What you did today

Rosbjerg

Got an interview tomorrow for a paid internship as a 3D game artist. Wish me luck! Any interviewing tips?

No idea what an artist interview would be like. Try to remain calm and be honest in your approach to any problems they ask you to solve, works best.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got an interview tomorrow for a paid internship as a 3D game artist. Wish me luck! Any interviewing tips?

Prepare yourself for questions that may not be worked related for example

• What is your biggest weakness
  • What do you do when you are really stressed out
  • What would you say are your biggest assets when working in a team
  • What would you consider to be unacceptable work developments or conditions (I answered this recently I said " I'm a liberal and don't accept bigotry")
  • What's your view on working overtime?
  • Be honest about what hobbies you enjoy but try to show some variation

Good Luck :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• What would you consider to be unacceptable work developments or conditions (I answered this recently I said " I'm a liberal and don't accept bigotry")

Have to love BS questions like those. The overtime one though, that'd be a bit of a flag if I was asked that. For fun, ask them about turnover. When candidates ask our interviewers here, boy do they squirm and try to spin it. :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Prepare yourself for questions that may not be worked related for example

Good Luck :)

"If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be and why?"

Yeah that one threw me in an interview.

Good luck with your interview.

For me as a hiring manager, things I'd recommend to candidates are that generally speaking it pays you to understand the kind of job you're applying for; try to be specific in answers and not vague or worse alter the question to something you'd rather answer.

Also while it can be good to detail career goals if it comes up, try not to give the impression that you only want to do the job for 2 months before moving on to something better, a lot of times people who are hiring and training staff in how the company works are reluctant to invest in a new hire if they think they'll be doing the process again before the year is out.

Have to love BS questions like those. The overtime one though, that'd be a bit of a flag if I was asked that. For fun, ask them about turnover. When candidates ask our interviewers here, boy do they squirm and try to spin it. :p

I think here the job postings have to say if the job expects non-normal work hours so most people expect it. I think the question goes like "Is there anything that would limit your flexibility during peak periods when extra hours may be necessary" or something like that.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hm. my mind is just bouncing between non-focus and rapid-fire scattershot randomness today. Been trying to research a few things and after reading a page a half dozen times it still isn't settling into my head and I find I've got a bunch of elements from other places wandering around in my head and spinning out.

It's kind of   "Science .. Science...  Heretek meandering - ooh, sci-fi , Science, Black Crusade, Book thought, Where did I find that reference, Old Macdonald...."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't think those questions are BS, nowadays many large companies also want to understand the psychology of person they may hire. Its not enough that the person is suitably qualified but will they fit into the culture and work ethos of the company

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Some of them are classed as "behavioral" questions.

Experience, Organization Skills, Communication Skills, Behavioral Questions, Job Related Skills/knowledge are some of the broad categories interview questions may fall on (there are probably more I'm blanking on).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to describe the employee (yourself) in terms of a mechanical system. Inputs, outputs, standards, interfaces etc.

Would make it logically easier to test whether a person would fit into the team.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to describe the employee (yourself) in terms of a mechanical system. Inputs, outputs, standards, interfaces etc.

Would make it logically easier to test whether a person would fit into the team.

Don't know about over there, but here asking if you're a Female D-subminiature or Male D-subminiature is a big no-no.

• Like 2

I don't think those questions are BS, nowadays many large companies also want to understand the psychology of person they may hire. Its not enough that the person is suitably qualified but will they fit into the culture and work ethos of the company

It's the usual game of ask, get a BS response or a lie. Kind of like how we ask front line phone support why they want to work for us. Honestly it is because it's a job and money, but we want to hear they have a lust for the finance industry or some BS.

Personally, I'd ask the Voight Kampff questions from Blade Runner.

• Like 2

Don't know about over there, but here asking if you're a Female D-subminiature or Male D-subminiature is a big no-no.

:lol:

You funny

John Milton 

Got my head shaved. My friends hate when I do it and insult me for at least one week after. Why? Their bald scalps can't grow the awesomeness that is my amazingly sexy hair. They also give me these looks and shake their heads in disbelief. I tell them it'll grow out in a month and then they start to mutter stuff to themselves. I can't help it if I'm a sexy hair God!

• Like 1

I usually don't bother to style it or play around with it anyway. friends call bull****, but I have mine left and they don't because of all the hair products they used. I just love to have it shaved. I usually never let my hair get that long, but I tried to leave it be for a few months this time. In the end, it was just annoying. Told the kids at work that my hair got stuck in the lawnmower. You should have seen their shocked faces. It took them like a full minute to come to their senses. They realized I was messing with them when I couldn't keep from laughing.

Time to watch Arsenal - Fenerbahçe, woooooo.

Edited by Malcador

I just found out that somebody poisoned or tried to poison my water. The lock was missing on the cover of my water cistern, I did not remove it, nobody else has keys and I'm the only one allowed to remove it. The person must have used a heavy bolt cutter to remove it and he or she was probably doing it at night because the cistern is right next to a road frequently used by neighbors. Somebody would have seen something at day.

Who is removing a lock from a water cistern if he doesn't want to put something nasty in it? I checked the water and couldn't find anything in it, but I can think of a ton of nasty things that are not visible in water.

A$$holes everywhere, and people wonder why I'm such an antisocial person.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I just found out that somebody poisoned or tried to poison my water. The lock was missing on the cover of my water cistern, I did not remove it, nobody else has keys and I'm the only one allowed to remove it. The person must have used a heavy bolt cutter to remove it and he or she was probably doing it at night because the cistern is right next to a road frequently used by neighbors. Somebody would have seen something at day.

Who is removing a lock from a water cistern if he doesn't want to put something nasty in it? I checked the water and couldn't find anything in it, but I can think of a ton of nasty things that are not visible in water.

A$$holes everywhere, and people wonder why I'm such an antisocial person.

Okay that does sound serious but you don't know if it was poisoned unless you test the water properly. Maybe someone was just making a point that you shouldn't keep it locked?

John Milton 

What kind of point is that, exactly ?

Okay that does sound serious but you don't know if it was poisoned unless you test the water properly. Maybe someone was just making a point that you shouldn't keep it locked?

You know, I hadn't thought of that, wells are kind of scarce up here and especially the stock farmers value water sources highly. But that does not give anybody the right to mess with my property, I maintain the cistern, I paid for it, its my property.

When I see someone messing with my water he better be a faster sprinter than me if he doesn't like wheelchairs.

Primary water source. Well, its not really a conventional cistern, its a small underground basin that collects water from an underground spring nearby, I own the spring. Of course the water goes through all kinds of filters (the quality is excellent.) but for somebody who knows a thing or two about chemicals not a big problem. I could think of 5 chemicals in my closet that could seriously f_ck up my water.

Edited by Woldan