282 members have voted

1. 1. What race will you play as?

• Human
    • Elf
    • Dwarf
    • Godlike
    • Orlan
    • Aumaua

Despite all my jokes about playing a Big Head Mode Godlike I will more than likely play a boring ass Human.  I am sort of an anti fantasy player that likes fantasy.  My favorite type of character to play as is the gritty in the trenches dude who fights up close in melee and perseveres through skill, luck, and daring.... not my standing 20 feet off and throwing a lightning bolt or going "lol plot armor you cant damage me through my magic protections".

I can relate to this, although I am something of a light version of this. I very rarely pick spell-casters and magic-users for my first, second or even fifth playthroughs in CRPGs with good replay value. I tend to stick to rangers, fighters, clerics, rogues, assassins, and all kinds of mixes of these. However, race-wise, I'm much bolder. I tend to pick pretty fantastic ones already in playthrough 2 or 3. :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that rolling up a ranged player character in playthrough 1 is not a rare thing for me, as long as it's not spells that get slung, shot or whatever.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I tend to stick to rangers, fighters, clerics, rogues, assassins, and all kinds of mixes of these.

Haha, and I can relate to that, but not the races part. I only play humans or very human-esque (elves, for example), and keep every attribute as similar to my perception of myself, so I immerse 'myself' within the world. I feel a lot closer to it then, rather than playing as a glowing blue fairy with the ability to breath fire whenever I cough, ;). I hunt, so I tend to use ranged classes, but I'm an idealist, philosopher and pursuer of the guise of knowledge, so being a Bard works sometimes too. Depends how many of my attributes I can squeeze into one character's play-through.

Edited by 5anitybane
  • Like 4

5anitybane: I like your gaming philosophy. It makes lots of sense, I reckon. And as a former Brisbanite and banana bender, you get a special tip from my old cork-dangler hat. :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Since my "main" will be a Paladin or Mage I will choose whatever races get bonuses to Might and Intelligence respectively. Probably less on the Intelligence as AoE size manipulation and duration don't really excite me. Id rather every attack hit as hard as possible.

Because you're open to any race, do you plan on playing any specific race differently to the next?

Since my "main" will be a Paladin or Mage I will choose whatever races get bonuses to Might and Intelligence respectively. Probably less on the Intelligence as AoE size manipulation and duration don't really excite me. Id rather every attack hit as hard as possible.

Because you're open to any race, do you plan on playing any specific race differently to the next?

Do you mean will I play the same class as two different races? Not unless one of the NPC's is a Paladin or Mage of a different race. Im probably only going to play PoE once and I try to tailor the races strengths to the appropriate class.

Do you mean will I play the same class as two different races? Not unless one of the NPC's is a Paladin or Mage of a different race. Im probably only going to play PoE once and I try to tailor the races strengths to the appropriate class.

Ah, okay. I was meaning more if you were to play more than once, so I guess playing once pretty much defeats the question I asked, haha. But for the sake of pondering the question, I was referring to your in-game morality and decision making, as well as how the characters are played. Would you, for some tongue-in-cheek examples, tweak a Paladin on a second play-through to have a debilitating knee injury so they suffer a movement penalty just to make things interesting? Or a Ranger whose face was mauled several weeks ago and has no functioning eyes, so they permanently suffer the Blind condition?

Edited by 5anitybane

Ah, okay. I was meaning more if you were to play more than once, so I guess playing once pretty much defeats the question I asked, haha. But for the sake of pondering the question, I was referring to your in-game morality and decision making, as well as how the characters are played. Would you, for some tongue-in-cheek examples, tweak a Paladin on a second play-through to have a debilitating knee injury so they suffer a movement penalty just to make things interesting? Or a Ranger whose face was mauled several weeks ago and has no functioning eyes, so they permanently suffer the Blind condition?

Nah, I never self-gimp. Im a powergamer and I want the baddest mofo's I can put into a party. The reason Ill only play once are that since Im directly controlling six different classes, I usually feel satisfied that Ive seen everything the game has to offer. Im not interested in replaying games to see a few different dialog choices or stuff like that.

Are the examples you provided your preferred way to play?

I may try out a Dwarf as i'm somewhat enamoured of them at the moment.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I almost always exclusively play human in any game. Somehow I can't relate to fantasy races much and my favourite settings have only humans as sentinent races. Fantasy monsters are cool though and if there are other sentinent humanoid races available, I don't care as long as I don't need to play as one.

The only exception that I can think of was a wood elf in NWN2 which was supposed to max dexterity and strength so that he could be dual wielding scythes with the monkey grip feat without totally sucking. Called him the 'harvester' as he was pretty damn good at that at the end.

Good times, good times.

• Like 2

Man, I'm just as ambivalent about races as I am about classes... For the beta I'll probably go with some of the more outlandish combinations, like Aumaua Cipher, just to try stuff out, but I don't know what I want to do for a full playthrough.

For all that it matters. I'll probably make a decision when I finally sit down to play, I guess.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

I tend to stick to rangers, fighters, clerics, rogues, assassins, and all kinds of mixes of these.

Haha, and I can relate to that, but not the races part. I only play humans or very human-esque (elves, for example), and keep every attribute as similar to my perception of myself, so I immerse 'myself' within the world. I feel a lot closer to it then, rather than playing as a glowing blue fairy with the ability to breath fire whenever I cough, ;). I hunt, so I tend to use ranged classes, but I'm an idealist, philosopher and pursuer of the guise of knowledge, so being a Bard works sometimes too. Depends how many of my attributes I can squeeze into one character's play-through.

Personally I stick to (D&D wise) Fighters, Paladins, Rangers (mostly the melee kind), and Rogues.  I like the nitty gritty playstyle and being hands on.  To get hit and hit back harder, struggle all the way.  It should come as no surprise I love the anime Berserk :p.

• Like 1

Chaotic good Drow all the way

Take care that the rest of your party doesn't get too... Drowsy. 6_u

• Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Human godlike... I think. I will, inevitably spend my first character creation fussing around with my different options for an hour. And then I will land back on the thing I wanted to try out in the first place.

Yeah. Wouldn't want a bunch of slowpokes following you around

• Like 3

Nah, I never self-gimp. Im a powergamer and I want the baddest mofo's I can put into a party. The reason Ill only play once are that since Im directly controlling six different classes, I usually feel satisfied that Ive seen everything the game has to offer. Im not interested in replaying games to see a few different dialog choices or stuff like that.

Are the examples you provided your preferred way to play?

Ah, okay. Haha, those examples aren't exactly how I play, but I do like to self-gimp my characters. I also only play once but because of story reasons, if I'm heavily immersed in a game and its settings and story, when I finish the game it's similar to ending a book for me. Replaying it would lessen how it felt playing the first time and have a lot less impact, so it feels kinda pointless. I also don't really care about exploring every choice, I play as if I was in the game itself so I structure my characters around what I am like, and make decisions that I'd actually make.

• Like 1

My player characters tend to be good-natured xenophobes. This time around, a red-necked, yet altruistic Human Paladin or Priest with a superiority complex towards elves and dwarves. He'll clutch his sword tighter and immediately cross the street whenever he sees an aumaua walking towards him. Also, he can't tell the difference between one orlan to the next. They all look the same.

PS- Ashley Williams is the most well-rounded and realistic character from Mass Effect.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Human godlike... I think. I will, inevitably spend my first character creation fussing around with my different options for an hour. And then I will land back on the thing I wanted to try out in the first place.

Yeah. Wouldn't want a bunch of slowpokes following you around

That might seem a little far-fetched don't you think?

• Like 1

"A-a-amazing Grace, how sweet the sound"