No romances confirmed

I just found out there is a bg2 mod that lets you sex Firkraag. I'm disturbed someone used their time to implement that.

Link?

For science, of course....

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I just found out there is a bg2 mod that lets you sex Firkraag. I'm disturbed someone used their time to implement that.

Link?For science, of course....

http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/Readme-RE.txt

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'd say no, you can have companion quests without having alternatives and it's then your choice whether they are important enough to do something you don't really want to do, but then I'd say that the choice should be taken into account by the quest. For instance, in your example I'd say not killing the NPC should result in the companion leaving or possibly even turning on the player.

Though it loses the optional aspect if, once the player learns about it, some sort of consequence happens.

True, but then I'd argue it's an aspect of running a party-based game: you are trying to manage a party and dealing with issues in one way or another is one of those aspects for a party based game involving npc companions (as opposed to an entirely player created party).  In DAO you can lose party members while doing the urn quest (pouring blood in it causes Leliana and Wynne to turn on you) despite it being a story quest and in BG1 party members can leave if you don't do their quests in time or even turn on you as Minsc is renowned for doing.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

a

ay

No there are, but not with PC. How can you tell there are not shot-gun wedding or "farmers daughter" roamce or romance between one companion with another, if you are not a dev and don't played that game ?

You are still Trolling ?

Please try to move past Stage 1 in the grieving process (denial) and go directly to Stage 5 - acceptance.  It's the healthy thing to do.

I don't think we ready for stage 5 yet, I would say we are cautiously making our way through stage 3. These things can't be rushed and there are several emotional levels that need to be considered

Besides who would the target for all the gratuitous gloating that you anti-romance people enjoy...imagine how bored you would be if you couldn't keep raising the point that there won't be Romance in PoE :biggrin:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Link?For science, of course....

http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/Readme-RE.txt

That Mod looks like a very comprehensive and enhanced version for additional Romance options, its a pity I missed it when I played BG2 ;(

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

a

ay

No there are, but not with PC. How can you tell there are not shot-gun wedding or "farmers daughter" roamce or romance between one companion with another, if you are not a dev and don't played that game ?

You are still Trolling ?

Please try to move past Stage 1 in the grieving process (denial) and go directly to Stage 5 - acceptance.  It's the healthy thing to do.

I don't think we ready for stage 5 yet, I would say we are cautiously making our way through stage 3. These things can't be rushed and there are several emotional levels that need to be considered

Besides who would the target for all the gratuitous gloating that you anti-romance people enjoy...imagine how bored you would be if you couldn't keep raising the point that there won't be Romance in PoE :biggrin:

So, you're still in the 'bargaining' stage?  We'll all be here for you, Bruce, for the stage 4 depression. :yes:  

Actually, I've said before during the Kickstarter that I don't have a problem with BG2 level of romance.   They were easily ignored if you wished, but you still got a lot of interaction with the party members regardless.  I guess that makes me a woman without a country, neither promancer nor total antimancer.

Anyway, it's dead, Jim, it's dead.  I'll be thinking of you during your time of grief.  :biggrin:

(Did anyone else LOL at the thought of MCA writing a "shotgun wedding" or "farmer's daughter" romance? :grin:)

• Like 1

a

ay

You are still Trolling ?

So, you're still in the 'bargaining' stage?  We'll all be here for you, Bruce, for the stage 4 depression. :yes:  

Actually, I've said before during the Kickstarter that I don't have a problem with BG2 level of romance.   They were easily ignored if you wished, but you still got a lot of interaction with the party members regardless.  I guess that makes me a woman without a country, neither promancer nor total antimancer.

Anyway, it's dead, Jim, it's dead.  I'll be thinking of you during your time of grief.  :biggrin:

(Did anyone else LOL at the thought of MCA writing a "shotgun wedding" or "farmer's daughter" romance? :grin:)

Seems like he might have written one already 

• Like 1

a

ay

You are still Trolling ?

Yeah I was more than happy with the BG2 implementation of Romance. That would satisfy most promancers I'm sure :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

You missed the point entirely.  Chris has gone on record at least a few times with his distaste for writing romances.  I was laughing at the thought of Feargus or someone else asking him to write them and his subsequent reaction to the request.

And at the begining i was laughing about how porly they designed NWN2 in every possible aspect. I was laughting that they must go Kickstarter to get founds for their game, and i was laughing when anyone of your ever thinked that this whoud be next BG2 ...

We already know that this will be cross bread between nwn2 and icewind dale ...

But still how many people baced this game becouse it's supose to be BG2 and Torment inspired ? 3/4, the only people that can be glad are those who wanted next Ice Wind dale ...

