PC Portrait ideas

Assuming that there is a space for an IWD1-IWD2ish amount of PC portraits in the game, I thought perhaps a brainstorm thread for what portraits (race, general appearance, 'class') people want to see would be cool.

We do not know if we will be able to select companion portraits as our own and there will be at least 12 portraits being generated from Kickstarter Backer photos (7 x 3K backers and 5 x 10K backers, not counting Paypal).

There may not actually be any spare portraits left after Companions + Backer portraits, but if there is then here is a place where we can generate ideas for the artists to look over if they wish.

Devs will probably go by 'what is left' - what races/gender combinations are not covered, but anyway.

To keep this thread sensible, please only post one or two suggestions, as this is something that is 'easy' to go crazy over I guess.

I'll start it off, here is mine:

Vailian Human Female, long straight black hair (let down). Finer, sharper features than the Godlike portrait. Wearing either some sort of fine cloth or leather armor (lighter armor style). Perhaps a 'sly' facial expression. Scar across one eye.

Edited by Sensuki

Long haired brunette, green eyes, petite (like a gymnast), olive skin, pretty.

Reminds you somewhat of Lidda from DnD.

Oh you mean actual character portraits and not personal fetishes?

Oh, you do whatever you want then.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Long silver-blond straight hair, splayed over her shoulders. A pale, long face, mouth with a slight frown, piercing eyes, long-ish nose. An ornate staff balanced against her shoulder. She looks disdainful, as if everyone she sees is inferior to her.

I call her ice queen.

Oh you mean actual character portraits and not personal fetishes?

Oh, you do whatever you want then.

My bad I should have pre-empted this and posted my male portrait idea instead.

I am actually interested in seeing what PE dwarves look like with the whole no affinity for beards thing.

Edited by Sensuki

Are we certain that portraits will be available for the player character?
Since there is customisation available for the pc that wasn't available for you in games like BG or IWD there will be a big difference between what you make and what the portraits will look like.

Because of this one can assume that the 3d model will be used for the player character's portrait, if not the companions.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Are we certain that portraits will be available for the player character?

Since there is customisation available for the pc that wasn't available for you in games like BG or IWD there will be a gig difference between what you make and what the portraits will look like.

Because of this one can assume that the 3d model will be used for the player character's portrait, if not the companions.

No, they have said that the portraits are for the PC as well. And i doubt there will be customisation for the PC, at least not much more than the IE games had.

And i doubt there will be customisation for the PC, at least not much more than the IE games had.

Huh, I thought we'd be able to choose hairstyles and appearance from looking at updates like #41: Dwarves and Doors and #56: Paladins and Wild Orlans.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Human male, with peach skin, blue eyes, and short brown hair with a 5 o'clock shadow. Features are somewhat sharp and facial expression is stern. Wearing metal armor(full plate or breastplate) without a helmet. Slight scar on right eyebrow.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

A hooded face hidden in shadows. It is easy to make out a grin, with the jaw moved slightly sideways. Expression that shows a mix of "I dare you" and "fun is on the way". Just a hint of the eyes visible in the shadows, but enough to see a glint - maybe reflecting a nearby candle. The cloak is dark, sturdy yet fine and not at all worn, something that is not likely to appear in a dark street but rather - in the shadows of the royal bedroom just before all the jewelry disappears, to be replaced by a thank you note.

Either male or female.

Edited by cdx
  • Like 1

I am actually interested in seeing what PE dwarves look like with the whole no affinity for beards thing.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a dwarf character somewhere in the world of P:E who was born genetically hairless? :)

His name could be Harry.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

A hooded face hidden in shadows. It is easy to make out a grin, with the jaw moved slightly sideways. Expression that shows a mix of "I dare you" and "fun is on the way". Just a hint of the eyes visible in the shadows, but enough to see a glint - maybe reflecting a nearby candle. The cloak is dark, sturdy yet fine and not at all worn, something that is not likely to appear in a dark street but rather - in the shadows of the royal bedroom just before all the jewelry disappears, to be replaced by a thank you note.

Either male or female.

I don't care how clichéd it sounds, that's cool!

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Long silver-blond straight hair, splayed over her shoulders. A pale, long face, mouth with a slight frown, piercing eyes, long-ish nose. An ornate staff balanced against her shoulder. She looks disdainful, as if everyone she sees is inferior to her.

I call her ice queen.

post-46205-0-38839300-1384639960_thumb.png

A picture is worth a thousand words.  You only gave me 45 to work with.

Edited by Pipyui
  • Like 4

Personally I hope that we see a lot of portraits of both genders with hair covering their ears, or hoods/helmets so that the portraits aren't purely limited along race lines.

While I prefer the BG approach to portraits for NPCs, I think for PC's the more vague IWD versions are better.

Neither is going to particularly dominate my experience of P:E.

• Like 1

I was hoping they would make the portraits and backgrounds tintable so the game could dynamically adjust the appearance according to the environment.

That would be awesome! It seems (from my noobish standpoint) that, if they can do that whole dynamic lighting thing to 2D environment art, a 2D portrait wouldn't be that much different. Then again, you'd be translating lighting onto a little character model into lighting on a completely separate portrait from a different angle...

But then, it doesn't have to be super-accurate 1:1 lighting or anything. Just simple effects. In a dark corridor with torches? Dark portraits with flickering orangey-yellow light on the faces, and that awesome eye-shine effect you get from dancing lights on eyes. Out in the moonlight? Moonlit portraits.

I think some manner of that would be pretty incredible. :)

Personally I hope that we see a lot of portraits of both genders with hair covering their ears, or hoods/helmets so that the portraits aren't purely limited along race lines.

Agreed. There were a number of portraits in the games of old that prompted "Ooooh! That's what I want my character to look like! Except... darnit... that guy's clearly a Dwarf instead of a Human." Then, there were some that you kinda suspected were supposed to be a specific race (or even class), but they still fit YOUR selected race/class without any fuss. Good times.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u