NFL 2014 Season

Nepenthe

C-Hox gave that game away.  2nd and goal from the 1, a timeout in your pocket, and you don't run Marshawn Lynch?  What the ****?  That was one of the most bizarre playcalls I've seen.  Pete Carroll outsmarted himself.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's crazy, you have 3 chances, 2 at the very least taking into account the time left, from the 1.  Run Lynch again and again.  Dude will get you 1 yard.  Such a stupid playcall.  It's like saying "I have this practically sure thing, but let me play Russian Roulette instead".

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's crazy, you have 3 chances, 2 at the very least taking into account the time left, from the 1.  Run Lynch again and again.  Dude will get you 1 yard.  Such a stupid playcall.  It's like saying "I have this practically sure thing, but let me play Russian Roulette instead".

Well, in their defense, there was only 0:26 left in the game, and Seattle only had 1 timeout left (after wasting 2 earlier in the drive).  One of either the 2nd- or 3rd-down plays probably has to be a pass. 

What I don't get is why that particular pass play, over the middle where a lot of things (a DB getting a phenomenal jump on the ball, a lineman getting a hand on it, the receiver bobbling the catch, etc.) can go wrong.  Why throw a route requiring precise timing in the most critical situation to a guy with 18 career receptions?  They tried to run a quasi-legal pick play, but the inside WR (Kearse, I think) was effectively jammed at the line and couldn't get to where he could interfere with Butler charging to the ball.  Where was the playaction fake or the rollout to threaten a Wilson run? 

Edited by Enoch

Well, in their defense, there was only 0:26 left in the game, and Seattle only had 1 timeout left (after wasting 2 earlier in the drive).  One of either the 2nd- or 3rd-down plays probably has to be a pass. 

You could ABSOLUTELY run 3 times with 26 seconds left.  A run play is not a long developing play, it will likely take 5 seconds off the clock, 6 at most, then you call timeout if he doesn't get in.  20 seconds left.  Even on plays in the middle of the field you can get back to the line and run another play usually in 14 or 15 seconds, at the goalline, where everyone is bunched up and no one is running far downfield, it's gonna be much less than that.  You call 2 runs during the timeout.  If Beast Mode fails on 3rd down, you rush back to the line and run again with probably 3 or 4 seconds left.  You run Beast Mode 3 times from the 1 what are your chances he gets in?  I'm guessing around 95%?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Possible, sure, but doing all that hurrying has risks, too.  (What do you do if you lose 3 yards on the 3rd-down run?) Assuming 3 shots from the 1, it's not necessarily a dumb move to try a pass on one of them.  And 2nd down is the best time to do so-- you can still use the TO if something goes wrong, like a sack or a reception tackled short of the goal.  The problem to me is calling a pass over the middle on a timing route to their #4 WR. 

They run a playaction bootleg there, and Wilson probably either walks in or throws to a guy as open as Baldwin was for his TD earlier.  And, if not, he makes an easy throw away into the stands, and they re-set for 3rd down.   

Anyhow, Congratulations to the Pats.  Bill Belichick is the man. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I'm curious if the thought that Marshawn Lynch will not be a Seahawk next year came into play at all.  

http://www.thenation.com/blog/196697/conspiracy-theory-surrounding-seahawks-last-play#

Apparently I'm not the only one who thought that might be it.  It does sound pretty crazy, but I had the same question when the 49ers were a few yards away from scoring two years ago and tried to hit Crabtree in the same spot 4 times, despite the fact they had run it very well.  It's like they were trying to choose who to make the hero instead of going for the best plays.

• Like 1

I'm curious if the thought that Marshawn Lynch will not be a Seahawk next year came into play at all.  

http://www.thenation.com/blog/196697/conspiracy-theory-surrounding-seahawks-last-play#

Apparently I'm not the only one who thought that might be it.  It does sound pretty crazy, but I had the same question when the 49ers were a few yards away from scoring two years ago and tried to hit Crabtree in the same spot 4 times, despite the fact they had run it very well.  It's like they were trying to choose who to make the hero instead of going for the best plays.

