Random Sales

melkathi

I don't do any serious gaming with VR but I have a headset that my phone goes into and some mobile games that often get played during parties. It's pretty fun after a few drinks and with a Chromecast we can even see what the person is flailing about at on the TV.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

There is a Humble Bundle with "classic returns" including Shadowrun Retuns & Dragonfall DC, the last one is very good.

There is also Tides of Numerea which is a bit Torment to play.

Other fun games is Wasteland 2, Xenonauts which are quite good in niche. And some more.

• Like 1

Xenonauts and Age of Wonders 3 are the only ones I don't have. I do wonder if it'd be worth it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You can get every pc tomb raider game ever made for about $10.00 right now (minus the 2 newest ones of course).

Needless to say, I took the plunge and they really delivered. It's one of those few franchises that's holds up well still til this dat without needing any updates/patches, etc to keep it optimal for newer hardware.

Quite the design feat, I'd say.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 4 weeks later...

I found it to be a totally mediocre third person shooter with some really lame and hamfisted writing and railroading. It was clearly meant to parody and mock other games of its type, but because I basically have never played other games of its type (other bad modern shooters like Call of Duty, or so I presume), I thought it was quite boring and ridiculous. You may enjoy it more if you play a lot of games in the genre to begin with, though, and want something that mocks it and points out how ridiculous and insane it can be. So I would not recommend it to anybody who does not typically enjoy these types of games - it's not different enough from them in terms of gameplay to be enjoyable, and you probably won't care too much for the gimmick.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I am not a fan of shooters and I really enjoyed the way Spec Ops The Line told the Joseph Conrad story about traveling into the Heart of Darkness. It was well done and a great parallel to the book. 

I quit about the time my character told me there was no other choice besides to shoot a bunch of fatally poisonous explosives straight into a group of refugees, even though I could very clearly tell that that was going to happen. I remember reading later that one of the devs of the game said that the player does have a choice - to quit the game. They have zero choice throughout the actual game, mind you, but apparently the dev wanted you to exercise your ability to quit playing...which is exactly what I did, funnily enough - unfortunately, it was for the wrong reasons. If they wanted me to feel regret for my actions, they did a hilariously bad job of not making the entire game feel forcibly railroaded. A game where I felt like I was actually doing what was logical and just, but ended up being horribly wrong, combined with good gameplay would've made for a fantastic game. I got neither of those things.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

one of the devs of the game said that the player does have a choice - to quit the game.

And then devs wonder when players do exactly that and don't play their games :cat:

Just as in Expeditions: Vikings, when the only choice in a sidequest is to murder a bunch if children or leave an incomplete quest in your log. "It is your choice not to complete the quest" was the dev comment - yes, a lot of us didn't, but the gamer OCD then requires the ability to "abandon quest" so it stops showing up in the running quests list. A lot of gamers are OCD and hate that. (and yes, there is a way to finish the quest peacefully... that is if you have solved a specific, irrelevant quest early on in the game in a specific way, slightly counter intuitive to the people who care about not killing children in a game.)

Or when Rebel Galaxy named the contraband "Slaves", but did not include a way for players to free the slaves they tractor beamed in after a fight with outlaws. Choices were tractor in the slaves and become a criminal yourself as the only thing you could do with contraband was sell it (or jettison it) or leave them to die in space... (though I don't think the devs made a stupid comment on the forum :) )

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

That last one is tradition dating back to 1984- Elite had slaves that you couldn't tell were slaves until you picked them up at which point it was jettison them, or have contraband.

They also had the ability to capture escape pods and get slaves which was a pretty nice (well, 'nice') touch for 1984.

I am not a fan of shooters and I really enjoyed the way Spec Ops The Line told the Joseph Conrad story about traveling into the Heart of Darkness. It was well done and a great parallel to the book. 

I quit about the time my character told me there was no other choice besides to shoot a bunch of fatally poisonous explosives straight into a group of refugees, even though I could very clearly tell that that was going to happen. 

That's the rub though. The entire narrative structure of the game relies on that action. If they let you out of that choice, there wouldn't really be any descent into darkness. You'd be a good boyscout along for the ride, instead of the one making terrible decisions under terrible circumstances. You can't confront Kurtz with the moral high ground, it would undermine the entire journey down the river. Or desert. 

That's why I had the last three sentences of my post, :p. It seemed like they wanted me to sympathize with the main character, and think that the things "we" were doing made sense and were the right things to do...so that when things were turned on their head, it would be a terrible shock. Unfortunately, they failed rather spectacularly. I can only take the "we're soldiers, we have a duty to whatever and a job to do, etc." speech so many times to justify doing awful things that'll predictably go totally wrong before I think the main character is a complete moron. It doesn't help that the things they're saying to do are pretty obviously terrible even without hindsight!

Edited by Bartimaeus

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post that and fell asleep :p

Satellite Reign that boring ?

:p

I should have waited, I bought that a year or so ago :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I backed it on Kickstarter. Did not regret doing so even though I never finished it. I like what they did. The game does become repetitive though. Still on the list of games I mean to return to and complete.

Fell asleep because someone flushed a cleaning rag, which got sucked into the pump. Pump busted.

And of course no plumber ever shows up saying "It's a me: Mario."

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).