And mayby becouse of that laughing Chis never made good game, becouse both fallout 2 and Apha protocol had his downfalls ... (funny theat romances never made him laght in alpha protocol, and possibly the only good game he ever did) ... oww... sorry .. Torment was good .. but wait a second .. we alrady cut our torment influenced in PoE ... so ....clone of Icewind dale .. crossbreed with nwn2 2 biggest fails from rpg perspectiv :)

let me "laught" about that buahahaha

Edited by Ulquiorra

Well he did say this. Someone asking others if they're trolling and then ends up saying SMD.

You are still Trolling ?

QFT

SMD

But still how many people baced this game becouse it's supose to be BG2 and Torment inspired ? 3/4, the only people that can be glad are those who wanted next Ice Wind dale ...

First off, they cited ALL the Infinity engine games. That includes Icewind Dale, not just BG2 and Torment. And despite your apparent distaste of it, Icewind Dale was an all time classic - loved and cherished as such by the same fans who sing praises for BG2 and PS:T. PoE can only gloriously benefit from an IWD influence.

Second, a cross-breed of NWN2 and Icewind dale would be a decent game, IMO. But that's not what we're getting, mainly because both of those games are strictly linear RPGs and PoE will be focusing on exploration.

Third, what exactly makes you think we're not getting a BG2 influenced game? Oh wait let me guess: No romances. Because there's no romances then it can't be anything like BG2.... right? LOL BG2 was SO not about its primitive (and trivial) romances. It was about everything else. Or to put it another way: BG2 was not a love story. It was a combat centric, high-fantasy RPG.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

I'm genuinely amused at the fact that most people against romances in RPGs tends to refer to them as "primitive", "juvenile", "poorly-written", even "perverted", etc. It's mostly an offspring of the tendency to call any character, story, quest, etc.  "poorly-written" simply because a person doesn't like it. Romance detractors seem to try and make this a question of correctness instead of taste. In other words, if you like romances in RPGs you're basically an idiot.

The way I see it, it's an effective way to completely divert the subject from its focus. And the focus should be on the difficulty that these people have to deal with a virtual romance at the same time they want pretty much anything else (friendship, rivalry, etc.) to be present. We have been asking all these years for games to emulate in some way aspects of human relations. We usually look down upon action RPGs precisely because they tend to not provide much in that regard. Still, a vocal minority insists in criticizing romances as detrimental for the CRPG experience, and instead of defending improved implementations of this type of relationship they simply want to get rid of them, a position I believe speaks of a too common uncomfortable attitude towards sex and everything that traditionally is seem as coming along with it (prejudice, guilt, etc.).

I believe the role of romances is severely downplayed by these people. My own experience with BG2 and PS:T tells me the opposite: I still remember my wonder at watching Aerie and Jaheira fighting over my character, something I had never saw in a game, as well as my subsequent decision to make my character choose Aerie much because I couldn't bear for him to get into a relationship with a widow of a dear companion (Khalid). In PS:T, I remember my character agonizing over his final fate, but taking some comfort over the fact that Fall-from-Grace could very well find him in the Nine Hells, no matter how tragic their relationship was due to her nature.

None of those experiences, which I remember clearly to this day despite having played the games at their release, almost 15 years ago, would be possible in a game without romance. There's no way PoE won't be a poorer game without them in my view, no matter how excellent other areas prove to be. If we intend in the future to regard RPGs as role-playing games instead of exclusively party-based combat simulators (what they mostly end up being), I can't see the gain in parting with the option of romance in a game instead of trying to improve it.

• Like 4

.  I was laughing at the thought of Feargus or someone else asking him to write them and his subsequent reaction to the request.

Imagine if Obsidian decides " that on further reflection they are going to implement Romance due to fact that the majority of fans feel they add a deep level of party interaction and a RPG without Romance would be lacking something "  :thumbsup:

My ...how I would chuckle

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I'm genuinely amused at the fact that most people against romances in RPGs tends to refer to them as "primitive", "juvenile", "poorly-written", even "perverted", etc. It's mostly an offspring of the tendency to call any character, story, quest, etc.  "poorly-written" simply because a person doesn't like it. Romance detractors seem to try and make this a question of correctness instead of taste. In other words, if you like romances in RPGs you're basically an idiot.

The way I see it, it's an effective way to completely divert the subject from its focus. And the focus should be on the difficulty that these people have to deal with a virtual romance at the same time they want pretty much anything else (friendship, rivalry, etc.) to be present. We have been asking all these years for games to emulate in some way aspects of human relations. We usually look down upon action RPGs precisely because they tend to not provide much in that regard. Still, a vocal minority insists in criticizing romances as detrimental for the CRPG experience, and instead of defending improved implementations of this type of relationship they simply want to get rid of them, a position I believe speaks of a too common uncomfortable attitude towards sex and everything that traditionally is seem as coming along with it (prejudice, guilt, etc.).

