Scottish Independence?

BruceVC

What's the percentage of "undecided?"

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I went over this with my students today. Holy moly, there are some big headaches short term when it comes to going independent.

I'm interested in what were the key points you explained to your students? A  summary of course. Oh and kudos to  your school for teaching them about this development

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No true Scotsman votes no.

That makes over half the currently decided population of Scotland interlopers and puts the population of Hoondig-defined "true" Scots at a third of the population of London.

Just for context, you understand.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

It's not Scottish independence we're talking about here, it's English Liberation. From whiny, entitled, parasitic celts.

so, get rid o' the "whiny, entitled, parasitic celts," would be leaving you with... whiny, entitled, alcoholic celts? well, that ain't fair o' Gromnir. is not as if folks in scottland is markedly less alcoholic. no scottland results in a population o' whiny, entitled, and pathological apologizing celts? better?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Anglo Saxons were replaced by the French. Later mixed with immigrants from the days of Empire (Indians, Africans, Scots, Irish etc.). The monarchy is German. I don't think such a thing as an "Englishman" really exists outside of fairytales and romance literature.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The Anglo Saxons were replaced by the French. Later mixed with immigrants from the days of Empire (Indians, Africans, Scots, Irish etc.). The monarchy is German. I don't think such a thing as an "Englishman" really exists outside of fairytales and romance literature.

well, to be fair, most o' those good and god-fearing anglo-saxon englishmen is stew o' a variety o' genetic contributors, and the embarrassing romano-britons weren't wiped out or chased off so much as they were made... family.

http://www.oxfordtoday.ox.ac.uk/features/what-makes-british

fascinating.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not far off, though displacement didn't really happen. In fact the English are very nearly as Celtic as everybody else in the British Isles (though don't say that to the Fringe, they've got precious little else to be proud of, bless them). We are all mongrels here, though. I am myself a mix of English, Scottish and Welsh.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

My own opinion is this doesn't go far enough. 

I vote for a federal Britain with a number of separate states. Scotland, Wales, NI obvs. Then Northumbria and Wessex plus a separate state for Greater London; the north and south of England have little in common with each other and London's practically a city state to start with. They have their own regional assemblies with a central parliament for Greater Britain concerned with defence, foreign policy and the welfare state. The Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, the Hebrides and the Northern Isles are all distinct entities so they can have their own assemblies, too.

Europe's heading that way anyway, might as well get ahead of the game.

Kroney for PM!

Dirty deeds done cheap.

My own opinion is this doesn't go far enough. 

I vote for a federal Britain with a number of separate states. Scotland, Wales, NI obvs. Then Northumbria and Wessex plus a separate state for Greater London; the north and south of England have little in common with each other and London's practically a city state to start with. They have their own regional assemblies with a central parliament for Greater Britain concerned with defence, foreign policy and the welfare state. The Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, the Hebrides and the Northern Isles are all distinct entities so they can have their own assemblies, too.

Europe's heading that way anyway, might as well get ahead of the game.

Kroney for PM!

It sort of works that way in Australia. It's effectively made up of a number of City states with a large percentage of the population living in those state capitals.

Of course, the people of Cornwall are going to be mortally offended that you left them out ;)

Edit: I took a look at Gromnirs link regarding DNA mapping of the People in the UK. Interesting reading :)

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wonder if the "No" vote wins Firaxis is going to have to patch out the Scottish flag from XCOM.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

A Yes vote might mean they have to patch out the UK flag.

I don't even know why Scotland has its own flag in that game. It's not the only game I've noticed that in, either. Wouldn't have minded too much if English and Welsh flags had also been included.

Of course, the people of Cornwall are going to be mortally offended that you left them out  ;)

Edit: I took a look at Gromnirs link regarding DNA mapping of the People in the UK. Interesting reading  :)

However much they bleat about the Cornish language and St Perran's cross, they're still just a county.

