What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

After watching the bizarre foods thing last night I marched into the kitchen to make a Thai curry, using his guidance. Results awesome. I can smell it on the cookware. But I was so drunk I can't remember what the hell I put in.

I feel sure I used some unexpected stuff. Oregano maybe? Jam?

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Steak.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

. But I was so drunk I can't remember what the hell I put in.

:lol: Walsie you are incorrigible

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Forensic analysis of my spice rack indicates that I put in:

- black pepper (whole)

- garlic

- maldon sea salt

- nutmeg

- oregano

- ginger jam

- anchovy paste

- bird eye chillis

- dry coconut

- fennel seeds

- bay leaves

- lime leaves

Lamb and onions cooked with this lot.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why not just buy regular broth and toss a hunk of ginger in with it, to simmer for awhile? 

am a snob when it comes to stock. we makes chicken recipes so frequent that we almost always got enough leftover chicken parts for making quarts and gallons o' chicken stock... which is one o' the few things that freeze well. thanksgiving always results in us having a couple month supply o' turkey stock. duck stock is also a staple for us, but it is different 'nuff from chicken such that it ain't genuine interchangeable. what we is always short o' is beef stock. we rare have leftover meat and bones in enough quantities to be making quality stock, and it just seems wrong to buy meat and bones specific to make stock.

as for store bought... swanson's is having almost zero depth while also being very salty. am not knowing how or why anybody would bother using that swill. kitchen basics seems to be preferred by people other than Gromnir-- tastes almost same as swanson's but is less salty. better than bullion is flavorful, but is quite salty if you use in recommended proportions. 

*shug*

folks who would Never use canned green beans or frozen ribeyes seems willing to use pre-made stock. am s'posing it is a sacrifice people makes at the altar of convenience, but we just can't do bad stock.

HA! Good Fun!

It's interesting, I've never really thought about making my own stock.  We don't really eat enough meat, but I bet I could make some vegetable broth, it looks like you can use the scraps and peels to do it.  I'll have to check that out.  

I buy the reduced sodium brands, of course, but salt is a concern even in those.  I typically get what is on sale and have never really noticed a difference between Swansons or anything else.  I'll give the Kitchen Basics a try.   

Edited by Hurlshot

The only time I make stock is when I have a carcass sitting around spare. I take the point about not accepting bog standard other things. But in the UK we have some fairly decent low-salt, organic meat stocks which taste better than anything I'd be able to make myself. Plus they don't use up freezer space.

EDIT: Having had a nap I obeyed traditional Sunday afternoon tradition and went on a sweets and crisps binge. Chocolate bar, cheesy quavers, salami snack. Spam pasta later.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

My late Grandmother's meat loaf recipe (garlic, rosemary, mustard, black pepper and a beef stock-cube, 2 x egg yolks, bread-crumbs and some crème fraiche to keep it light), steamed green beans and my own special Dauphinoisse potatoes (cream, cheese and more garlic, roasted with a splash of chicken stock, it's almost tartiflette TBH) washed down with a bottle or three of a cheeky Chilean Merlot.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

My late Grandmother's meat loaf recipe (garlic, rosemary, mustard, black pepper and a beef stock-cube, 2 x egg yolks, bread-crumbs and some crème fraiche to keep it light), steamed green beans and my own special Dauphinoisse potatoes (cream, cheese and more garlic, roasted with a splash of chicken stock, it's almost tartiflette TBH) washed down with a bottle or three of a cheeky Chilean Merlot.

Yum, that all sounds very tasty :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Rather then deal with practical cooking tonight..  Went for an indian takeout.

So I've gone for my old standby of a Lamb Balti with Peshwari Naan..

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sounds quite rich. I'd try a Portuguese green wine with that. It's fantastic stuff.

-Elwood Blues

no meat in your grandma's meatloaf? we has, on occasion, mocked english culinary choices, but that is a new one for us.

our meatloaf is pretty straightforward with a combo o' 1.5lbs total o' 3 meats that frequent change, but usual include ground sirloin or chuck, turkey and pork. add grated onion ('cause grated makes more moist,) panko, an egg, 1/2C or more o' fine chopped italian parsely, whole milk, worcestershire,  salt & pepper to taste... mix by hand so is not over-combined. combine too vigorous and loaf gets gummy. top with a combo o' ketchup, yellow mustard and a wee bit o' brown sugar.

is a simple recipe, but works well... and it includes meat.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^ Ha.

Lean beef mince and pork. My grandmother, being Jewish, would spin in her grave that I'd modified it with pig.

For some reason, East London Jews (many of them Yiddish-speaking Poles) call meatloaf 'Chop-Meat'.

(Edit: Not that there are many East London Jews left, they all migrated to Essex and Herts).

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Sounds quite rich. I'd try a Portuguese green wine with that. It's fantastic stuff.

It is quite rich. It's comfort food. Green wine sounds evil and must be purged.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Just try it. Mind you I like almost all Portuguese wines. I've never been to the country, but if it's anything like the wine and the women I've known from there it must be God's own.

-Elwood Blues

I'm unleashing my inner barbarian by eating raw meat later tonight.

Interesting, if you don't mind me asking why raw meat and what type of raw meat

I've eaten Steak Tartare several times  and its delicious

John Milton 

Wikipedia is my friend.

We use beef.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh#Variations

Funny thing is that I have tasted all of these variations.

made [/size]of [/size]bulghur, minced onions and ground red meat, usually beef, lamb, goat or camel.[/size]

Kibbeh nayyeh is a raw [/size]lamb dish frequently served as part of a [/size]meze in Syria & Lebanon, garnished with mint leaves and olive oil, and served with green peppers, scallions and pita.[/size]

Edited by Labadal
  • Like 1

Pork chops, fresh kale, potatoes.

-Elwood Blues

Hey! some swine has nicked my pork chops, and left my kale!

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Serves you right for eating kale in the first place!

I didn't even know what kale was until I looked it up, it looks healthy :)

John Milton