely irevelant in a singleplayer, party focused game as you fight with your whole group and not just one character while it might kill single character plays as no class will be powerful enough to let you solo the game.

The NewYorker recently wrote this article suggesting that Destiny unwittingly critiques late stage capitalism but they should have written about PoE instead because people here, uniformly rejoicing at the delay, have ascended to the highest possible state of consumerism where things are acquired but not actually consumed, making the people who bought and play Destiny, shooting mindlessly into a cave look like amateurs. After all they are actually playing a game and people here don’t want an actual game called Pillars of Eternity, the game for them is this whole process of anticipation, observation and speculation. A real game would only ruin it because of the “bugs and lack of polish”. Watchdogs was one of the best games ever made until it actually came out and ruined the fun for everyone.

Warcraft 3 was delayed time and again but it ended up being a resounding success. You can't generalize from Watchdogs that PoE will disappoint. It might actually be very good. We also some reasons to think that it will indeed be good, such as hands-on a beta that shows a lot of promise and the level of proven talent behind it. We also have good reasons to think that the delay is required to make the game really fun, such as hands-on a beta that has still a lot of serious issues with basic gameplay.

Quality in software does exist and the existence of bugs even in what is considered high-quality software doesn't invalidate the notion. It's simply not true that "polish is bull****". It's all about the frequency and severity of the issues. Nobody wants to play a buggy game and it negatively impacts the review scores forever even if the game is later patched and becomes very good.

Everyone wants PoE to be a success (as in, an actual released game that is successful), so while your diatribe makes for an entertaining read, the idea of keeping PoE in production indefinitely cannot be taken seriously. 

• Like 3

It's actually a step back towards 3.5 from what little i've seen of it. I'd call it 3e lite.

I suspect they have made the decision about the new delay first and foremost as a result of the disappointed reactions that came from the beta in the state in which it was released.

What blows my mind is how many people arbitrarily assume that the developers approach beta as "Yep, everything's perfect, just incomplete. Finish coloring in the shapes, guys!" As if, when they get feedback (which is the entire purpose of a beta), they're all aghast. "WHAT?! There are problems and things that need to change?! DEAR HEAVENS!!! *panic*"

Because, they NEVER could've suspected that they might have to delay their release a bit further, until people said "Hey, this might need some tweaking."

*eye roll*

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

It's actually a step back towards 3.5 from what little i've seen of it. I'd call it 3e lite.

It really feels more like a mix of AD&D and 3e to me. More like what I'd wished 3e would have been, which is to say an improvement on the mechanics of AD&D without making me feel like I was playing some sort of spreadsheet optimization game.

28/31.

.... so now any post that has the least bit negative connotations is considered on the same level as telling someone to piss off?

The user said that Obsidian didn't care about the backers (a completely unknowable thing) because they didn't inform them first, so I simply stated that it's... are you taking issue with how I write my posts?

Full voice-acting, cinematics... I want to see rain-drops drip from my character's eyelashes. MAYBE, if there's time, you can actually put in like 2 quests and a skill, and 2 different weapons instead of just one. ^_^

How about just animations on the level of games made over 10 years ago, even that would be a huge improvement.

They screwed up and they know it, at least that's a good sign.

They screwed nothing. It's just that 2 years of development is hardly enough for the scope of such a project. Watching the updates of the development process like so many of you, I prayed they would take the decision to delay, many months ago. Seems the turning point was the outrage of the community at the current combat system, unfinished class progession and the pile of bugs.

A decision well-deserved to the masterpiece Obsidian aspires to create.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Glad they did decide to give it a couple more months before they going to release it. Now my best bet would be that they prolly release it by eigther end of March or early to mid April. Releasing it Januar would be not enough time to really give it a quality polish (or at least that is what I would think). And releasing it Feburary well thats were The Witcher 3 will be getting all the attention (considering that the Witcher 3 is at the very top of a lot of peoples most anticipated game list I think that is a fair assumption).

Best release dare would be near Summer to be honest. If they released it this year they had to "fight" against Dragon Age which they can not win. Feb is Witcher 3 of course no chance. June or July seems like a great date and gives them some time too.

Although I too have quite the anticipation for the W3 (huge fun of the series), PoE is what I'd like to play more, 'cause it's what it's missing from the market (plus I know I'd love Obsidian's story-telling infinitely more).

