What's on the idiot box... Part 3

Rosbjerg

Heh. Apparently the network is shooting down John Constantine smoking on the show..

Supposedly they are going to set it after he cured his cancer and decided not to repeat.

Not bad, NBC — not bad at all. Casting John Constantine as a British guy who dresses like John Constantine? Pretty ballsy of you, and by "pretty ballsy" I mean "unusually competent." Unfortunately, producer David S. Goyer has said that Constantine's trademark chain-smoking may not make it to to the TV show, as networks are loathe to show such a disgusting, socially unacceptable practice. In unrelated news, Law & Order SVU once had an episode about a 12-year-old accused of raping and murdering a cancer patient. I don't think anyone smoked though, thank goodness!

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think your actual post is in the wrong place there, Oerwinde. :)

Legend of Korra starting again, and the first couple of episodes have been remarkably competent as well as gorgeously animated. Looking forward to the rest of the season, but expecting another letdown of a finale.

Yeah, sometimes happens when trying to post on mobile. Trying to paste stuff is a nightmare too, always pastes at the top of the edit box instead of where the cursor is.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Taking the slow weekend to marathon my way through Continuum season 3...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

With the kids away me and Mrs Nonek snuggled up and watched a DVD she'd been recommended, Storm of the Century, adapted from a Steven King work apparently. Really quite good, with the usual excellent sense of place that King puts into his work, the large cast is uniformly excellent and distinctive, and the antagonist though very simple works exceptionally well. Nice little morality play, remains ambiguous to the end.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Taking the slow weekend to marathon my way through Continuum season 3...

I love Continuum. Though sometimes the editing/pacing makes you feel like you missed something. Latest season finale was bonkers.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well if the number of times I swore out loud, in surprise, is any indication ... Extant is a masterpiece. I probably blurted more OMG's, WTF's, HS's, and JH.C's than any show in recent memory, sci-fi or no sci-fi. Ms. Berry just garnered infinity respect from this viewer, after that performance, HS. Production values off the charts. Totally, refreshingly unpredictable.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Watched the first episode of The Strain. Could have been better, but I'm glad the vampires aren't lovesick emo dudes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hell yes, came in from a 12-hour day outside and found an Amazon Gold Box Deal in my inbox ... the original Cosmos series by Carl Sagan for $39. Today only. 780 minutes of Carl's dreamy voice telling me it's okay to be alive and marvel at the universe. BOOM! 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Black Sails Quite an interesting series set 20 years before the events of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. Great show and loved the season finale and can't wait for Season 2.

Dead Set Been meaning to watch this for ages and damn this was good. Loved the producer in the show. He was a crack up.

Defying Gravity This is on a lot of top sci-fi show lists as well as shows that were cancelled early. The special effects was awesome for a TV show and what a great story. I knew going into this that I was going to be disappointed with a cliffhanger ending but the entire show was well worth it. Could have seen this going for around 5 seasons. Shame it got cancelled after the first season.

Les Revenants (the Returned). French TV show of people coming back to life to a small town. The little boy comes across as creepy. Really atmospheric and can't wait for Season 2 to hit this year. I did watch the French film Les Revenants this TV shows is based on. Enjoyed the movie. A very good departure from the film so no idea what to expect in the TV series.

Resurrection This is a similar show to les Revenants but from a different author. Very similar to the French version in story but the little boy is all cute, not scary at all. Very PG family rated and not as atmospheric as the French version. The story doesn't make as much sense as the French version (due to different source material and authors) and totally different finale. I prefer the French version due to the creepiness and story being more consistent. It appears the French version may get remade for American audiences as 'The Returned' but doesn't make much sense as people will probably think it's a rip off of Resurrection.

Metal Hurlant Chronicles Finished Season 2 and enjoyed this series. Similar to the Twilight Zone with a twist at the end of every episode. Preferred Season 1 but Season 2 was still good.

Teen Wolf Seasons 1 - 3. Have a couple of (female) friends saying I need to watch this and been bugging me for ages. So I watched the entire 3 seasons over a week. The coach is a crack up. Yeah, not a bad show and enjoyed how the story has progressed. There's usually a big bad every season and it's good how they mix the folklore into it.

Watched the season 4 finale of Breaking Bad. This show is completely mental.

Saul Goodman is my favorite character. I heard there's a spin-off show in the works with him as the main guy. Yes, please.

If you liked Defying Gravity, you might like to chase up Threshold and Odyssey 5. Again, both sci-fi series that got cancelled after the first season, but both worked really nicely with over-all story arc, individual episodes, and some good character interactions and snarky dialogue.

• Like 1

Watched the first episode of The Strain. Could have been better, but I'm glad the vampires aren't lovesick emo dudes.

I have just watched the second episode of The Strain and this show is excellent, so many unknown and exciting developments. I predict this series is going to do very well

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

For the amusing tv news..

Sean Bean Joins the 'Don't Kill Sean Bean' Campaign

There's something about acclaimed actor Sean Bean; he tends to die in a good deal of his screen vehicles. And this hasn't gone unnoticed by producers behind his latest US venture entitled Legends.

The TNT drama is about an undercover agent who can transform himself into other people - he will have a different identity in each episode. Sean Bean, who recently starred in the axed ABC TV show Missing, stepped in to replace Brendan Fraser of The Mummy fame.

But how long will he remain in the series? What better way to create some press and publicity about the forthcoming show than to capitalise on his rather unfortunate habit of kicking the bucket on screen?

TNT created the #Don'tKillSeanBean campaign and the actor has apparently backed the movement, even going as far as wearing a T-shirt with the slogan.

Tricia Melton, a TNT marketing executive said: ‘When we started working with Sean, we realised early on that the type and manner of his deaths in his previous work was something his fan base is fixated on. We decided to listen to the fans and incorporate their passion into the campaign. But never in our wildest dreams did we think it would take off like it has."

Sean Bean has been shot, decapitated, blown up - and that's just for starters.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I have mentioned this before but if you like your horror series you must start watching The Strain, it really is brilliant. Also I started watching Third Watch again, its an old cop show, started in 1999,  but very good. I am only on season 1 and I did most watch most of it years ago but its  highly recommended

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll second Bruce, while I haven't caught the last episode the first three episodes of The Strain were remarkably good. It starts out as Dracula as filtered through Guillermo del Toro's unique style and it seems to be building towards a mass monster rumble.

Hit DS9 first. Voyager gets a bit too stuck on making all bad guys lose any trait of danger, and every few episodes makes you question why they have a security officer. Either the crew is being kidnapped, the bridge officers are being kidnapped, or someone is stealing the ship...

DS9 can be a bit hard to get through with the first three seasons. I found it to be absolute torture wading through the filler episodes to get the small nuggets of information about the main story and the character backgrounds. Once you get to the 4th season, it's great and you'll quickly forget about the first three seasons. I know I have and have never watched the first 3 seasons again.

On the other hand, the first two seasons of Voyager were terrible with the Kazon (poor man's Klingon). My pick would be DS9 only because Season 4-7 is mostly pure awesome.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Heh, of course season 4-7 is where they kind of pasted over B5's style story arc and had the giant war storyline running through most of it.

Gang Related, its really good. Its about a crack gang task force in LA that brings down organised crime. But one of  the task force members is actually working with the main Latino gang that they are trying to break-up. And this cop is also the main hero in the series so you can imagine the emotional dynamics and stress involved.

Highly recommended

John Milton