Rosbjerg

What's this I spy on Steam?  Final Fantasy VIII? raised_eyebrow.gif

Highly underrated game, one of the last great Final Fantasies, IMHO.  If Uncle GabeN shoots me a discount in the near future, I'll likely bite.

I remember loving it at release, but oh man do I not care for it now.

Steam Machine prototypes will be shipping Friday. The first batch of SteamOS images will also be made available Friday:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1930088300965516570

Valve advises that only "intrepid Linux hackers" should try the images, others should wait until sometime in 2014 (when presumably the kinks have been worked out). Good thing that I just happen to be an intrepid Linux hacker. :brows:

Also, US residents who were registered rejoice, because your chances of getting a prototype increased by having all registered international applicants deemed inelligible. I wonder how many people that cut from the pool.

If I recall the original number correctly, about half. I remember the number of eligible participants being in the mid to high 900,000s. Now it's in the high 400,000s.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

One of my students figured out my steam handle based on the games I talk about and where I live.  Pretty clever kid.   :p

That is clever.

What is the most interesting thing about this is it shows how much your kids must like and respect you if they are prepared to spend personal time researching you. Its credit to you and the positive influence you have on there lives and something to be proud of, so nice one :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

One of my students figured out my steam handle based on the games I talk about and where I live.  Pretty clever kid.   :p

That is clever.

What is the most interesting thing about this is it shows how much your kids must like and respect you if they are prepared to spend personal time researching you. Its credit to you and the positive influence you have on there lives and something to be proud of, so nice one :)

Either that or you have a stalker (though, likely not a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) on your hands.  :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That is clever.

I dunno, if I ever researched a teacher it was to try and find something I could use against them. :p

That is clever.

Either that or you have a stalker (though, likely not a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) on your hands.  :shifty:

That is clever.

I dunno, if I ever researched a teacher it was to try and find something I could use against them. :p

I suppose you boys could be right but knowing Hurlshot I have to assume the attention from his student will be positive :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Also, remember the age of the student. He isn't some evil teenager. At least I think Hurly teaches young 'uns...

Or maybe he is. Then Hurlshot is in trouble.

"What do you want to become when you grow up?"

"An explorer or nuclear disaster ruins and strange anomalies."

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Steam Machine prototypes will be shipping Friday. The first batch of SteamOS images will also be made available Friday:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1930088300965516570

Valve advises that only "intrepid Linux hackers" should try the images, others should wait until sometime in 2014 (when presumably the kinks have been worked out). Good thing that I just happen to be an intrepid Linux hacker. :brows:

Also, US residents who were registered rejoice, because your chances of getting a prototype increased by having all registered international applicants deemed inelligible. I wonder how many people that cut from the pool.

I want to say it's likely a fairly large chunk of people. I saw a large volume of people complaining about the last minute switch in comment sections and other forums. I feel like my "Steam Hardware Beta Candidate" badge is nothing but a filthy lie now. :(

I can't imagine what kind of regulatory hurdles there are to allow them to ship them outside the US that would delay the beta by a significant time. I figured they juat had to pay more for shipping.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I can't imagine what kind of regulatory hurdles there are to allow them to ship them outside the US that would delay the beta by a significant time. I figured they juat had to pay more for shipping.

I suspect it's because they are essentially running a lottery and you've got all the different laws in place around that that they'd have to work through.

• Like 1

I suspect it's because they are essentially running a lottery and you've got all the different laws in place around that that they'd have to work through.

That's likely at least part of it.  As strange as this may sound, it can be a lot more complicated to give something away than it is to sell it when it comes to shipping, especially across country borders and especially if it has to do with anything that could be perceived as some kind of lottery.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I know contests in Canada automatically exempt you if you're from Quebec. And I think there is a stipulation that requires a skill testing question too (which is hardly challenging and usually negates basic order of operations to boot!)

Wasn't AC4 on sale for like 50% off during Black Friday on Steam?

Nope. No discount on AC4 on steam during the sale. It was on for 50% off at Amazon about a week ago.

Yep, it was just on Amazon to Prime members.  I have it under my Christmas tree thanks to that sale right now.

Wasn't AC4 on sale for like 50% off during Black Friday on Steam?

Nope. No discount on AC4 on steam during the sale. It was on for 50% off at Amazon about a week ago.

Yep, it was just on Amazon to Prime members.  I have it under my Christmas tree thanks to that sale right now.

I looked at it here, but for some reason they only knocked about £5 off it at Amazon.co.uk.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Gave SteamOS a shot over the weekend.  It is indeed in very rough shape, definitely not fit for mainstream consumption at this point.  As Valve wrote, only try it if you're one of the 1337 Linux haxorz.  The stripped down and highly gimped installer was the thing that made me scratch my head the most.  There are plenty of installers out there for distros like Ubuntu and Linux Mint and even Fedora that are free, readily available, open source, thoroughly tested, and a billion times more robust than the current SteamOS installer.  Why not just fork one of those and modify it to their own needs?  I'm sure Valve have their reasons.  If I had to guess it's probably just wanting to make things on their own from the ground up, or closer to the ground and up, anyway, hence the choice of basing their distro on Debian rather than Ubuntu (which was originally based off Debian anyway).  It's admirable to want to build things from the ground up yourself, but sometimes it makes a lot more sense to fork something that's already out there, robust, and thoroughly tested.  Taking other people's code and working off that is completely accepted in the open source community.  Not only accepted, it's encouraged.

I have faith Valve will make SteamOS into a good distro, but it has a long way to go right now.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Steam really needs to up its game.

Amazon and GMG have figured out that people want new stuff at a much lower price. I got AC4 on 45% discount during the Black Friday Sale.

But the only way you're getting new stuff for a much lower price is by shopping on Black Friday and only buying products which are new as of Black Friday, and which are sale items. Explain how this is different from and better than Steam's summer and holiday sales.

Edited by AGX-17

any of you guys played DayZ in its heyday? the standalone version is up on Early Access.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.