Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Delayed to early 2015

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

28/31.

.... so now any post that has the least bit negative connotations is considered on the same level as telling someone to piss off?

The user said that Obsidian didn't care about the backers (a completely unknowable thing) because they didn't inform them first, so I simply stated that it's... are you taking issue with how I write my posts?

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Could the issue have been handled better by Obsidian? Like sending out a backer update to all the backers yesterday? All we have is a forum post by Brandon. I would've thought Obsidian would have emailed the backers already. It's a fair question to ask.

• Monte Carlo, Sarkus, Abtacha and 5 others like this

constantine

constantine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Full voice-acting, cinematics... I want to see rain-drops drip from my character's eyelashes. MAYBE, if there's time, you can actually put in like 2 quests and a skill, and 2 different weapons instead of just one. ^_^

How about just animations on the level of games made over 10 years ago, even that would be a huge improvement.

They screwed up and they know it, at least that's a good sign.

They screwed nothing. It's just that 2 years of development is hardly enough for the scope of such a project. Watching the updates of the development process like so many of you, I prayed they would take the decision to delay, many months ago. Seems the turning point was the outrage of the community at the current combat system, unfinished class progession and the pile of bugs.

A decision well-deserved to the masterpiece Obsidian aspires to create.

constantine

constantine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Glad they did decide to give it a couple more months before they going to release it. Now my best bet would be that they prolly release it by eigther end of March or early to mid April. Releasing it Januar would be not enough time to really give it a quality polish (or at least that is what I would think). And releasing it Feburary well thats were The Witcher 3 will be getting all the attention (considering that the Witcher 3 is at the very top of a lot of peoples most anticipated game list I think that is a fair assumption).

Best release dare would be near Summer to be honest. If they released it this year they had to "fight" against Dragon Age which they can not win. Feb is Witcher 3 of course no chance. June or July seems like a great date and gives them some time too.

Although I too have quite the anticipation for the W3 (huge fun of the series), PoE is what I'd like to play more, 'cause it's what it's missing from the market (plus I know I'd love Obsidian's story-telling infinitely more).

DO3 ?? Seriously are there people in the forums that still trust Bioware(EA) will come up with a decent RPG ?
  • Malekith and lightblade75 like this

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts

The delay was a good idea.

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hi Obsidian!

Thanks for this good decision. The delay seems to be very important.

If you can fund this, please delay until June/July of 2015. So Dragon Age 3 and The Witcher 3 is out already. I realy want you to polish this game until it is flawless. And please take a look at the German translation. I think after English, German is the second important language. And the second important game market to sell your game.

A few days ago the german press, the most important games magazines tested Wasteland 2

and it has gotten 72% (PCGames) and 81% from Gamestar.

In Germany a good game has to get 85% or at least 83%. 

http://www.gamestar....tung/47852.html

The main reason for getting a not so high percentage rating was the boring combat mode and a realy bad and buggy translation into German. Some say it is unplayable in German.

So please take a look at the ratings of testers of Wasteland 2 and PLEASE do not make the same mistakes as InXile.

(Don't get me wrong: Wasteland 2 is a good game, but it could be much better with a little more polish and better quality work).

I realy want PoE to be a great game as I could imagine that it could be the first game of a series. Hopefully. 

Now it is up to you, Obsidian!

Edited by lightblade75, 03 October 2014 - 10:15 PM.

• karelia likes this

Sarkus

Sarkus

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Could the issue have been handled better by Obsidian? Like sending out a backer update to all the backers yesterday? All we have is a forum post by Brandon. I would've thought Obsidian would have emailed the backers already. It's a fair question to ask.

Indeed it is.  I don't mind that the game was delayed, but I do think a backer update was warranted and not some forum post or, apparently, and announcement from Paradox.  The Kickstarter backers funded this game, they should have been told directly and not found out through outside sources.

• Jajo likes this

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts

If you can fund this, please delay until June/July of 2015. So Dragon Age 3 and The Witcher 3 is out already. I realy want you to polish this game until it is flawless. And please take a look at the 

That's waaay too long. If poe isn't released by March, I'll be pissed.

• Quantics likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
late March/early April tops.
  • Malekith and Messier-31 like this

rf5111918

rf5111918

Time Lord of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

To be honest, I really don't think there's much to talk about at this point.

The decision has already been made. 

The game is going to be released some time next year. 

I think it was good than Obsidian was upfront with the forum and told everyone relatively ahead of time than delaying the game at the last second. 

Should Obsidian have sent out a backer update to all the backers? Sure. It would have been a nice gesture. But they did communicate the news in the forums and also on twitter. And they will probably mention it in the next backer update.

Brandon and company have consistently done 85 updates over the past 2 years. They haven't asked for more money. They haven't split the game into 2 parts. They haven't put anything into early access. They have been very professional in the way they have handled forum feedback. I am more than willing to give Obsidian a pass on this. 

