I like both the BG1 portraits and the IWD ones. They are complitely different in style but great in their own ways. Some of the portraits we've seen so far are pretty awful, but I'm sure there'll be enough good ones aswell.

• Like 1

I relly like the art style in BG1 portraits, but most of them really look rather cartoonish and over-the-top. They might have personality, but I always found it hard to find one that has the right personality for the character I was making.

PoE portraits seem to be a bit less formulaic than in other IE games: they cover a wider range of art styles and have rather varied poses, unlike those in BG1 & 2. While this isn't necessarily good or bad in itself, it means that it's easier to make external portraits match those that come with the game.

@Tartantyco, stop being an ass. Your opinion isn't any more valuable than anyone else's.

• Like 1

@Tartantyco, stop being an ass. Your opinion isn't any more valuable than anyone else's.

Prove it.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I like both kinds of portraits.  The BG style was very much like some of the paintings that you'd see in fantasy RPGs or on fantasy or sci-fi covers of the 70s, 80s and 90s.  Something like a Bob Larkin or the Hildebrant Brothers or Keith Parkinson or Richard Corben might have done.

The IWD portraits struck me as very impressionistic, like a Degas, Gustave Caillebotte (or if you will, like Frank Frazetta or Justin Sweet.  IIRC, Justin actually did some of the portraits used for IWD2 that originated with a cancelled BIS game).

The PoE portraits strike me as a mix of influences, some more impressionistic, some more realistic.

I like all of them, but I've tended to use custom portraits for my PC (one of my favorites is from John William Waterhouse).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Prove it.

I'll need large scales, you, and a duck.

... oh wait, no, that'll only prove whether or not you're a witch ...

Edited by neo6874

Most likely Obsidian is "focusing" on making sure that the Companion portraits (Kana Rua not sure if a playable companion) are very well done, and so far that seems pretty much be the case. You can definitely sense their personalities - Edér being a cool bro, Pallegina showing her knightly devotion and Kana Rua having sort of rastafari / jamaican chillness.

I don't care for any of the aumaua portraits we've seen except the backer one. I don't mind the inconsistency so much except those really don't fit the others. All the ones by Kaz we've seen are amazing.

I actually have a lot of fondness for BG1's portraits, but they are pretty goofy. Despite starting with your foster father getting murdered before your eyes, BG1 was not very serious in tone. Not to mention you had like two portraits to choose from and the rest belonged to NPCs.

ALSO I love the modular portraits and I'm surprised it's taken so long for such an idea to be implemented.

• Like 1

I cannot be the only one who hates this picture, because of the **** eating grin. :shifty:

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/b/bb/Male-wood-elf-portraits.jpg

A little dissapointed with the photo choices for my Wood Elf (right now at least...) and I am definitely not a fan of these 3.

Also, I think that when you have 3 photos in a row where the base photo stays the same while superficial changes happen (i.e. - hair style) you lose a little of the "wow" or unique factor.

It may seem like a petty thing griping about character portraits.  However, with the limited character model options offered coupled with the low-level of detail of those options:  The portrait of your character becomes pretty important (to me!).  It helps visually define in vivid detail what exactly my character, and companions, look like. 

I hope there are a few more options...I found one I do like for my wood-elf but again...just one.