DO3 ?? Seriously are there people in the forums that still trust Bioware(EA) will come up with a decent RPG ?

• Like 2

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Hi Obsidian!

Thanks for this good decision. The delay seems to be very important.

If you can fund this, please delay until June/July of 2015. So Dragon Age 3 and The Witcher 3 is out already. I realy want you to polish this game until it is flawless. And please take a look at the German translation. I think after English, German is the second important language. And the second important game market to sell your game.

A few days ago the german press, the most important games magazines tested Wasteland 2

and it has gotten 72% (PCGames) and 81% from Gamestar.

In Germany a good game has to get 85% or at least 83%. 

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/wasteland-2/wertung/47852.html

The main reason for getting a not so high percentage rating was the boring combat mode and a realy bad and buggy translation into German. Some say it is unplayable in German.

So please take a look at the ratings of testers of Wasteland 2 and PLEASE do not make the same mistakes as InXile.

(Don't get me wrong: Wasteland 2 is a good game, but it could be much better with a little more polish and better quality work).

I realy want PoE to be a great game as I could imagine that it could be the first game of a series. Hopefully. 

Now it is up to you, Obsidian!

Edited by lightblade75
  • Like 1

Could the issue have been handled better by Obsidian? Like sending out a backer update to all the backers yesterday? All we have is a forum post by Brandon. I would've thought Obsidian would have emailed the backers already. It's a fair question to ask.

Indeed it is.  I don't mind that the game was delayed, but I do think a backer update was warranted and not some forum post or, apparently, and announcement from Paradox.  The Kickstarter backers funded this game, they should have been told directly and not found out through outside sources.

• Like 1

If you can fund this, please delay until June/July of 2015. So Dragon Age 3 and The Witcher 3 is out already. I realy want you to polish this game until it is flawless. And please take a look at the 

That's waaay too long. If poe isn't released by March, I'll be pissed.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

To be honest, I really don't think there's much to talk about at this point.

The decision has already been made. 

The game is going to be released some time next year. 

I think it was good than Obsidian was upfront with the forum and told everyone relatively ahead of time than delaying the game at the last second. 

Should Obsidian have sent out a backer update to all the backers? Sure. It would have been a nice gesture. But they did communicate the news in the forums and also on twitter. And they will probably mention it in the next backer update.

Brandon and company have consistently done 85 updates over the past 2 years. They haven't asked for more money. They haven't split the game into 2 parts. They haven't put anything into early access. They have been very professional in the way they have handled forum feedback. I am more than willing to give Obsidian a pass on this. 

And there really wasn't a set release date before the delay. It was simply Winter 2014. I don't think it was terribly urgent news that needed to be sent out to the backers right away. I doubt that the majority of the backers have allocated Winter 2014 as a blocked off time to play Pillars and this delay is going to alter people's plans for work or school in any significant way. Life goes on.

Some people are happy about the decision. Some people aren't. 

But discussing whether the delay is good or bad isn't going to change the date at this point. 

I am not a programmer. I am not an artist. I am not a musician. I am not a writer. I can't fly over to Irvine and magically kill all the bugs or make new art or make the game come out any quicker. 

The game is delayed and I am going to let the people at Obsidian do their jobs. 

I think if we want the game to be better, we should probably listen to what Brandon has said in the original announcement.

Obsidian doesn't want to ship a buggy game and they want to see what players find frustrating or helpful.

At this point, I think if the community wants the game to be as good as it can be and to help contribute towards that goal, they should continue doing what they have been doing with the beta, which is reporting bugs and giving feedback on gameplay. 

• Like 5

If you can fund this, please delay until June/July of 2015. So Dragon Age 3 and The Witcher 3 is out already. I realy want you to polish this game until it is flawless. And please take a look at the

That's waaay too long. If poe isn't released by March, I'll be pissed.
You will be pissed more if the game is bugged and not fun. And then still wait for patches. Better to wait until OE is really ready.

The only thing about this situation that gives me real pause is that there has been no Kickstarter update for the actual KS backers. Forum venues are traditionally little used by a given population of shared interest, and Twitter only slightly better (especially for topics with an older age range). Other than that, well... People will get over it.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)