Path of the Damned incentives

Hi all, I have a question regarding one of the difficulty settings, here is a quote from one of the backer updates:

"Path of the Damned is a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode"

Having played Heart of Fury mode in IWD I loved that the game gave me incentives to play on a harder difficulty setting in the form of unique items that could only be found when playing on this mode. I would like to know if Path of the Damned will offer this same incentive.

Cheers,

Koth.

• Like 1

Yes I too will probably be playing on this mode regardless, I just like that in IWD I was locked into this mode and no matter how hard or frustrating some of the encounters were I always knew that it was worth it for the incentives. As it stands, I don't like my chances of not just lowering the difficulty when things get rough...

I also would take issue with calling it the "Spiritual Successor" without these incentives. Otherwise it's just a boring static mathematic slider that increases mob difficulty by x% which doesn't really justify such a grandiose title as "Path of the Damned".

Edited by Koth

I think it's knocking on the door of absurdity to renounce the title of "Spiritual Successor to the Infinity Engine Games" based on whether or not Path of the Damned has unique items, but I would like to see some higher level items appear exclusively in the mode.

I say this, because even while I am unlikely to ever touch PotD-mode, I hate the notion of someone gaining all the treats a game has to offer on the easiest setting. If you want it, come and claim it, etc.

• Like 4

I wasn't saying to renounce the entire title of the game as being the spiritual successor to IE games. I was referencing that quote in my original post that refers specifically to the mode itself: "Path of the Damned is a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode".

Your second paragraph sums up how I feel as well with regards to the best loot going to the easiest mode. Think of WoW and heroic mode. /ducks before I get flamed for a WoW reference. On second thoughts, forget I even made the comparison for all of our sanity.

Edited by Koth

I can only speak for myself right now but considering how ball bustingly brutal some mobs are on normal I don't care what they do with Path of the Damned, I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole as the game stands right now.

^I will do a single ironman path of the damned game on my 2nd play - get killed by the first mob and then never touch it again :lol:

(Just, y'know, to get the figurative 'I played path of the iron-damned t-shirt' :p )

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I wasn't saying to renounce the entire title of the game as being the spiritual successor to IE games. I was referencing that quote in my original post that refers specifically to the mode itself: "Path of the Damned is a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode".

Ah, fair enough.

• Like 1

The items in IWD2 on heart of fury mode weren't so much an incentive as they where a necessity. Heart of fury mode was designed to be a new game+ essentially, so the enemies where much stronger and harder to hit.

Anyways I asked Josh about it some time ago and he didn't answer, if he didn't read my post or wasn't willing to answer, I don't know.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Heart of Fury mode in IWD2 was simply a sumonfest mode. Standing half a screen away from the battlefield and waiting for the minions to do your job for you wasn't really all that challenging. :)

I hope this time around we'll get something more interesting.

You could do that in any of the IE games, though I remember that you couldn't really do that in the HoF mode, unless you cheesed and went full mage party. It all depends on how you want to play a game, after all looking at guides isn't that hard really.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Heart of Fury mode in IWD2 was simply a sumonfest mode. Standing half a screen away from the battlefield and waiting for the minions to do your job for you wasn't really all that challenging. :)

I hope this time around we'll get something more interesting.

None of the IE games were challenging if you abused summons. This even goes for most of the difficulty the mods that didn't specifically nerf the them.