What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

Up betimes and gnawing on my now World famous cake jerky.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Tonight I'm having Steak and Potato wedges with my famous homemade Cheese sauce, I have got the Cheese sauce recipe down to a fine art so it will be delicious :yes:

Would you dare to share the art, please. A delicious cheese sauce could have infinite uses.  :yes:

Absolutely and you a right a good cheese sauce can be very versatile and can enhance most meals. You will have to experiment a little to get the right consistency that suits you. I generally use a good mature Cheddar and I sometimes mix in a Swiss Cheese like Gruyere. You can use any Cheese that suitably melts but you obviously can't use Cheese like Halloumi as it won't melt. Make sure all the Cheese you will use is grated

The recipe is based on the standard white sauce recipe and once you have made  it a few times it will become easy :)

• Heat a small pot on medium heat
  • Use 1 Tablespoon of Butter and let Butter melt but don't burn it
  • Add 1 Tablespoon of flour to pot
  • Whisk the flour and butter for about 2-3 minutes. You want to allow the flour to be properly integrated into the butter
  • Start pouring in milk slowly and whisking. Don't pour all the milk in one go, pour and whisk.,,,pour and whisk You'll notice the sauce almost immediately starts thickening as the milk is added. This is fine. Just add the mild slowly until the sauce is not liquid but slightly thick
  • Then start adding the Cheese in batches and whisk
  • The sauce should thicken nicely
  • I add Mustard Powder, Paprika and White Pepper to flavour but you can add any spice that suits you

:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Tonight I'm having Steak and Potato wedges with my famous homemade Cheese sauce, I have got the Cheese sauce recipe down to a fine art so it will be delicious :yes:

Would you dare to share the art, please. A delicious cheese sauce could have infinite uses.  :yes:

Absolutely and you a right a good cheese sauce can be very versatile and can enhance most meals. You will have to experiment a little to get the right consistency that suits you. I generally use a good mature Cheddar and I sometimes mix in a Swiss Cheese like Gruyere. You can use any Cheese that suitably melts but you obviously can't use Cheese like Halloumi as it won't melt. Make sure all the Cheese you will use is grated

The recipe is based on the standard white sauce recipe and once you have made  it a few times it will become easy :)

• Whisk the flour and butter for about 2-3 minutes. You want to allow the flour to be properly integrated into the butter
  • Start pouring in milk slowly and whisking. Don't pour all the milk in one go, pour and whisk.,,,pour and whisk You'll notice the sauce almost immediately starts thickening as the milk is added. This is fine. Just add the mild slowly until the sauce is not liquid but slightly thick
  • I add Mustard Powder, Paprika and White Pepper to flavour but you can add any spice that suits you

what you got there is pretty much the classic welsh rarebit cheese mix... save that dark beer is used instead o' whiskey. add dollop o' dijon mustard and worcestershire.  we would also recommend cream or half & half 'stead of milk... if you got it. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Melted a knob of butter, and cooked up onions, garlic, and thyme. Thin sliced potato, salt, and a beef stock cube. Ample water.

Eaten with brown bread spread thinly with gentleman's relish.

Filling. Cheap.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

what you got there is pretty much the classic welsh rarebit cheese mix... save that dark beer is used instead o' whiskey. add dollop o' dijon mustard and worcestershire.  we would also recommend cream or half & half 'stead of milk... if you got it. 

HA! Good Fun!

I love Welsh Rarebit...absolutely delicious :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

HA! Good Fun!

Wait, I don't think whiskey is the same thing as whisking.  :no:  Although I do have a fantastic dark ale that was brewed with pecans, wheat and rye, with one quarter aged in bourbon barrels. I love the idea of using half & half, too, even though I already drink gallons of whole milk all the time. I love dairy, which is why I'm curious about a versatile cheese sauce, thank you for sharing.

All Stop. On Screen.

Just got back from taking my wife out to her favorite sushi place in town

It is 4 years to the day since our first date

We had about 5 different rolls, some toro sashimi, miso black cod, and a yellowtail jalapeno appetizer ...oh and a whole bottle of sake

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

HA! Good Fun!

Wait, I don't think whiskey is the same thing as whisking.  :no:  Although I do have a fantastic dark ale that was brewed with pecans, wheat and rye, with one quarter aged in bourbon barrels. I love the idea of using half & half, too, even though I already drink gallons of whole milk all the time. I love dairy, which is why I'm curious about a versatile cheese sauce, thank you for sharing.

Yes you are correct, I did mean whisking as in the movement with the hand and not the alcoholic beverage :)

John Milton 

Bolognese style ragout with pappardelle. Technically they're leftovers from last night.

...If I'm taking the time to do a proper ragout, damn straight I'm gonna make a lot of it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Tonight I'm having Smoked Kassler Chops with a nice green crunchy salad :)

John Milton 

Rare steak pho for lunch

My mouth is watering just thinking back on the good times we had

EDIT: If I may, what are some of the best meals you guys have ever had? It doesn't even have to be a complete meal just the best food or item on a menu in a restaurant or something

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I forgot to mention that I bought this infused broth the other day:

0005100020446_500X500.jpg

I cooked some peppers, carrots, and shrimp with it, and it was delicious.  Very easy way to throw a soup together.

Good tip :)

John Milton 

I cooked some peppers, carrots, and shrimp with it, and it was delicious.  Very easy way to throw a soup together.

Have you tried using it as a liquid base for rice?   That flavor seems ideal for that.

• Like 2

Have you tried using it as a liquid base for rice?   That flavor seems ideal for that.

Wow, good idea. And I was just asking ways to spice up my rice :)

John Milton 

Why not just buy regular broth and toss a hunk of ginger in with it, to simmer for awhile? 

I regularly do this with more standard ingredients.  Store-bought broth/stock isn't great (although some brands are better than others, and, in my experience, Swanson isn't one of the better ones), but you can make it better, if you've got 20 minutes, a few kitchen/pantry staples, and the willingness to wash an extra pot.  Just simmer it with a halved onion, a carrot or two (cut lengthwise in half, for surface area), a celery stalk, a clove or two of peeled and slightly-crushed garlic, any fresh herbs you've got handy (or even just the leftover stems), and any appropriate whole spices (peppercorns, allspice berries, etc.).  Let it bubble for a bit, then strain all that stuff out and use as you will.  The flavor improvement is dramatic. 

Were I tailoring some generic stock for Thai-style use, I'd simmer with fresh ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and maybe some coriander seed, red peppercorns, and/or cardamom pods if I had any.  And if I were planning on cooking shrimp in it, the shells I just pulled off those shrimp are getting blanched in this stock before I toss them in the trash. 

(Also, buy the low-sodium kind and add salt to taste if needed.  Salt is cheap, and this gives you more control of the dish.)

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 3

Don't know what they're called and don't even know all the ingredients.  :lol:

My mother makes them. The ingredients I do know are meat, onion, parsley. These are used in the filling. The outside consists of bulgur and some other stuff that I don't know the name of. These things are so freaking good. Makes my day when she makes them.

• Like 2

I do use the low sodium fat free broths most of the time, but I found this to a be pretty simple way to make a quick soup without needing to worry about things like fresh ginger and seasonings.  It's probably too high in salt though, I don't imagine doing it regularly.

• Like 1