game narrator / chapters

Excuse me if this has been discussed already, but do we know if PoE will feature a narrator and chapters, ala all the IE games?

I think the narration and 'hard' chapter-breaks in all the IE games were very much part of the experience, and I hope it continues in PoE.

• Like 5

It did lend a certain something I agree, personally I found the rich deep tones of Mr Stiers in Icewind Dale were probably the best and most memorable example. It might be nice to have a fine female voice if they are making use of this, Sarah Kestelman obviously springs to mind.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

In my book it's just as important as isometric view and party based tactical combat for invoking that IE feeling, so sure would like to hear any answer to the OP question.

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

And so the deal was struck.  The three forumgoers were in accord that narration was indeed a good thing.  However, even in the brightest of endeavours the darkest of hearts may lay wait.  FlintlockJazz, watching from his cozy bridge, struck!  He began by narrating the agreement of the three previous posters, then about how he would strike and then he started narrating about how he narrated the narration and then narrated that too and that, and that, before bursting into terror that he was stuck in an infinite loop narrating his narration including how he was stuck in his narration before realising his escape was via the title of the next chapter which would then appear next.

Chapter 3: The Forumgoers Forumate.

• Like 8

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Maybe not really part of the IE world, but I smiled from ear to ear at the start of MotB.

I know that "show, don't tell" bit, but I think it really adds something to the scenes when certain details are told when they can't be shown or just accentuated without making them stand out to be visible.

Thus the story began with a solemn, baritone voice that exclaimed, "You must gather your party before venturing forth...."

This is why I always make sure to venture third. u_u

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You guys go without me

I think I'll grab another one and wait 'till some bard or sage of sort, answers the oryginal question.

<shakes down the poor excuse of a foam, then slurps loudly>

Aaah... not as disgusting as I expected.

I'm more of a "War. War never changes." kinda guy. Like dramatic narration of the intro, and narrated summary of the outro, but generally I'm not so keen on chapters. For me they create a sense of linearity that I'd rather do without.

• Like 1

I'm more of a "War. War never changes." kinda guy. Like dramatic narration of the intro, and narrated summary of the outro,

Actually that would be pretty damn good too. Quick, someone hire Ron Perlman!

but generally I'm not so keen on chapters. For me they create a sense of linearity that I'd rather do without.

Possibly easy to avoid... You could get different types of chapter narratives depending on your game choices, maybe?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

but generally I'm not so keen on chapters. For me they create a sense of linearity that I'd rather do without.

Possibly easy to avoid... You could get different types of chapter narratives depending on your game choices, maybe?

They had this to a limited extent in BG - your dream sequences changed slightly depending on your reputation (standing in for your good-evil axis).  The chapter intros themselves though were the same.

So yeah, different chapter intro/extros depending on your choices would be good.  (Assuming they even have 'chapters')

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Nonono... You can have all those fancy d-this and d-that multi-layered mechanics, but I want my narration and chapters dividing cutscenes for that "story unfolds" feeling I've got back then in the late '90.

This, or I'll... do quite nothing about it.

Probably just rush out from the room for some freshly brewed tee, muttering some disappointment all the way :p

I think I can do one better:

Bastion-style sports-commentary-type narrator. None other than Nicholas Cage! 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I think I can do one better:

Bastion-style sports-commentary-type narrator. None other than Nicholas Cage! 8)

That's a funny coincidence, because on my first playthrough I believed that Bastion's narration was done by Ron.

Edited by milczyciel

This, or I'll... do quite nothing about it.

Probably just rush out from the room for some freshly brewed tee, muttering some disappointment all the way :p

"Darn kids, and their fancy-shmancy good-for-nothin' video game adjustments" :disguise: 

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

We are planning to have a narrator for the game.

*Crosses fingers* Come onnnn, Nicholas Cage! Come onnnn Nicholas Cage!

(But not really... 8P)

• Like 1

We are planning to have a narrator for the game.

Do a sound test where the candidates have to say the word "cornflakes" - give the job to the one who makes "cornflakes" sound epic :biggrin:

Edit: durnit, that's the 3rd time this week I've made a silly throwaway post that pushes it to a new page.

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I'm hoping for a croaky old man as narrator. It's been a while since I last heard an old man narrator. Everybody seems to go for young women nowdays (to make up for the lack of presence of women in key roles perhaps?). IWD2, LOTR, Diablo 3.

Or... *awesome idea*... have more than one narrator. Have the narration being two people telling the story. Squabbling about "what really happened" etc.

*chapter II intro*

"The adventurers set out to find the cause of-"

"Hey, aren't you forgetting something?"

"Oh? Oh yes. The old crone. First they met the old crone."

"The old crone of the swamp. There are many stories surrounding her."

"Luckily, our adventurers dealt with her. No?"

"Well, as I remember it-"

*chapter II begins*

Since the game will probably have ending slides, these two narrators could take turns talking about the endings too, so it doesn't sound too repetitive.

IWDII had the worst narration of all IE games. Completely uninteresting (well the plot of the game was rather uninteresting to begin with), completely void of character. Completely stale. Uncle Oswald this, Uncle Oswald that (whooo caaares about youuur uncleeeeeeeeeeeee). Then again I very much dislike IWDII in general.