And there really wasn't a set release date before the delay. It was simply Winter 2014. I don't think it was terribly urgent news that needed to be sent out to the backers right away. I doubt that the majority of the backers have allocated Winter 2014 as a blocked off time to play Pillars and this delay is going to alter people's plans for work or school in any significant way. Life goes on.

Some people are happy about the decision. Some people aren't. 

But discussing whether the delay is good or bad isn't going to change the date at this point. 

I am not a programmer. I am not an artist. I am not a musician. I am not a writer. I can't fly over to Irvine and magically kill all the bugs or make new art or make the game come out any quicker. 

The game is delayed and I am going to let the people at Obsidian do their jobs. 

I think if we want the game to be better, we should probably listen to what Brandon has said in the original announcement.

Obsidian doesn't want to ship a buggy game and they want to see what players find frustrating or helpful.

At this point, I think if the community wants the game to be as good as it can be and to help contribute towards that goal, they should continue doing what they have been doing with the beta, which is reporting bugs and giving feedback on gameplay. 

• ShadySands, Ieo, Endrosz and 2 others like this

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, maybe April is ok for the delayed release.

Jotra

Jotra

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

March/April seems like the best choice. The end of 2014 is packed full with new releases already. Start of 2015 has both Bloodborne, and Witcher 3 in February.

archangel979

archangel979

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1617 posts

If you can fund this, please delay until June/July of 2015. So Dragon Age 3 and The Witcher 3 is out already. I realy want you to polish this game until it is flawless. And please take a look at the

That's waaay too long. If poe isn't released by March, I'll be pissed.
You will be pissed more if the game is bugged and not fun. And then still wait for patches. Better to wait until OE is really ready.

Freddo

Freddo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm 100% ok with the delay. I rather have a polished game experience from start than a buggy one that need to be patched.

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The only thing about this situation that gives me real pause is that there has been no Kickstarter update for the actual KS backers. Forum venues are traditionally little used by a given population of shared interest, and Twitter only slightly better (especially for topics with an older age range). Other than that, well... People will get over it.
  • Monte Carlo and gogocactus like this

gladestone

gladestone

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yes they should have done a quick backer update.I myself don't use twitter or fb. For my games.found out through this post.How ever most games are doing this these days.If you follow star citizen at all they do every thing.Info comes from all over including sandis. Fb page.. Just saying it's the times an what devi are doing these days
  • Monte Carlo likes this

Azrael Ultima

Azrael Ultima

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

D&D is a half-baked mess that usually doesn't know what it's trying to do with itself, Next no less than any of its predecessors.

I think it is partially because it is assumed that you play the game with a DM who can make judgement calls and tailor the adventures to the characters present.

It is supposed to only be half-baked, with the players shaping it as they see fit and then finishing the baking process.
  • rjshae likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
If they happen to wait 'til April 1st, I'll get a pretty awesome birthday gift, ^_^

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Can we hear from developers, with what Obsidian is not satisfied and what will be changed within the game?

Major things we are working on right now:

* Restructuring class advancement to allow more options, both within the selection of core class Abilities and through the (many) Talents that we implemented based on backer feedback.

* Modifying some class features to be more transparent or just fundamentally work better.  Monk wounds (and many of their abilities) were very confusing previously.  We've revised them to make what's happening much clearer and easier to use.

* Save/load and other persistence issues.  This has been more troublesome than we initially expected and it has caused problems over a much longer period of time than we expected.  Save/load issues can be infuriating, so we really need to spend the necessary time on it.

* Memory overhead.  Dan Spitzley has already made good progress on this by looking at audio memory issues and inefficient texture use/atlasing.

* Adding in minor bestiary, exploration, lock, and trap XP rewards to increase the regularity of XP rewards across the game.

* Revising how time/turns in the Stronghold work.  The turn system (which elapses based on quest progress) solved some problems with time-based stronghold systems in other games (including ones we've made) but it causes some confusion. We're separating "turn"-based resource generation from the random event system, which will be based on the passage of world time.

* Pathfinding.  If we could have simply salvaged our previous system, we would have, but that did not appear possible, so we had to fundamentally rebuild it.  There are still problems with log-jams between characters attempting to move through the same space.

* Writing/narrative review.  On most projects, it's rare to never that we get time to actually review our own writing and consider how major plot moments and information are conveyed in the story.  This is also includes Karma Police reviews, where we ensure that the various choices players make have consistent feedback throughout the game.

* Animation feedback and general aesthetics.  We just added blended flinches for all hits (ones that don't Interrupt, that is -- Interrupts already have their own animation), which was something we weren't able to do at the beginning of the project.  They can be played while a character is in the middle of a reload, attack, spellcast, or even while prone, which helps a lot with feedback.

* Character model/texture quality.  It's difficult to balance the needs of a distant camera with the camera views you have in character creation, level up, and inventory, but Dimitri is making his way through the more glaring issues.

• ShadySands, happyelf, C2B and 39 others like this

gladestone

gladestone

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Mr. Sawyer

I'd advise talking to your fan base instead of Facebook next time.Trust in obsidion but bone head move on yell part do a update.Just some advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users