What you having for dinner tonight?

Gorth

NY strip cooked over charcoal. Isn't that really the only way though?

Everything is best over charcoal. Gas is ok/works, but it's not BBQ.
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One of my girlfriends came to stay with me last night while on route to a wedding, we ended up going out and I bought the following designer  pizza while drunk...I think I over did it  a little :biggrin:

• Double Mozzarella
  • Extra Cheddar and Picorino cheese
  • Bacon
  • Parma Ham
  • Anchoives
  • Bannana
  • Mushrooms
  • Garlic

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Curry chicken with rice & beans and veggies.  One of the advantages of moving to Hartford is that there is a plethora of Jamaican food joints close by, and Jamaican food is awesome.

:biggrin:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

One of my girlfriends came to stay with me last night while on route to a wedding, we ended up going out and I bought the following designer  pizza while drunk...I think I over did it  a little :biggrin:

• Double Mozzarella
  • Extra Cheddar and Picorino cheese
  • Bacon
  • Parma Ham
  • Anchoives
  • Bannana
  • Mushrooms
  • Garlic

An excess of cheese on a pizza is a sin, and that's coming from a guy who LOVES cheese.  Otherwise, the bacon, ham, and bananas go well together, but the anchovies, mushrooms, and garlic sound really weird with the rest of the ingredients.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The only thing that sounds weird on that pizza is the banana. Well, and anchovies, but that's just because I hate those things - being salty however, doesn't seem like it would not go with the rest, if you do like them. The sweet of the banana's wouldn't work for me, tho. Ham could still work, as long as it's not a super-candied ham. Garlic, bacon and mushroom is an awesome pizza all by itself (also, a great omelet...).

I prefer pizza to have more than just mozzarella on it, but I don't like pizzas that have a super-thick layer of cheese. Especially if it's only mozzarella, because then it has the texture of eating melted rubber tires. I like mozzarella/cheddar/provolone combos (thin layer) or something like that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Banana is great on pizza. You guys are cray-cray.

With bacon and ham, yes.  I can't see it working with anchovies, mushrooms, and garlic.

Also, pizza pro-tip: If you're adding more than 3 toppings, you're almost always doing it wrong.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Tomato paste and strong sweet doesn't work for me. I don't even like basil that much (a little, but not a lot). :wacko:

I remember once, as a teen, making some spaghetti for this bf of mine. He took some bites and his lip started to curl. I was all "what?" His mom came home and she laughed...said she'd always made spaghetti for him with canned tomato soup as a base or something, and I was "oh.....gross." :biggrin:

Tomato paste and strong sweet doesn't work for me. I don't even like basil that much (a little, but not a lot). :wacko:

No one is forcing you to use a red sauce.  I've eaten many a pizza with either a white sauce or a pesto sauce.

With that said, I'm assuming Bruce's pizza had red sauce.  I would use red sauce with banana and bacon and ham myself, I would just go very light on the sauce as the acidity of the red sauce might clash with the sweetness of the banana a bit.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well, of course one doesn't have to use red sauce. Unless one doesn't like pesto/white sauces. Which I don't. I know, I'm picky. And probably weird. I'll like garlic bread/sticks, but not pesto sauce. Go figure.

Had some friends who didn't like more than a couple items on pizza ... they called everything else "junk" pizza, which I thought was terribly cute. :D

No one is forcing you to use a red sauce.  I've eaten many a pizza with either a white sauce or a pesto sauce.

With that said, I'm assuming Bruce's pizza had red sauce.  I would use red sauce with banana and bacon and ham myself, I would just go very light on the sauce as the acidity of the red sauce might clash with the sweetness of the banana a bit.

Yes I used the standard red Pizza base. You guys have raised some good points around what ingredients work but the issue is much more complex and varied than just your personal taste, we should realize we can always challenge our palates by experimenting with different types of ingredients on Pizza. You will be surprised what new taste sensations you'll experience :)

@ Keyrock

Just one example why your views on Pizza need to be reexamined, there is a standard Pizza in Italy called Quattro Formaggi, this has 4 different types of cheese and it really is delicious. The question with Pizza should always be "do the ingredients work together " and not " you can't have x number of ingredients "

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/italian/pizza/quattro-formaggi-four-cheese-pizza.html

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@ Keyrock

Just one example why your views on Pizza need to be reexamined, there is a standard Pizza in Italy called Quattro Formaggi, this has 4 different types of cheese and it really is delicious. The question with Pizza should always be "do the ingredients work together " and not " you can't have x number of ingredients "

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/italian/pizza/quattro-formaggi-four-cheese-pizza.html

By an excess of cheese I mean the physical amount of cheese on the pizza, not amount of different cheeses used (I don't count cheese as toppings either).  I make pizzas with multiple cheese varieties all the time, but I never go overboard with the total volume of cheese on the pizza.

Yes it is possible to make pizza with 4 or more toppings that is delicious, my point is that the combinations are few and far between.  There are tons of two topping combinations that work really well, a moderate amount of 3 topping combinations that work really well, and a very small amount of 4 or more topping combinations that work really well.  The point is that beyond a certain amount of toppings you are a lot more likely to ruin your pizza than make it better by continuing to add more toppings.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

@ Keyrock

By an excess of cheese I mean the physical amount of cheese on the pizza, not amount of different cheeses used (I don't count cheese as toppings either).  I make pizzas with multiple cheese varieties all the time, but I never go overboard with the total volume of cheese on the pizza.

Yes it is possible to make pizza with 4 or more toppings that is delicious, my point is that the combinations are few and far between.  There are tons of two topping combinations that work really well, a moderate amount of 3 topping combinations that work really well, and a very small amount of 4 or more topping combinations that work really well.  The point is that beyond a certain amount of toppings you are a lot more likely to ruin your pizza than make it better by contintouing to add more toppings.

I misunderstood your aversion to cheese and I agree that too many  ingredients can sometimes neutralize other ingredients or ruin the pizza so one needs to be thoughtful around what you use as toppings

John Milton 

My palate finds 1 or 2 topping pizza's really boring. I like at least 3 toppings. My limit for pizza would probably be about 6 toppings.

I also make "junk" spaghetti, lasagna, omelets, and so on. There are of course flavors I may not like together (teriyaki sauce and Caesar dressing would not go together, imo :p ), but having way more than a few flavors I do like all smashed together doesn't "ruin" anything, for me. If anything, it often enhances the experience. At least...for meat/vegie/salt type flavors.

Sugary sweets is the one where I don't like mushing flavors together. eg, I don't like the "3 flavors in one bowl with candy sprinkles and bananas and nuts and whip cream and cookie crumbs" type stuff. I don't even like fruit on my cheesecake.

• Like 1

:p

Fave omelet - mushroom, onion, bell pepper, linguica or sausage (no cheese...), extra garlic slices is always nice

Spaghetti - tomato paste/water/spices, 1/2 to 1 cup super-hot salsa, tons of garlic, lots of sliced mushrooms and sliced olives (none of that "can barely see any 'shrooms or olives" stuff), half/half hamburger and mild italian sausage.

Edit - I once forgot the sausage in my spaghetti and when our friend ate it, he was all "where's the sausage? Did you stop doing that?" :(

My lasagna is heart-attack on a plate, with zero ricotta cheese, but it sure is tasty.

For tonight:  Chopped salad with green and red cabbage, radishes, romaine, carrots, sauteed onions, bacon, and sharp cheddar.  Sadly, I'm out of tomatoes and too lazy to go down the street to the store.  Oh well.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

My Brazilian sister-from-another-mother made a delightful, uh, fortata ... freetata ... fretada--whatever the hell they are, with asparagii spears and kale, tons of cheese and eggs and delicious stuff. Woman is gourmet magic in the kitchen, so quick and skilled, it puts me in awe of some people's abilities.   

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Most likely, chicken soup with carrots and rice.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Spaghetti alla puttanesca with extra anchovies.

Everything tastes better with extra anchovies.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Spaghetti alla puttanesca with extra anchovies.

Everything tastes better with extra anchovies.

I concur about anchovies, its amazing how many people say " no  I don't eat anchovies, I don't like the taste". But when you mix anchovies into a certain recipes like Caesar salad you won't even notice the difference...anchovies just taste like salty goodness :)

John Milton