Based on watching them the last three seasons, I did not have that impression; it seemed like a pretty typical work day for Marshawn, and the Seahawks coaches have done that before--putting in a different play when it seems like the ideal opportunity to hand it off to Lynch. In many cases, though, it has worked out.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That's a bit too deep for me.  I think Carroll was being honest in saying that the personnel on the field were important in his consideration.  Seattle put 3-wide personnel out there, but the Pats responded with their Goal-line group (i.e., lots of big guys).  They were probably expecting NE to use a time-out to preserve time for a potential retaliation drive, but, for whatever reason, Belichick let the clock run down.  Running out of 3-wide into a Goal-line D is a poor bet, even if you only have to gain 1 yard, and Carroll didn't want to burn his last timeout on a personnel change, so they called what they thought was their most reliable pass play.  (Turns out it wasn't.  Or, if it was, then the coaching staff did some terrible play-design work.) 

The common thread with SF two years ago is getting overly reactive-- letting the opposing defense's apparent weaknesses determine your playcall, rather than being courageous enough to pit your strength against theirs. 

• Like 1

"Apparently I'm not the only one who thought that might be it.  It does sound pretty crazy, but I had the same question when the 49ers were a few yards away from scoring two years ago and tried to hit Crabtree in the same spot 4 times, despite the fact they had run it very well.  It's like they were trying to choose who to make the hero instead of going for the best plays."

All I have to say is if this is true total bush league idiotic evil nazish piece of **** play garbage.

"The common thread with SF two years ago is getting overly reactive-- letting the opposing defense's apparent weaknesses determine your playcall, rather than being courageous enough to pit your strength against theirs."

THIS. 100X THIS.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd be very surprised if future contracts and personnel decisions had anything to do with play calling. Especially in a championship game. With 14 seconds and 1 timeout in the pocket. The Pats were stacked for the run so Lockett was likely to be in single coverage. It wasn't a terrible play call. Inside slants are high percentage plays when the linebackers commit to the run. Had Wilson thrown a little more to the right or had Lockett snatched it away we'd be talking about what a brilliant call it was to deceive the Pats into run defense.

But Butler made a great play. You have to like Lockett's chances matched up against a walk on rookie. But that's how championships are won, players make great plays. If I were Tom Brady I'd give that kid the truck he won as MVP. He wouldn't have it without him.

Of course if I were Tom Brady I'd be rounding 2nd right now with Gisele rather that talking to you guys.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Hawks also have kind of a mediocre O-line. So, even with Marshawn Lynch, an inside run play against a goal-line defense wasn't anything like a sure thing.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

But Butler made a great play. You have to like Lockett's chances matched up against a walk on rookie. But that's how championships are won, players make great plays. If I were Tom Brady I'd give that kid the truck he won as MVP. He wouldn't have it without him.

He did give the truck to Butler. original.gif

(edit) Seems like that was just a rumor - nobody knows if it's really true yet. It'd make sense, though, given the guy's just a rookie and saved the Patriots from losing their third Super Bowl because of miraculous nonsense. tongue.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, really, what is Brady going to do with a Chevy pickup, anyway? 

"Hey, dude-with-$100MM-in-the-bank, don't you want to drive the same truck that your gardener does?" 

(His best move is probably to donate it to his favorite charity.  If you give it to an individual, you still have to pay the tax on its value as income.)

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

with $100mil in the bank, am doubting the tax implications is meaningful... though am doubting you is complete serious.

alternative: give to offensive line collectively... let them decide who gets the vehicle.  raffle? best bbq cook-off? thunderdome? am recalling how barry sanders would give exorbitant gifts to his ol even when they stunk. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

At least a few QBs still do that - I know Aaron Rodgers, for example, gave all his offensive line guys - even the ones still just in the practice squad - like $1.5k curved LED TVs (I"m not sure what curved LEDs are, but apparently this was significant enough of a detail to be included in the original report). I think Wilson...or was it Romo...did something of a similar nature this season, too.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

In a postseason sports radio interview, 49er OL Alex Boone was asked if Kaepernick had given them anything yet. Boone laughed it off and said no.

Granted, the 49ers were at the top of the most sacks allowed this year...

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle