Israel vs Palestine

Valsuelm

it's a fallacy to think that any of this has to do with religion. Religion is just a tool used by politicians to further their own agenda. If you look at those who represent their churches, synagogues, and mosques in the area, you'd see that they aren't the ones who further the bloodshed.

Jews Muslims and Christians were all living "peacefully" back when Britain was the big baddie in town.

Ahh, I don't think so. Religion can sway individuals to extreme acts and it can inculcate the young and impressionable. To say it's simply a tool of politicians is a gross simplification. And to cite ye old peaceful times when christians and muslims lived together is lunacy. There will be no peace between Christians and Muslims, ever. It's in the books. 

• Like 1

it's a fallacy to think that any of this has to do with religion. Religion is just a tool used by politicians to further their own agenda. If you look at those who represent their churches, synagogues, and mosques in the area, you'd see that they aren't the ones who further the bloodshed.

Jews Muslims and Christians were all living "peacefully" back when Britain was the big baddie in town.

Ahh, I don't think so. Religion can sway individuals to extreme acts and it can inculcate the young and impressionable. To say it's simply a tool of politicians is a gross simplification. And to cite ye old peaceful times when christians and muslims lived together is lunacy. There will be no peace between Christians and Muslims, ever. It's in the books. 

I agree in the sense that the core root of the problem between the Israelis  and Palestinians is a religious difference and the fact people on both sides feel they have a religious given right to certain areas that are historically significant. But they only believe they are significance because of religious doctrine

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Whoah, time out. You mean in the 'there will always be war' sense, or the 'we better exterminate those foreigners' sense?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Militant islam as we have come to know it is a relatively new invention. There is no straight line of kulturkampf between Christianity and Islam going back to the crusades. The world is also getting less religious, not more. Although I can't substantiate that, it's just a feeling.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I agree in the sense that the core root of the problem between the Israelis  and Palestinians is a religious difference and the fact people on both sides feel they have a religious given right to certain areas that are historically significant. But they only believe they are significance because of religious doctrine

That's true up to a point, but it's also true that religion and ethnicity are so intertwined here that it's difficult to make any distinction. Is it really a struggle between two religions, or between two ethnic groups (jews and arabs)?

On the other hand, among the Arabs are Christians and those do seem to react differently to the pressures they are under than the Muslim Arabs. Over the years, many of the Christian Arabs have emigrated elsewhere, while those that remain have not generally opted to use violence.

For example:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27883685

"A Palestinian Christian family that preaches non-violence from a farm in the West Bank is battling to hold on to land it has owned for 98 years. Now surrounded by Israeli settlements, the family is a living example of the idea of peaceful resistance."

I applaud their use of peaceful resistance, and I would hope to think that it may be a far more effective path than the senseless spiral of revenge and counter-revenge the Muslim Arabs engage in with the Israeli's. But then again I may be wrong, and people may prefer to give attention to bombs and rockets instead.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Militant islam as we have come to know it is a relatively new invention. There is no straight line of kulturkampf between Christianity and Islam going back to the crusades. The world is also getting less religious, not more. Although I can't substantiate that, it's just a feeling.

I dunno. I feel like we are becoming more extreme. People either don't care at all or they care too much.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

As for me, I came to a "resolution" a long time ago. A conflict like this is too embittered, too engraved to be solved by negotiations. On both sides there are enough people who think they can 'win' (whatever that means), so they need to show strength.

So I pray. That is my own resolution to this conflict. I pray for peace, and I don't want to know more than I already do. Knowledge and explanations don't help, hope is all we have.

This one might have been linked before, sorry if yes:

• Like 3

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I remember a great line from the movie "Kingdom of Heaven", an enjoyable if not terribly accurate account of the Saracen recapture of Jerusalem. When the two main characters Balin and Saladin were discussing terms of surrender Balian promised to destroy the city rather than give it up. Saladin quips "I wonder if it would not be better if you did"

Obviously that never happened in real life, but it is a true sentiment.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So your resolution is to ignore it, pretty much. :>

Both sides are somewhat right.. and somewhat wrong.

"Justice" is unnatinable.

Total victory is any side would be a mockery of justice.

The Status Quo  pretty much is already.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Praying is probably more constructive than some of the approaches tried. If the US and Europe really wanted things fixed they'd put sufficient pressure, including sanctions and arms embargoes on Israel, if the arabs/ muslims really wanted it fixed they'd put sufficient and similar pressure on from the other side; and things would be fixed, so far as they could be fixed. Instead you have Obama, Cameron et al tacitly/ openly supporting Bibi and Saudi, Qatar and Iran tacitly/ openly supporting the Palestinians, so both sides think they can win by fighting which actively prolong things and make them worse. At least praying won't make things worse.

Besides, there's nothing genuinely constructive any particular random internet person can do.

Praying is probably more constructive than some of the approaches tried. If the US and Europe really wanted things fixed they'd put sufficient pressure, including sanctions and arms embargoes on Israel, if the arabs/ muslims really wanted it fixed they'd put sufficient and similar pressure on from the other side; and things would be fixed, so far as they could be fixed. Instead you have Obama, Cameron et al tacitly/ openly supporting Bibi and Saudi, Qatar and Iran tacitly/ openly supporting the Palestinians, so both sides think they can win by fighting which actively prolong things and make them worse. At least praying won't make things worse.

Besides, there's nothing genuinely constructive any particular random internet person can do.

And I will still argue that the West aligning with Sunni dominated countries like Saudi Arabia makes sense and is the right strategy for the region to ensure future stability

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28325260

Just footage of a strike on a house, though i wonder what is the point of this though - just blowing up some people's homes after the warning and the "roof knock".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10427284_790584394294937_153595777852935

Couple of instant knock backs:

1) Rockets are artillery.

2) It's "Command and control" not "in control"

And even if the above were true, what does that make the guys firing rockets at Israel? What does that make people who believe in using military force against Israel?

I can't say this enough... I don't track this issue and I don't have a side. But portraying the Gazans as innocent concentration camp victims is bs. It's not that simple, and I suggest anyone who tries to convince you of that notion is simply trying to manipulate you.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And even if the above were true, what does that make the guys firing rockets at Israel? What does that make people who believe in using military force against Israel?

I can't say this enough... I don't track this issue and I don't have a side. But portraying the Gazans as innocent concentration camp victims is bs. It's not that simple, and I suggest anyone who tries to convince you of that notion is simply trying to manipulate you.

Wise men don't speak to things when they don't know what they are talking about. They listen and seek to learn.

A prerequisite to being wise is knowing your intellectual and knowledge limits, yet not assuming others share your limits.

Edited by Valsuelm

Just footage of a strike on a house, though i wonder what is the point of this though - just blowing up some people's homes after the warning and the "roof knock".

Good chance we'll never know for certain. It was possibly just random house chosen, but more likely someone specific Israel wanted dead was believed to be in that house. Either way, evil at work.

10427284_790584394294937_153595777852935

Two wrongs don't make a right and he isn't portraying one side as 'innocent'. When it comes to inflicting civilian casualties the Isralies have the lead though. Of course that matters when considering the whole picture.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Good chance we'll never know for certain. It was possibly just random house chosen, but more likely someone specific Israel wanted dead was believed to be in that house. Either way, evil at work.

Yeah, but if they want him dead, what does warning achieve ? I'm guessing it's just a reprisal for being in Hamas allegedly, they'll destroy your house as revenge. Bizarre way to fight, I say.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Against the rules of war too, viz collective punishment "Article 33. No persons may be punished for an offense he or she has not personally committed. Collective penalties and likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited.
Pillage is prohibited.
Reprisals against persons and their property are prohibited." The whole GCIV wikipedia article is worth a read actually, since it makes it pretty obvious that Israel is not following its provisions much at all.

Also the bombing policy is pretty dumb because they claim too much accuracy, and those things always end up with massive holes after meeting reality. We already had a bunch of people with cerebral palsy getting blown up because someone from Islamic Jihad supposedly lived in the building 3+ years ago and groups of militant Hamas operatives who were actually 10 year olds getting blown up on the beach in front of international journalists, too many of those (and assuming they actually get reported) and the whole narrative falls apart rapidly.

• Like 3