The general firearms thread!

Woldan

Recoil (sorry but conservation of momentum mandates this one - you might not notice the recoil with a weapon fixed to a test bench but it's there)

You're correct. I guess I'm too tired to think straight.

If nearly 70% of energy is lost regular powder is almost as inefficient as gasoline. Wow.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Recoil (sorry but conservation of momentum mandates this one - you might not notice the recoil with a weapon fixed to a test bench but it's there)

You're correct. I guess I'm too tired to think straight.

If nearly 70% of energy is lost regular powder is almost as inefficient as gasoline. Wow.

Think of what the muzzle loaders had to deal with 50% loss of energy from incomplete powder combustion. 

Edited by kgambit

Yep, I shoot muzzleloaders and I totally know what you mean, one shot and the barrel looks like a dirty chimney. Thank gods modern powder is much cleaner, modern powder combustion rate is around 98-99.5%. But it also has to do a lot with pressure, if you raise the pressure even blackpowder burns a lot cleaner. This can be seen in blackpowder cartridges which create more pressure than BP muzzleloaders.

• Like 2

@Wals .... suddenly I am seeing Snap Crackle Pop Rice Krispies in an entirely new light ....  :)

I remember listening to a distant gun battle when I was a kid and thinking it sounded exactly like that, actually! :lol:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yep, I shoot muzzleloaders and I totally know what you mean, one shot and the barrel looks like a dirty chimney. Thank gods modern powder is much cleaner, modern powder combustion rate is around 98-99.5%. But it also has to do a lot with pressure, if you raise the pressure even blackpowder burns a lot cleaner. This can be seen in blackpowder cartridges which create more pressure than BP muzzleloaders.

Then again, it is common knowledge that the majority of the power behind muzzleloaders comes from the fact that the bullet is simply that scared of someone with the balls to stand infront of a firing squad and is simply running away from him.

I remember listening to a distant gun battle when I was a kid and thinking it sounded exactly like that, actually! :lol:

Gun battle?! O.O

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Gun battle?! O.O

Back in the days when Wals was a kid there where hundreds of rapier and muzzleloader pistol duels happening in the streets. To restore honor and that kind of stuff. Good old days.

• Like 4

@Wals .... suddenly I am seeing Snap Crackle Pop Rice Krispies in an entirely new light ....  :)

You must have lived in a really tough neighborhood. 

• Like 1

You must have lived in a really tough neighborhood. 

Not IN, near! :lol:

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...
Check this out, Remington is coming up with a new smart-scope for the masses, called the 2020.

With range finder, wind-reader and auto- elevation adjustment. 

remington-2020-scope.jpg

The first thing that popped into my mind is that they put a GPS tracker into that thing.

My opinion is that its huge, ugly and for those who are too lazy to learn proper shooting skills like learning the holdovers for your loads, reading wind and guessing ranges. It IS a scope for the masses, the dumb masses.
  • Like 2

technology beats skill?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Check this out, Remington is coming up with a new smart-scope for the masses, called the 2020.

With range finder, wind-reader and auto- elevation adjustment. 

The first thing that popped into my mind is that they put a GPS tracker into that thing.

My opinion is that its huge, ugly and for those who are too lazy to learn proper shooting skills like learning the holdovers for your loads, reading wind and guessing ranges. It IS a scope for the masses, the dumb masses.

I tried to convince the guy from H&K that I met that they should market  a rifle that was deliberately difficult to clean and fire. We could supply them to the ...oh hang on... I've told you this story, haven't I?

I hate getting old. :(

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

There is no energy loss, that data is from a fixed test barrel.

So its true, my breakfast has more energy than a couple of tank shells. Thats kind of disturbing.

Well, the body IS pretty energy demanding. Especially the BRAAAAAIN.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

You recall we had that discussion abou the actually energy inside a rifle cartridge?

I was walking along yesterday thinking that terrorist bombs would sound a lot less scary on the news if we said that they exploded with "the energy of 2 sandwiches".

• Like 7

-Elwood Blues

or a nuclear bomb exploding with the energy of about a cubic meter of lead.

Edit: actually nuclear bombs use much less energy.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

You recall we had that discussion abou the actually energy inside a rifle cartridge?

I was walking along yesterday thinking that terrorist bombs would sound a lot less scary on the news if we said that they exploded with "the energy of 2 sandwiches".

A great way to demoralize terrorists.  Funniest thing I've read in weeks.  :grin:

• Like 1

Shot this with my hunting rifle today, with commercial ammo! 7 shots at 100 meters. The hit at 6 o' clock was the cold bore shot. (Shot high because the rifle is sighted in for 150)

With this accuracy I could hit a fly shot after shot at 100.  :w00t:

nosler_zpse2ac4a7e.jpg

Edited by Woldan

Insert query as to whether or not this can be used with Desert Eagles, the greatest firearm ever made. DEAGLE CLIPS (cue /k/ rage.)

Technically speaking, in terms of efficiency, it's not even close to the energy contained within two sandwiches. Now if you had two antimatter sandwiches, and let them contact "matter," the energy release would be 100%, so even if the Earth survived it would be uninhabitable, not that any humans would be left to enjoy the planetary debris. After all, an H-bomb releases less than 1% of the energy potential of the hydrogen fusion reaction.

It's important to be afraid, after all.

Edited by AGX-17

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

Since it's Remembrance Sunday.

-Elwood Blues

And more importantly, the US Marine Corps!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps

• Like 3

-Elwood Blues

• 3 weeks later...

If you thought that normal precision rifle shooting was expensive and complex watch this: 

Not a hobby I'd like to do because it takes out the ''human factor'' in shooting and marksmanship but very impressive none the less. 

Edited by Woldan