I believe the role of romances is severely downplayed by these people. My own experience with BG2 and PS:T tells me the opposite: I still remember my wonder at watching Aerie and Jaheira fighting over my character, something I had never saw in a game, as well as my subsequent decision to make my character choose Aerie much because I couldn't bear for him to get into a relationship with a widow of a dear companion (Khalid). In PS:T, I remember my character agonizing over his final fate, but taking some comfort over the fact that Fall-from-Grace could very well find him in the Nine Hells, no matter how tragic their relationship was due to her nature.

None of those experiences, which I remember clearly to this day despite having played the games at their release, almost 15 years ago, would be possible in a game without romance. There's no way PoE won't be a poorer game without them in my view, no matter how excellent other areas prove to be. If we intend in the future to regard RPGs as role-playing games instead of exclusively party-based combat simulators (what they mostly end up being), I can't see the gain in parting with the option of romance in a game instead of trying to improve it.

Wow, that's an excellent post. Nice one :)

John Milton 

No, the reasons I refer to BG2's romances as Primitive and trivial is because:

1) the mechanics are very basic and one dimensional (you cannot initiate dialogue; you cannot influence the relationship in any way other than picking the right dialogue options when the game presents them to you. The romance's pacing and direction is entirely scripted based on time and 100% dependent on the NPC in question) Also, aside from the romance dialogues, which the game forces, you cannot talk to the NPC at all.

and

2) Trivial. They're really nothing more than flavor. The NPC does not act any different, nor do events in the game change in any way. (for example. Jaheira will still have issues with the Harpers, will still get cursed, will still get visits from Elminster, etc. if you DON'T romance her.

Don't get me wrong. I thought BG2's romances were great, and at the time, they bordered on revolutionary. But lets call a spade a spade. BG2 style romances would be mocked by Promancers themselves if they came out in a game today. YOUR tastes and expectations have evolved and changed, whether you admit it or not.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

No, the reasons I refer to BG2's romances as Primitive and trivial is because:

1) the mechanics are very basic and one dimensional (you cannot initiate dialogue; you cannot influence the relationship in any way other than picking the right dialogue options when the game presents them to you. The romance's pacing and direction is entirely scripted based on time and 100% dependent on the NPC in question) Also, aside from the romance dialogues, which the game forces, you cannot talk to the NPC at all.

and

2) Trivial. They're really nothing more than flavor. The NPC does not act any different, nor do events in the game change in any way. (for example. Jaheira will still have issues with the Harpers, will still get cursed, will still get visits from Elminster, etc. if you DON'T romance her.

Don't get me wrong. I thought BG2's romances were great, and at the time, they bordered on revolutionary. But lets call a spade a spade. BG2 style romances would be mocked by Promancers themselves if they came out in a game today. YOUR tastes and expectations have evolved and changed, whether you admit it or not.

mmmm...you've raised some good points and they make sense on certain levels. The BG2 type of Romance might not be applicable in modern RPG

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

And at the begining i was laughing about how porly they designed NWN2 in every possible aspect. I was laughting that they must go Kickstarter to get founds for their game, and i was laughing when anyone of your ever thinked that this whoud be next BG2 ...

And mayby becouse of that laughing Chis never made good game, becouse both fallout 2 and Apha protocol had his downfalls ... (funny theat romances never made him laght in alpha protocol, and possibly the only good game he ever did) ... oww... sorry .. Torment was good .. but wait a second .. we alrady cut our torment influenced in PoE ... so ....clone of Icewind dale .. crossbreed with nwn2 2 biggest fails from rpg perspectiv :)

I think someone forgot to take his brain medicine.

• Like 1

80% sure I've had several actual romances like this in real life.

• Like 6

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

80% sure I've had several actual romances like this in real life.

Join the club :biggrin:

John Milton 

*shrug*

I happened to like NWN2, so I don't see it as a bad thing.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Are we really discussing "which IE game is *more* IE" due to... romances?

1 out of 5(!) of the IE-games had Romances, and now not doing them in this new game is ignoring all IE-games?

Logic, where have you gone?

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I happened to like NWN2, so I don't see it as a bad thing.

Ditto. 

Except for the camera.

I say good on 'em for focusing on actual content and not playing at silly burgers by jury-rigging half-baked "romance" instances into an RPG. Because it almost always ends up as awkward, alien and varying degrees of irritating. 

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?