Gromnir's link was quite interesting, but didn't really include much that was surprising.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

There are various strongholds of one of the two dominant dna types (Briton and Germanic) in the British Isles, for instance Cumbria has quite a high population of Norse (Norwegian) dna, in its mix of Briton and Germanic sources. Anglia and parts of Yorkshire are very heavily Anglo Saxon/Danish, indeed visiting Mrs Nonek's relative in their little village, one is struck by the amount of blue eyed and blond haired natives there are. The Isle of Man has mainly native Briton blood, but with a healthy dash of Norse, which is also reflected in there language. Could Mannannan have been a half Norseman?

Unfortunately the two Roman legions, Normanni conquerors and other groups didn't really affect the dna makeup at all, leaving the two dominant dna groups largely untouched. One a Germanic, Frankish and Scandinavian supplanting and interbreeding with the indigenous Britons. You can still see the differing skull shapes, colouring and various genetic cues if you travel the Isles extensively today. Very interesting in my opinion, especially the changes in regional accents, traditions and culture. Interestingly enough one of the only shared cultural elements is the Black Dog, whether it is called Shuck, Shagga, the Barghest, Padfoot or what have you.

One thing is sure though Scotland is not so very different in a dna sense from their brethren south of Hadrians, but then again no man is massively different from any other the world over.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

There are various strongholds of one of the two dominant dna types (Briton and Germanic) in the British Isles, for instance Cumbria has quite a high population of Norse (Norwegian) dna, in its mix of Briton and Germanic sources. Anglia and parts of Yorkshire are very heavily Anglo Saxon/Danish, indeed visiting Mrs Nonek's relative in their little village, one is struck by the amount of blue eyed and blond haired natives there are. The Isle of Man has mainly native Briton blood, but with a healthy dash of Norse, which is also reflected in there language. Could Mannannan have been a half Norseman?

Unfortunately the two Roman legions, Normanni conquerors and other groups didn't really affect the dna makeup at all, leaving the two dominant dna groups largely untouched. One a Germanic, Frankish and Scandinavian supplanting and interbreeding with the indigenous Britons. You can still see the differing skull shapes, colouring and various genetic cues if you travel the Isles extensively today. Very interesting in my opinion, especially the changes in regional accents, traditions and culture. Interestingly enough one of the only shared cultural elements is the Black Dog, whether it is called Shuck, Shagga, the Barghest, Padfoot or what have you.

One thing is sure though Scotland is not so very different in a dna sense from their brethren south of Hadrians, but then again no man is massively different from any other the world over.

Nonsence! By newest info All Europeans are mix between Near-Eastern Semites and Finno-Ugric original nhabitants of Europe (blue eyes and blond hairs from them, it's explain why Northeren Europeans looks  more blond).

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v513/n7518/full/nature13673.html

If we talk about UK especially then:

According to genetic origins of people from the British Isles they are not Celtic, Saxon, Normans, or Viking.

It turns out the Celtic, Saxon, Viking and Norman genetic contributions to British isles, are very small, and did not have significant effect on the ethnic makeup of the population as is overplayed in English history books.

Which explains why there is little resemblance with Scandinavian and central/eastern Europeans. The english have more in common with other semitic populations in spain and North Africa, hence why majority look dark and swarthy.

Moar in books "Saxons, Vikings and Celts: The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland" Bryan Sykes,

and the "The Origins of the British, revised in 2007" Stephen Oppenheimer.

P.S. And Norse Dna make me lol.

The english have more in common with other semitic populations in spain and North Africa, hence why majority look dark and swarthy.

I'm sorry old chap but i've travelled all over our sceptered isle and even the native Britons who seem to share some dna with the Basques are not swarthy, you do find in Scotland, Wales and Ireland dark haired and eyed individuals but they're as pale as all native islanders. Us native English are usually fair haired (usually brown) and eyed, come visit and see old boy.

Of course there are modern orange people, but they're dyed and made up to be that way.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I agree that it's farcical focusing on race, except for research in the field, we are after all only a few percent away from literally being bananas.

Tea for the teapot!