What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

Put some steak in some marinade in a pan. Left it in the fridge overnight. Going to fry it tonight when I get home. It's going to be interesting. Not quite sure what to add to it, but I think I have a can of mushrooms and some frozen broccoli and cauliflower (and some cheesy sauce for the vegetables). I know, frozen stuff, but who cares? There's plenty of meat. Got a nice bottle of wine too.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Mac and cheese came out okay

Wife put too much flower in the cheese sauce and maybe a little too much truffle oil and definitely not enough cheese

This is why I do the majority of the cooking in our house

EDIT: Came off harsher than I intended it to. It was good but could have been better with a little more attention

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I had a nice lobster bisque for lunch

not quite what I want to make for dinner yet but thinking about a risotto

Shady you also  seem to be quite a talented cook or does your wife do the food?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I love food and I love to cook

I grew up in the kitchen and was always watching or helping my mom or just experimenting on my own

Let's just say I didn't marry my wife for her cooking...

Okay, I have same view on food as you. I also enjoy going to exciting farmers markets or funky supermarkets where I can look for ingredients. I find cooking therapeutic and there are very few things as rewarding as producing a meal where your family or friends can sit around a table and you see the enjoyment of them eating a meal you cooked :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My siblings all cook well. My mother was one of the best intentioned, and yet profoundly awful cooks ever.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My mother was a great cook until my sister turned her into health nut. If I never have raw sunflower seeds in a raw wheat bran "cookie" again, I won't cry.

We've gone to a few of the farmers markets around here, but since it's city-life, they're not very interesting. When we lived further south closer to Morgan Hill, it was easier to find/shop for awesome fresh stuff from local farms.

The only thing I was very good at baking is yeast breads, cakes/sweets and a few pasta dishes, none of which I do anymore. I'm adequate in other things, but nothing special. I could never make a beef stew come out right, which annoyed me. Not that my husband didn't like it/want it. I was just never happy with it. :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tonight for dinner I'm having Chicken stir fry with Couscous :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I read that as "chicken stir fry with Confucius" which gave me a pause...

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I discovered I had a load of bacon (8 rashers) which had been in the fridge for a week. I have just eaten them all.

Naturally that wouldn't be a balanced meal, so I put cheese on top and drank four cups of tea.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had to look up "rasher" to see what that meant in terms of amount. This website page had a nice, picture illustrated blog about it. http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/04/a-guide-to-bacon-styles-and-how-to-make-proper-british-rashers.html

Anyway, US version of Canadian bacon is more like ham, or almost honey ham at times, around here, which is good but doesn't make me think of bacon. But the more UK version of rasher sounds interesting.

And tonight, I gaze into a full fridge and am thinking ... I don't want any of that. Chinese food time again. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I had to look up "rasher" to see what that meant in terms of amount. This website page had a nice, picture illustrated blog about it. http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/04/a-guide-to-bacon-styles-and-how-to-make-proper-british-rashers.html

Anyway, US version of Canadian bacon is more like ham, or almost honey ham at times, around here, which is good but doesn't make me think of bacon. But the more UK version of rasher sounds interesting.

And tonight, I gaze into a full fridge and am thinking ... I don't want any of that. Chinese food time again. :p

:biggrin: That's one of those words I assumed was also used in America

How do you describe a slice of bacon?

John Milton 

Just like that, a slice of bacon

Okay, don't you think a rasher just sounds better ?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Tonight I cooked proper mac and cheese with a roux thickened cream sauce and some thick cut bacon folded in.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Tonight I cooked proper mac and cheese with a roux thickened cream sauce and some thick cut bacon folded in.

How do you do your cream sauce?

Tonight we had enchiladas. I did the roast beef yesterday, in my dutch oven with onions and jalepenos from the garden, and montreal steak seasoning... I love that stuff. Then today I shredded the beef and did everything else. Topped it all with sour cream. Ooooo, yum!

Just like that, a slice of bacon

Okay, don't you think a rasher just sounds better ?

The word is cooler. ;) (edit - we also sometimes say a "strip" of bacon. Like, "I ate 4 strips of bacon." )

But it's more that they're really not the same thing at all (slice vs. rasher) so it doesn't really compare. Our slice of bacon is more like the "streaky bacon," according to that article anyway. Different cut and not exactly the same area of the pig even, I think.

I don't think rasher bacon is sold around here much where I live. Might find it in some restaurants, certain states or cities.

BaconCooked.JPG

• Like 2

I've been looking for some decent pork belly near my house but none of the nearby supermarkets carry it ...or pork chitterlings either to which my wife is extremely grateful

I love bacon (American style), thick cut bacon especially, and I'd really like to try British style bacon now

EDIT: I don't really care for Canadian bacon

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

EDIT: I don't really care for Canadian bacon

Malcador(and other Canadian members)...please don't angry. Shady didn't mean to say that, what he meant to say was he loves Canadian bacon but its in such high demand where he lives he just can't purchase it so he can't really comment on the superlative quality of it :ermm:

John Milton 

I don't like Canadian bacon either.  Tastes nothing like bacon.  Or Canadians, for that matter.  A little truth in advertising would be nice...

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Overstrained my back at work, so on t bright side I'm going to have no appetite tonight. Probably just have some lime and soda water, a few oatcakes.

-Elwood Blues

I don't like Canadian bacon either.  Tastes nothing like bacon.  Or Canadians, for that matter.  A little truth in advertising would be nice...

It's pretty much cured/tastes like ham, but with a less grainy texture. If you pan-fry it until it's crispy-brown, it starts to remind of US bacon just a tad, depending on name brand/flavor, but yeah...not bacon. All this talk of bacon makes me want a stacked BLT.

• Like 1