What are you playing now

I would observe that Dark Souls is unmatched as a game in terms of it's anger-generating potential.

This game would like to have a word with you

dragons%20lair%20usafront.jpg

Dragon's Lair straight up broke the Frustration-o-meter.

As for what I'm playing, more Monster Hunter 3.  Giant monster battles are tons of fun.  In a weird way, seeing the monster flee to a different location on the map and having to chase it down add to the feeling of accomplishment when you finally take it down.  There is definite satisfaction and anticipation when it starts limping and stumbling and you know you're getting close.  It's always a good sign when a game an make a 15 minute long battle fun, rather than tedious.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What a horrible summer when it comes to new games coming out that I'm looking forward to.

It seems like forever since I actually was looking forward to a game coming out.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm. It's only in Alpha and noticed I got an invite in one of my email accounts back on the 2nd. Never played Dota or any of those types of games so I have no idea about it. Tried this out and it's pretty cool. Funny seeing a space marine on a horse. :) And the cinematics are awesome. But can't see myself playing this. Not really into the online team competition thing.

Finished Dead Space 3, can't complain since I got it in sale, wouldn't say I personally consider it worth the full price. Hope there's a sale again soonish so I can grab the DLC as well €10 is a bit too much imho.

The game isn't bad per se but I doubt they'll ever be able to recreate the atmosphere of the first. I also didn't care too much for the weapon customization options, maybe if the UI for them hadn't been so convoluted I would have experimented with that some more. Character faces somehow looked rather deformed to me. Other than that it was a fun atmospheric shooter, it was just a bit of a bummer that there's missions you're locked out of when not playing co-op.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

Finished Dead Space 3, can't complain since I got it in sale, wouldn't say I personally consider it worth the full price. Hope there's a sale again soonish so I can grab the DLC as well €10 is a bit too much imho.

The game isn't bad per se but I doubt they'll ever be able to recreate the atmosphere of the first. I also didn't care too much for the weapon customization options, maybe if the UI for them hadn't been so convoluted I would have experimented with that some more. Character faces somehow looked rather deformed to me. Other than that it was a fun atmospheric shooter, it was just a bit of a bummer that there's missions you're locked out of when not playing co-op.

I enjoyed DS3, I thought they improved on everything in the last 2 games. Like the crafting and the side quests. But end of the day I just think the whole concept behind the series is getting a bit tired now. The narrative isn't as exciting but I still thought the game was very entertaining

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I enjoyed DS3, I thought they improved on everything in the last 2 games. Like the crafting and the side quests. But end of the day I just think the whole concept behind the series is getting a bit tired now. The narrative isn't as exciting but I still thought the game was very entertaining

Indeed, I enjoyed the game. I just think that knowing more or less what is going on kills the suspense the first had ("WTF did I end up in here?"), kind of like the F.E.A.R. games I guess. The sidequests, well, the single player ones all turned out rather similar ending with you having to fight of a bunch of waves of Necromorphs while a box comes down on an elevator (except the last one, which has some of those annoying Regenerators, I really hate those things), though the logs you find make them more exciting as you try to figure out what went on all those years ago (archaeology while shooting evil stuff, yes please!). I hear the co-op ones are more interesting, but I didn't get to experience those (and I seriously doubt my gf is interested in playing co-op Dead Space :p).

I found the crafting idea in itself interesting, but I thought it was a bit too hard to figure out what you were gonna get before you actually made it. A better UI would have made experimenting a lot less tedious imho. In the end I think I only really used a few different weapons throughout the entire game:

* the Planet Cracker, an improved plasma cutter (which I received for playing DS2):

* the regular line gun

* a shotgun with an impact hammer, which was my mainstay for most of the game (and replaced the line gun)

* I had a short stint with a pulse rifle when I started encountering humanoid enemies again

* the Pitch Black 392 a chain gun with stasis module (and knock back thingy as secondary fire), this gun is beyond awesome and can probably count as "the one gun you'll ever need".

And at the end I experimented a bit with a flame thrower/ripper combination which proved only really useful against those skinny Necromorphs that like to swarm you (due to the flamer). The ripper really lost a lot of feathers since DS1 though and I used it more for old times' sake than because it was awesomely useful (maybe with a stasis module, though, but I couldn't figure out how to do that).

Btw did you play the DLC, what did you think of it?

• Like 1

Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm. It's only in Alpha and noticed I got an invite in one of my email accounts back on the 2nd. Never played Dota or any of those types of games so I have no idea about it. Tried this out and it's pretty cool. Funny seeing a space marine on a horse. :) And the cinematics are awesome. But can't see myself playing this. Not really into the online team competition thing.

Yeah funny, well to each his own

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Indeed, I enjoyed the game. I just think that knowing more or less what is going on kills the suspense the first had ("WTF did I end up in here?"), kind of like the F.E.A.R. games I guess. The sidequests, well, the single player ones all turned out rather similar ending with you having to fight of a bunch of waves of Necromorphs while a box comes down on an elevator (except the last one, which has some of those annoying Regenerators, I really hate those things), though the logs you find make them more exciting as you try to figure out what went on all those years ago (archaeology while shooting evil stuff, yes please!). I hear the co-op ones are more interesting, but I didn't get to experience those (and I seriously doubt my gf is interested in playing co-op Dead Space :p).

I found the crafting idea in itself interesting, but I thought it was a bit too hard to figure out what you were gonna get before you actually made it. A better UI would have made experimenting a lot less tedious imho. In the end I think I only really used a few different weapons throughout the entire game:

* the Planet Cracker, an improved plasma cutter (which I received for playing DS2):

* the regular line gun

* a shotgun with an impact hammer, which was my mainstay for most of the game (and replaced the line gun)

* I had a short stint with a pulse rifle when I started encountering humanoid enemies again

* the Pitch Black 392 a chain gun with stasis module (and knock back thingy as secondary fire), this gun is beyond awesome and can probably count as "the one gun you'll ever need".

And at the end I experimented a bit with a flame thrower/ripper combination which proved only really useful against those skinny Necromorphs that like to swarm you (due to the flamer). The ripper really lost a lot of feathers since DS1 though and I used it more for old times' sake than because it was awesomely useful (maybe with a stasis module, though, but I couldn't figure out how to do that).

Btw did you play the DLC, what did you think of it?

Nah I didn't play any DLC. I only play DLC of games I really enjoy, like Sleeping Dogs :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You got ripped off, the Sleeping Dogs DLCs were awful.  Arma 3 currently, learning the editor so I can make something for my friends and I to play, have tasks down (so do one task, then another is assigned).  Just need to play with having the mission end, and I think that's about all I need for a start - the rest I recall from Arma 2 creation.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You got ripped off, the Sleeping Dogs DLCs were awful. 

I disagree.  They were quite short, which is disappointing, but I thought the Sleeping Dogs DLCs were quite fun.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You got ripped off, the Sleeping Dogs DLCs were awful. 

I disagree.  They were quite short, which is disappointing, but I thought the Sleeping Dogs DLCs were quite fun.

I agree, the Zodiac tournament was very entertaining

John Milton 

Found both of them that I played to be rather dull, the Zodiac one especially.  Though the fight in the room with the ceiling coming down was something interesting, I suppose.  But not like I paid a lot for it, got it on a Steam sale.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guest Slinky

Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut.

Didn't like it quite as much as I did the first time I played the original version when it was released. Was a bit annoying how the game won't allow the player to be both stealthy and lethal, beat someone unconscious and nobody hears a thing but when you stab someone everyone within a mile is going lol wtf. Also the animations during conversations are still awful alright.

But I don't agree at all with is the criticism the last level got from some, I really enjoyed it the first time and did so again. After spending ~40 hours being patiently stealthy and waiting for opportunities to drop enemies without anyone noticing, the joy of shooting the hell out of everyone with a fully upgraded heavy rifle felt awesome, trying to aim throught the massive flashing muzzle fire while mowing down people with full auto!

Also forgot the original Deus Ex theme plays after the end credits  :wub:

Max Payne 3. If only there were a Blade Runner style 'director's cut' of the game that axed Max's narration...

and made him a replicant.

As is, it's pretty hamfisted.

Edited by Tel Aviv

Didn't like it quite as much as I did the first time I played the original version when it was released. Was a bit annoying how the game won't allow the player to be both stealthy and lethal, beat someone unconscious and nobody hears a thing but when you stab someone everyone within a mile is going lol wtf. Also the animations during conversations are still awful alright.

But I don't agree at all with is the criticism the last level got from some, I really enjoyed it the first time and did so again. After spending ~40 hours being patiently stealthy and waiting for opportunities to drop enemies without anyone noticing, the joy of shooting the hell out of everyone with a fully upgraded heavy rifle felt awesome, trying to aim throught the massive flashing muzzle fire while mowing down people with full auto!

I know the loud lethality is a bit contrived, but they did it because dead people, unlike unconscious ones, can't be brought back to hunt you down when discovered :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Max Payne 3. If only there were a Blade Runner style 'director's cut' of the game that axed Max's narration...

Not really a Max Payne game without Max's narration.  I'd like ones to cut out the weird strobe effect they keep tossing in with the cutscenes.

Guest Slinky

I know the loud lethality is a bit contrived, but they did it because dead people, unlike unconscious ones, can't be brought back to hunt you down when discovered :p

Really? I guess that makes sense, but not really still... I don't think anyone got revived during my game, but I did drag the bodies out of sight.

Not really a Max Payne game without Max's narration.  I'd like ones to cut out the weird strobe effect they keep tossing in with the cutscenes.

I've no beef whatsoever with the narration in one or two, I just think Rockstar did a piss poor job writing the third. James McCaffrey was terrific though.

I am still wondering how the events in MP3 help him get over his wife and daughter's death though.  Maybe will replay it.

I am still wondering how the events in MP3 help him get over his wife and daughter's death though.  Maybe will replay it.

Its probably more the change of scenery in a different city, you know that saying "outta sight, outta mind"

John Milton 

Some people may just WAV their hand and dismiss the events in MP3.  Others give the developers FLAC for the whole thing.   :shifty:

• Like 5

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Really? I guess that makes sense, but not really still... I don't think anyone got revived during my game, but I did drag the bodies out of sight.

Yeah, I played on highest difficult setting and never ever had anyone being resurrected. Either I am too good or the game is still too easy.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."