Can we get a world map like the banner saga map

Contains plenty of lore and history about locations and has that old world look to it with the way that mountains and trees are drawn on it.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/26603035/the-banner-saga-map_789.0_cinema_960.0.png

Disclaimer: I backed the banner saga and I am enjoying the heck out of it.

Edited by Tuckey

You can click on locations and a box will pop up with lore about those locations. Basically everything on the map is clickable.

http://www.anjelsyndicate.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/BANNER-SAGA-MAP.jpg

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3423034747905158762/305641CAE8F9C03D3A7E14D968AA1E67D61AF601/

Edited by Tuckey
  • Like 2

Yeah adding annotations would be cool and would be useful if they linked to quest notes in your journal.

Why not have some lore on the map as well? It's got to be at least a little more convenient to see the location on the map, that the lore is talking about, rather than just reading it in a book with little idea of where in the world it is. I like having lore books in game and wouldn't remove them at all but I always felt frustrated that I had to imagine where in the world the lore took place rather than just seeing where exactly. Maybe lore books could add lore to world map locations as you discover them.

Edited by Tuckey

Banner Saga did not have codex system, there were no "lore items" to be picked up in the game and there was no dialogue aside from story-related. So the only way for devs to tell more about the world was to include descriptions on the world map.

IMHO this was not right way to do it since the only time you are required to open the world map is during tutorial. Travelling itself keeps going on on its own: caravan just keeps walking in a straight line the whole game without world map prompts. I never opened the world map during the game and ended up not caring about the world that much since I was not properly introduced to the lore.

I agree that there should be additional info on the world map. But it shouldn't be the only place to learn about the world. Overall Banner Saga is not a good example to follow in that aspect.

@Plutone00 Yeah I agree, except I wanted to learn about the lore so being required to wasn't a concern for me. I'm only advocating the world map for Eternity not the other mechanics of Banner Saga, and certainly not as a replacement for other lore features that could be in Eternity. I think of the Banner Saga type map more as an interesting addition not as a replacement for other types of lore.

Edited by Tuckey

I think it'd be a good idea to have something like that. I often find it difficult to associate a codex area description with a visual location on a map. That goes doubly so when the names are difficult to read and have multiple variations.

• Like 1

The World Map has one use of being able to fast travel from one location to another when you click on that location. You could have a mouse over where you put your cursor on a location and a small box opens with the lore and history and then click on that location to travel to, but I would find the mouse over / pop up annoying after a while and would want to turn it off.

I think I read somewhere there will be no fast travel. (pity, but ok)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I think I read somewhere there will be no fast travel. (pity, but ok)

Apparently the world map will be nothing BUT fast travel (a la Baldur's Gate). But, you can't just "fast travel" from wherever you are immediately standing, to wherever you want to go. You have to get to the edge of your immediate area/zone, then travel between overall areas on the map, via "fast travel".)

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Left-click to travel; right-click to codex...

I was halfway through writing a post to that very effect before I had to leave the PC! But yes, still undecided as to whether it should only be "discovered" lore, or just general lore.

If not implemented in the travel system what about an annotated map in ones stronghold/house, perhaps even maintained by a well travelled cartographer? Click on the map and one may discern clues or rumours pertaining to the pertinent location, according to a skill or stat? I always liked the maps of Ultima Underworld personally.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Banner saga leaves the player to their imagination reading the lore to picture the world. It does this cuz it is a tacitcal combat game and shows little to no graphics of the game world. Pillars of eternity I believe we going to be exploring the world. It would kill the fun in exploration if we know everything about the game world through lore spoilers. 

It would kill the fun in exploration if we know everything about the game world through lore spoilers.

Which is precisely why the quantity range between "nothing" and "everything" was invented, and humans were bestowed with the cognitive ability to discern what portion of that "everything" to pick. :)

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

No need to drop everything and scramble to design a game just to shamelessly copy the old IE games...

Oh wait! 8)

Apparently, incorporating anything that isn't purely novel is now "shamelessly copying." Better ditch hitpoints, 2D environment graphics, mouse-input controls, GUIs... Actually, you know what? Better just scrap the world map, since we'd just be copying all the other games that have world maps. u_u

It would kill the fun in exploration if we know everything about the game world through lore spoilers. 

Perhaps the lore and background of the areas might be sparse before you arrive to avoid spoilers, but updated with more information after you arrive. When you arrive, the map is updated with interesting facts, information and lore. Similar to a streetwise check in pnp to find out about the town. It may help to clean up your journal entries and keep them concise. Journal entry might read, "Visited Dyrwood, interesting place with lore and History" and that Lore and History is on your wold map.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1