Kenya Mall Attack

BruceVC

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/21/world/africa/kenya-mall-gunbattle/index.html

So most of you are probably aware of the deplorable attack yesterday by the Islamic extremist group from Somalia, Al-Shabaab, into a large shopping mall in the capital of Kenya.

Details are still coming in but what we know is between 15-25 heavily armed men walked into this mall, Westland, and basically started killing people indiscriminately. They let some Muslim people go but didn't care if women or children were killed. There is now a standoff where these militants are still in the mall and have taken hostages....I don't see a happy ending as Al-Shabaab enjoy the thought of being martyrs and they will take as many innocent people with them in the inevitable violent end to this siege

Now why did they do this? Kenya lies on the border of Somalia and has committed troops and resources to a UN sponsored military campaign to wipe out Al-Shabaab in Somalia. This campaign has been mostly successful but  Al-Shabaab still has territory in southern Somalia which it is defending.

I can't express enough my disgust for these types of cowardly and despicable attacks on innocents from extremist groups that we still see in several countries globally :bat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's not yet clear that they ARE al-Shabaab. I know the fundis have taken 'credit', but...

You just reminded me of a thought I had just before going to sleep.

It's a funny sort of army that sends soldiers to kill kids, and kids to kill soldiers.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's not yet clear that they ARE al-Shabaab. I know the fundis have taken 'credit', but...

It's a funny sort of army that sends soldiers to kill kids, and kids to kill soldiers.

I would say its 95% chance its Al-Shabaab but you right its not confirmed yet.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Let us all be outraged together.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Now why did they do this?

... because they are members of a quasi-fascist, nihilistic death cult that celebrates the murder of innocents?

Edit: And I don't mean Islam. Please see previous Monte-grams for my ongoing respect for the world's great religions.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I would say its 95% chance its Al-Shabaab but you right its not confirmed yet.

Was confirmed yesterday via Twitter (!).

Though I guess there's some wiggle room as it's Twitter and they probably do not have their identification verification turned on for A-S and similar.

• Like 1

Better add this to Somalia's export list.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know these types of terrorist attacks continue to shock us with there callous indifference to loss of innocent  life but this one seems to reach new levels of low

Imagine taking your family on a Saturday to a mall for breakfast or some quick shopping and this happens. Al-Shabaab are barbarians and cannot be reasoned with, they need to be arrested or wiped out. That's the only thing they understand

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Apparently the majority (if not all) terrorists originate from western countries.

At present, I doubt it, but historically, almost definitely. Obviously depends on the definition of terror and AFAIK Red terrorists still exist (especially in southern Europe), even if their actions rarely cross the news threshold.

The age old dilemma, what's the difference between a ZOMG TERRORIST and a criminal, in the end. (I know, the objective of terrorism is to promote... terror, but yes).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If the information from the Al-Shabaab twitter account (before it was taken down) is to be believed:

There were three Americans who were Naturalized citizens born in Somalia  

Also among the names listed were citizens of Canada, UK, Finland, and Kenya.

2 Somali citizens were also listed

Edit:  That has not been unconfirmed but it wouldn't surprise me

radicalized Americans of Somali descent have been a problem for a while

Edited by kgambit

Apparently the majority (if not all) terrorists originate from western countries.

I don't think that's accurate at all. Groups like Al-Shabaab and Boko Haram ( the group doing all the killing in Nigeria) are based on the ideological teachings of Al-Qaeda and the origins of AQ are from the aftermath of the USSR invasion in Afghanistan.

Edit: Oh I see what you mean, my bad :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

So thia, and the Taliban suicide bombing a church in Pakistan killing 70+ people really makes it hard to see the whole religion of peace thing. Almost wish there was some way to mix fire and pork so we could bacon napalm them ensuring when they burn, they go to the right place.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So thia, and the Taliban suicide bombing a church in Pakistan killing 70+ people really makes it hard to see the whole religion of peace thing. Almost wish there was some way to mix fire and pork so we could bacon napalm them ensuring when they burn, they go to the right place.

Or just keep them alive and make them live with pigs, eat pork. I suppose violating their faith like that is torture but eh.

And remember, extremists, your average Muslim isn't militant, etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Actually if you recall, there was a Thai politician* who suggested that we - in his view very pacifistically - crop spray the Talibs with pork fat. No one would die, he said, and ultimately it would not be poisonous or harm the environment for very long.

Naturally there was a huge hoo hah, and it was declared inhumane . So we threw high explosives, and tiny whickering pieces of steel, at them instead.

~

What I can't understand is the lack of intellectual coherence by Western liberals on these bastards. *rant snipped*

*Tinawat Maruekapitak

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Dawkins has it right. You can't just blame history and politics, the seed for radicalism lies in religion itself. 

Seed for radicalism lies in idle young men with no prospects.

If they didn't breed like rabbits in an area with no arable land or resources...

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Seed for radicalism lies in idle young men with no prospects.

If they didn't breed like rabbits in an area with no arable land or resources...

r-selection: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory

Edit: And here's one of the cultural applications: http://cfpm.org/jom-emit/1997/vol1/fog_a.html

Case in point, lack of arable land, resources and security feeds the phenomenon when a large number of children is the less risky way of making sure your young continue to spread your genes.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I wonder whether Allah is up for equal opportunity? Do female terrorists get male virgins or they become part of the 70 virgins?

I've never actually thought about that before, good point. How do these extremists position the afterlife when they convince females to be martyrs?

John Milton