Middle age parent digging your kids cartoons? Here's a thread for you!

IndiraLightfoot

Hi!

Beyond all tact and reasonable maturity, I'm going to fess up that I really like, no, even love, some of the cartoons my middle school kids like. And some of these cartoons I even liked when they were much younger than that! So anyone else sharing my childish giggling over a few toon shows on kiddie channels?

And quite obligatory, here's my list of favourites over the last five years or so, in no particular order:

-Regular Show

-Adventure Time

-The Amazing World of Gum Ball

-Gravity Falls

-SpongeBob SquarePants

-and recently, Sanjay & Craig

If you have no idea what these are, then that means you are a normal adult and not a childish specimen like me! :)

I really think those Avatar series are brilliantly written, and several of these other series makes me laugh my head off.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Adventure Time is awesome.. and in many ways made for adults too I think. Have you seen Bravest Warriors? It's Pendleton's cartoons for 20somethings with hangovers. On Cartoon Networks youtube channel "Cartoon Hangovers"

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

I haven't watched cartoons in a while, but I did enjoy the hell out of Batman the Brave and the Bold.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I have only watched season 1 of The Legend of Korra. Although slightly weaker, especially the first half, it is still quite good! And there are a few recurring characters and of course lots of info on what happened to those who no longer are with them in Korra's era (I won't spoil anything for you with info on this), an era which is a Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored steampunky 1920-1930s, you could say. I reckon  70 years has gone by in the world setting.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I got into Avatar late and just haven't found the time to watch it. I'm only about halfway through season 1 but really enjoy it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I have only watched season 1 of The Legend of Korra. Although slightly weaker, especially the first half, it is still quite good!

Same thing happens with season 2.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

On my current rotation of shows I watch, Batman: Brave and the Bold, Thundaar the Barbarian and Dragons: Riders of Berk are all there.  I recently finished Monsters vs Aliens first set of episodes and need to go back to watching the Perils of Penelope Pitstop.

What can I say, I never really stopped watching kids cartoons...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'll lower the paper if a good Loony Tunes comes on the box, Bug's, Daffy or such. Kill da Wabbit!

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Pinky and the Brain.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I was a really big fan of the mickey mouse short in front of frozen, as well as the new mickey shorts that I believe are shown on disney xd (saw them at the disney store) . I like that they have more of an updated version of classic mickey

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'll lower the paper if a good Loony Tunes comes on the box, Bug's, Daffy or such. Kill da Wabbit!

Duck Season!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was a really big fan of the mickey mouse short in front of frozen, as well as the new mickey shorts that I believe are shown on disney xd (saw them at the disney store) . I like that they have more of an updated version of classic mickey

I think Disney has been on a major role lately.  Their relationship with Pixar has been tremendous, and they basically haven't missed on any of their new properties they've developed.  Plus they don't forget to pay service to the classics in their library.

I'm also pretty happy to see my daughter running around with a bow and arrow trying to be Merida.

Having been a part of a short animated film project (think Don Hertzfeld) as a part of my uni's film department, you gain an appreciation for all traditional animation regardless of target audience or country of origin...

...because making that s*** is *HARD*.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I tried to watch some of Avatar when it was on Netflix (don't know if it still is, haven't looked) during a period when I was trying out older animes. It looked ok but I didn't watch enough to get pulled in.

That said, I definitely do like and still enjoy some "children's" programming, along with great fondness for the things I personally grew up seeing (Warner Bros, Tom/Jerry, Scooby-Doo, Underdog, Flintstones etc). I tend to not be as interested in the stuff they make today, but I think that's mostly because I often don't "get" the references/humor or (what I see) as distractingly odd visual presentations.

I liked Tangled a fair bit but most Disney films (not including Pixar) since Beauty and the Beast haven't entranced me overmuch and were just "ok". As awesome as CGI animation can be, I still find it somewhat ... cold ... for lack of a better word. At least in many cases.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Princess and the Frog is still my favorite of the new stuff, and I think that has a lot to do with it not being CGI.  I'd put Brave pretty close to anything Pixar has done though.  I haven't seen this latest one, Frozen, but my wife and daughter enjoyed it.

I've enjoyed watching a few of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episodes with my son.  They aren't quite the cheesiness of the late 80's movies, but they've got some good stuff.

My lad recently watched the latest Fantastic Four film and was a little intrigued by the Silver Surfer, we watched a nice little animated film of it on Youtube tonight, which i'll see about picking up for him on DVD tomorrow. It was quite good really, somewhat majestic and the little one was enthralled.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I think onw thing that bugs me nowadays is a lot of animated series now are appealing to older fans, so they get good ratings, but don't translate to toy sales so they get cancelled. This happened with Young Justice, Green Lantern, Sym-Bionic Titan, the 2003 He-Man, etc. Young Justice was getting similar ratings to Adventure Time, But no one was buying the toys, so cancelled. This sucks because the generation raised in the 80s tends to be fans of animation, but there is very little that's either inclusive of an older audience, or flat out geared towards us.

I wish GI Joe Renegades had gone another season. The first was so damned good.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't watch tv very often, but when I zap around and Spongebob is running, I usually stick with it for a while.

Avatar was pretty good. I liked it till the end, especially after mid-season 2, when everything was going down the ****ter. Didn't know they made a new show in the same universe. Will check it out, I'll guess.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

No idea what kids watch nowadays, but I'm sure it sucks.

My kids tend to watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Doc McStuffins, Sophia the First, basically a bunch of stuff that doesn't even hold a candle to Ducktales, Tale Spin, Rescue Rangers, and the other disney stuff of the 80s and 90s.

Uncle Grandpa is awful.

I'm just happy DVD allows me to expose my kids to the stuff from my childhood. They love the aforementioned 90s disney stuff, GI Joe, Muppet Show, Teddy Ruxpin,etc.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg