Movies you've seen recently

Tale

I think people enjoyed Guardians because it was a lot of fun and didn't take itself too seriously. Not to mention how the soundtrack was integrated into the film.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Honestly I can't name many good movies from this year, so it's not hard to put Guardians up near the top.

Wolf of Wall Street

The Lego Movie

I'd suggest both are extremely good at what they do, and will stand the test of time.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I thought that most jokes in GotG were kind of flat. but I did enjoy the soundtrack, and it wasn't a bad movie. just not as good as I expected. I'm disappointed, but what can you do...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Honestly I can't name many good movies from this year, so it's not hard to put Guardians up near the top.

Wolf of Wall Street

The Lego Movie

I'd suggest both are extremely good at what they do, and will stand the test of time.

am thinking Gromnir might finally have to admit that he likes leonardo dicaprio as an actor. we disliked him for years, but somehow we likes most o' his recent body o' work. when actors we dislike sudden become watchable, our world makes just a bit less sense. the fact that matthew mcconaughey was also in Wolf almost caused us to have a brain aneurysm as we disliked mr. mcconaughey near as much as we disliked dicaprio. our opinion o' the stoned and naked bongo frat boy's acting has recent improved as well.

if megan fox or that mouth breather from the vampire movies becomes a good actress we may need give up on watching movies altogether. 

lego movie were just a bit too much like the cat poster it were joking about. will ferrel character mighta' ruined it for us as he were too much. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Fox and what's-her-name will become good actresses eventually. skill comes with experience, does it not? and I have a feeling they'll get many roles in the future 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Leo Dicaprio was never a bad actor though.  It was pretty clear from The Basketball Diaries and What's Eating Gilbert Grape that he had the chops.

Megan Fox seems like a nice person and all, she's got a bit of a geeky streak that makes her more likeable, but I wouldn't put money on her learning how to act.

Fox and what's-her-name will become good actresses eventually. skill comes with experience, does it not? and I have a feeling they'll get many roles in the future 

they is only gonna get roles as long as they is alternatively hot (fox) and cute (vampire chick... honestly, we forget her name.) but how many years they got available to improve before their more obvious talents degrade? that being said, we agree with you that mere fact that they get so much work should result in improved craft. world's worst carpenter should become at least decent at making a chair if all he does for 10 years is make chairs. directors ain't asking much o' these actresses, so how tough is it to learn to play their one role relative well?

am not an actor, so perhaps we is underestimating the skill it takes to play, "chick in denim shorts."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've liked Decaprio ever since The Beach (crap movie, but he sorta shone in it IMO). He doesn't choose the most obvious projects and clearly gives a **** about his work.

Then he pops up in stuff like Django and nails it.

As for Megan Fox and Vampire Chick... meh.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Just saw Guardians OTG and I gotta say - really liked it. The best marvel picture so far.. 

I find it interesting how we've come to love heroes who are so obviously flawed, to the point of silly. It's an interesting deviation from the golden era.

Fortune favors the bald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Gpg7kcji0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN_tkzT0Ygg

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

to be fair to both actors in those Twilight scenes, it's probably the director's fault they keep breathing hard while staring at each other in most of them. 

but I liked the "Alicia Silverstone of our generation" comment :)

Walsingham said:

jennifer-lawrence1.jpg

you don't compare Jennifer to the vampire chick

Walsingham said:

imagine that  :yes: and for her work in Silver Linings Playbook no less 

Walsingham said:

Just saw Guardians OTG and I gotta say - really liked it. The best marvel picture so far.. 

I find it interesting how we've come to love heroes who are so obviously flawed, to the point of silly. It's an interesting deviation from the golden era.

we honestly didn't know the mouth breather's name, so we searched:

https://www.google.com/search?q=twilight+mouth+breather&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS560US560&oq=mouth+breather+twilight&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.9160j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

as for best marvel movie, we ain't seen guardians yet, but spider-man 2 has been our favorite thus far. spider-man 2 is another one o' those movies we like that features actors we largely dislike. tobey mcguire and kirsten dunst don't make our list o' fifty favorite actors or actresses. nevertheless, we could appreciate rami's campy take on the superhero genre, coupled with excellent performances from supporting cast and surprising strong contributions from mcguire and dunst. 

we will eventual see guardians, but our first impression were that we already saw this movie when it were a tv series called firefly. perhaps guardians is an actual good firefly movie. 

HA! Good Fun!

mud

saw with girlfriend. her response: "so, 'bros before hoes'?"

sums it up pretty well. the happy ending seemed forced, but we liked it (marginally) even so.

HA! Good Fun!

Wolf of Wall Street

The Lego Movie

Wolf of Wall Street is a 2013 film, released in December and nominated for 5 Academy Awards for the 2013 year.

For my part I saw THE MUMMY RESSURRECTED (2014) - I do tend to enjoy any mummy film (its a character flaw) but this was one of the weaker efforts.  I don't mind low budget films (and this is probably a microbudget film - the trek through the Egyptian dessert looked like someone hiking in the High Sierras) but I don't understand why so many low-budget scripts decide to pad their time out with pointless inter-character bickering instead of some other kind of character building.  Add in some lame direction (we shouldn't know, for example, so early the motives of the dad character; also why so many two angle talking head shots?) and IMO the leads being more wooden than the supporting cast (never a good sign) and there's not much to recommend here (unless, like me, you have a soft spot for Mummy films).

Then I watched TARGET EARTH (1954)  - low budget sci-fi film about a small group of luckless individuals who miss the evacuation of a city and are stuck hiding from oversized robots destroying any human they find.  Fun with Richard Denning, Kathleen Crowley, Richard Reeves and Virginia Grey (all familiar to old time movie/tv viewers - amid many other credit Crowly had a re-occurring role on MAVERICK, Grey on WAGON TRAIN, Reeves a perinnial gangster on THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN and Denning in other B-Movies (THE CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN and TV Shows (Mr and Mrs North, Michael Shayne, Hawaii 5-O).  The film also has genre vet Whit Bissell in it (this time as a scientist as opposed to his usual military roles).  Not the earliest role I've seen him in (that'd be THE CRIME DOCTOR'S DIARY from 1949).  Overall movie was good if you like low-budget 50s sci-fi films.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

lol she won an Academy Award?

imagine that  :yes: and for her work in Silver Linings Playbook no less 

And nominated for WINTER'S BONE and AMERICAN HUSTLE

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man