Delayed to early 2015

IMO, since no other site reports this and Obsidian hasn't yet this looks like a screw up on Paradox side. (As in shouldn't have been posted so early and instead been a bigger press release/also mentioned by Obs)

Edited by C2B

It certainly seems legit:

"Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive announced today that the highly anticipated
fantasy role-playing game Pillars of Eternity, originally scheduled for release in late 2014, has
been delayed until early 2015.

Feedback through the beta process from those who backed Pillars of Eternity on Kickstarter
has been extremely helpful. The development team are listening to the feedback and are
incorporating changes to ensure fans absolutely get the best game possible. This short delay
will allow Obsidian to produce the quality of game that they can be rightly proud of.

"Since the very beginning of this project we promised our fans and ourselves that we would
release this game only when we knew it would be absolutely ready for the best experience
possible. We're very close to that point, but not quite there yet. The feedback we have received
through our playtest process has been invaluable to us. We are coming into the home stretch
but are pushing the release out just a bit to make sure we honor that promise we made originally.
Thanks for your patience and support, it will be worth the wait." – Feargus Urquhart, CEO Obsidian.

Both Obsidian and Paradox are aware of the anticipation the thousands of people who donated to
the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign have, many of whom have been clamoring for a game
in the style of classic role-playing games for years. And, rest assured, no one is more anxious for
the completion and release of this game than we are. However, we are excited to get the extra
time to incorporate the feedback and add additional polish.

Your enthusiasm and support has been energizing for everyone and we're just as excited as you are
for this game to come out and kick this new renaissance of classic style CRPG's into high gear!"

And Sensuki's list of bets is now very short of potential winners indeed. :yes:

Otherwise, I'd say this is for the best. WL2 did push their game forward quite a bit, and it certainly ended well.

EDIT: Perhaps good old Feargus wasn't pleased with the degree of IE-ness and CRPG sprawliness, and gave Josh & Co the following order: Moar IE-feel, Moar IE-depth and moar polish!  (plus combat xp)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Also, them being happy with all our beta feedback: This may mean a number of months more of sweet beta testing, which for some of us is at least as exciting as the game itself. :)

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I hope people get behind the developers 100% if this is true and give them credit for the decision. I'm a harsh critic of theirs sometimes, but I honestly think they need backing to the hilt when they do stuff like this that needs to be done.

• Like 16

sonsofgygax.JPG

As User barbarian_bros mentioned according to a Paradox forum post the game has been delayed.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1996-Pillars-of-Eternity-Delayed&

Uff, what a relief!

They really have a disaster with its current state.

Obsidian, just look at the games you've already made!

Like KOTOR 2 and Dungeon Siege 3, I don't expect the amazing combat of DS3 but at least make it flow instead of that godawful rigidness, incoherence, and lack of kinetic feedback behind any action.

Just further proof that they're rushing the game, u_u...

*puffs away at his bubble pipe*

Also, I second Malignacious's sentiments. When you make this ~5-millon-dollar game, hold it to the standards of all those other 20+ million-dollar games that you made under contract with big-money publishers!

Full voice-acting, cinematics... I want to see rain-drops drip from my character's eyelashes. MAYBE, if there's time, you can actually put in like 2 quests and a skill, and 2 different weapons instead of just one. ^_^

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 13

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

They said they put a portion of budget away in case of delays a while ago, so I assume this would be it ?

Not sure what kind of team size they're running now but I imagine it would be a bit smaller - probably a few less Area Designers, one character artist (Dimitri) although they may put some on for a bit at the end, Kaz alone on 2D ...

not sure about animators

Chris has finished his companions...

Although some other deal could have been cut as well.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Full voice-acting, cinematics... I want to see rain-drops drip from my character's eyelashes. MAYBE, if there's time, you can actually put in like 2 quests and a skill, and 2 different weapons instead of just one. ^_^

How about just animations on the level of games made over 10 years ago, even that would be a huge improvement.

They screwed up and they know it, at least that's a good sign.

• Like 2

BAdler:

"Through your help and feedback, the Pillars of Eternity team has spent the past two years creating a fun, fulfilling experience. An open development has enabled us to interact with our fans and backers in a way we weren't able to in the past, and this has really helped shape Eternity into a game that we all hoped it would become.  Plus, with the Backer Beta, we have been able to get excellent feedback from our backers that we are using to shape Eternity into an even better game. We really can't thank you enough.

To incorporate as much feedback as possible, polish every nook and cranny of the game, and make sure we don't ship a buggy game, Obsidian has decided to push the game's release into early next year. We are going to use the extra time to make Eternity shine for our backers, and a game that we were proud to call our own and would live up to your expectations.

Once again, we want to thank you for making this all possible. With your help we can bring Eternity across the finish line."

We love you and we will help you to the best of our abilities, so help me Josh! :yes: 

• Like 1

Now the question is, how are they funding this?

They've completely cut out all their electrical costs by designing offices and electronics that are powered purely by forum outrage.

• Like 16

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So, Brandon, Steam Early Access release on the original release date? You know you want to.

I am Monte Carlo and I approve of this message. Win / Win.

Edit - personally I think I'd wait until release, but if it mitigates the financials then I say go for it.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

While I am sadly a very impatient person, I am glad to hear this.  Too many companies rush to try to meet a deadline without worrying about the fact that the product sucks.  I really hope this means the game goes from good to great.

Guess i'll be dusting off BG and BG2 to scratch that cRPG itch.

• Like 3

I think this is just a big scam that was set up a long long time ago to mess with the release date bet in the other thread :p

On a more serious note, that's probably the right call. Alles wird gut.

EDIT:
On an unrelated note, I'm not the least bitter for losing that bet prematurely :getlost:

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 1

Guess i'll be dusting off BG and BG2 to scratch that cRPG itch.

Try Wakfu, best turn based combat ever made with so many classes, builds, great story, detailed animations(in combat), unique eco system. I like the Rogue, Feca's Shield and Foggernaut the best.

But be careful, the game is a time vampyre; you'll get lost in all the intricacies of combat, equipment, spells, passives, abilities...it's definitely a thinking man's game.

Edited by Malignacious