What are you reading?

syn2083

^ On a similar note, "Mister Nice," the autibiography of uber-smuggler Howard Marks is more fun than you can shake a stick at.

That reminds me. Did I say I was reading It Never Snows in September?

No. Are you enjoying it?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Finished Revelation Space over the weekend. I haven't enjoyed a book like that since Ender's Game.

Decided that it's about time I read all of the Wheel of Time. I stopped at book four before, but am restarting with Eye of the World. I like the writing style. And Chapter 1 made me realize it's been a while since I read a book that wasn't jumping scenes every couple of pages.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finished Revelation Space over the weekend. I haven't enjoyed a book like that since Ender's Game.

Decided that it's about time I read all of the Wheel of Time. I stopped at book four before, but am restarting with Eye of the World. I like the writing style. And Chapter 1 made me realize it's been a while since I read a book that wasn't jumping scenes every couple of pages.

Still my favorite fantasy series to this day. Be prepared for looooong books though and numerous characters, but it's worth it.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Tower Lord, the second book in the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan, just appeared on my tablet and I'm fighting the urge to call in sick tomorrow and stay up all night reading it

I am also reading it.  I had to fight the urge to reread the first book for a couple chapters there, events were a bit fuzzy.  But now I think I've caught myself up on the events.  

Tower Lord, the second book in the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan, just appeared on my tablet and I'm fighting the urge to call in sick tomorrow and stay up all night reading it

I am also reading it.  I had to fight the urge to reread the first book for a couple chapters there, events were a bit fuzzy.  But now I think I've caught myself up on the events.  

Hmmm, grabbing the first book.

• Like 1

If you are in the whole teenager fantasy phase

ruled by orphan sheepherder boys, from small towns, who discover innate powers and save the world, with little depth to anything apart the world description that works great for those looking to escape

and have been reading those books for Rand chapters, prepare to be disappointed, as I recall books 5-9 are mostly filler of skirt adjustments and braid tugs. Although it might be a great escape for those who like rich world and has rich imagination. (it surely helps that series is done, i had to wait few years for each disappointment, until Brandon came to save the day)

I can't ignore that recommendation. I am sure i seen this title before, it might have been on my time filler audiobooks list for commuting alone, regardless now i have to check it out and see if other reviews agree. Edited by Mor

I've heard that there's a few filler books in there where the story doesn't progress. And even Eye of the World will overdo it in the description. But this was the big fantasy franchise my college friends were into back in the day (before a girl sidetracked me into reading Harry Potter and Stephen King started writing Dark Tower again). And then when the news of Sanderson taking over, that got me into checking him out, which got me to listening to Writing Excuses, which is why I started writing again.

Altogether, this feels like something I should have finished a long time ago.

• Like 2

Now reading Seasons in Hell: With Billy Martin, Whitey Herzog and "The Worst Baseball Team in History"-the 1973-1975 Texas Rangers. Very well written!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've heard that there's a few filler books in there where the story doesn't progress. And even Eye of the World will overdo it in the description. But this was the big fantasy franchise my college friends were into back in the day (before a girl sidetracked me into reading Harry Potter and Stephen King started writing Dark Tower again). And then when the news of Sanderson taking over, that got me into checking him out, which got me to listening to Writing Excuses, which is why I started writing again.

Altogether, this feels like something I should have finished a long time ago.

I don't even write but I still like to listen to writing excuses and Sanderson's classes on youtube I find them both fascinating. As for the WoT books, while to some they may be too long long I find that each one of them has a payoff in the end, and to me it's made them great. The "filler" books, as some call them, are mostly considered that because they are a point in the series at which the rest of the characters catch up. The biggest mistake people seem to make is in thinking that Rand is the main character of the books, which simply isn't the case and that is why so many dislike the tail end of the series.

Also I finished Blood Song, excellent book, on to Tower Lord.

Edited by Sarex

I'm reading The Lord of the Rings at the moment. I tried to read the books for the first time a few years ago, and got to the end of Two Towers before I stopped reading due to personal issues at the time. Hopefully I'll finish it this time. :)

Jeez, don't you guys EVER get tired of fantasy?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tired no, but I prefer science fiction. It's just that science fiction hasn't had anyone like Pratchett since Adams died. Though it has its share of epics.

In the middle of reading some Gears of Wars novels by Karen Traviss.  Her writing is annoying as hell.  She inserts her pet characters into the universe and can't help but make them such central characters, as if every other character is in awe of them.  She also is terrible at having every character act and use "British" terms, even when they're established as clearly not speaking British in the games.

I should have known better after her Star Wars stuff, where her hatred for the Jedi showed up in her work, and her Mando love was excruciatingly nauseous.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In the middle of reading some Gears of Wars novels by Karen Traviss.  Her writing is annoying as hell.  She inserts her pet characters into the universe and can't help but make them such central characters, as if every other character is in awe of them.  She also is terrible at having every character act and use "British" terms, even when they're established as clearly not speaking British in the games.

I should have known better after her Star Wars stuff, where her hatred for the Jedi showed up in her work, and her Mando love was excruciatingly nauseous.

I've heard the rumors regarding her Star Wars work, but I wished to believe it was exaggerated. I may have to read one just to be sure.

Anthony Ryan really reminds me of David Gemmel.  His character development and action are just spot on.  Although he is definitely developing a more detailed world than Gemmel ever did.  Not to make that sound like a knock on Gemmel, I think his books were designed around a pulp fiction simplicity that was very charming and always easy to pick up.  

But yeah, Anthony Ryan is simply solid.  I'll put him next to Patrick Rothfuss as my new favorite fantasy writers.

Just slogging through Abbadon's Gate now, which is a shame.  Book is rather boring at 60% in so far - Holden is the same, the Roci's crew isn't around which is a mixed thing for me.  Is funny though, how the protagonists are always right when it comes to judgments in the end, it seems, well and being righteous through and through. 

Ah well, once I finish this, it's either Dispatches by Michael Herr or The Time of Contempt

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tired no, but I prefer science fiction. It's just that science fiction hasn't had anyone like Pratchett since Adams died. Though it has its share of epics.

Weirdly enough, the closest I felt to reading an Adams book in years was Yahtzee Croshaw's (of Zero Punctuation fame) Mogworld MMO parody.

Still can't find Ready Player One at the walk-in bookstore, even though their computer says it's right there, on the shelf, still. 

So I settled for this, which came out Tuesday. The tip of the new edition iceberg rolling out in hardcover, August for Player's Handbook, Monster Manual in September, and DM's Guide November. 

Comes with a big-ass game module, twice the size of the included rulebook. Also a character sheet template, plus half-a-dozen pre-made. And of course dice: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20 colored in pretty cote d'azur blue marble with white numbers. Printing quality, art, and readability are first-rate. Paper is glossy and staple-bound only.  

This is the first D&D box I've picked up since maybe Kara-Tur Forgotten Realms many days ago. I don't know, there's just something about this all-new Fifth Edition that feels right, and good.

9780786965595_p0_v1_s600_zpsbe68c4b2.jpg

All Stop. On Screen.

• 2 weeks later...