The general firearms thread!

Woldan

On a serious note, that thing is awesome, I bet it works like the Street Sweeper revolving shotgun. Are there any none-SBS standalone versions planned? With shoulder stock and rear pistol grip? 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Doesn't look very comfortable and you'd have to keep moving your hands

I presume you misposted this from the Kate Moss thread.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You are correct, sir

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2014/01/14/crye-precision-six12-breaching-shotgun/?repeat=w3tc

Six12 will come in three configurations. The first is a the 12″ breaching configuration that mounts under an AR hanguard using picatinny rail. This version is an NFA item and will require a tax stamp for civillian purchase.

The second version is identical to the breaching configuration except for it’s 18″ barrel which makes it a easier to purchase as a non-NFA item. Mounted on AR, the 18″ Six12′s barrel extends barely an inch past the muzzle of a 16″ barrel. The last version is a standalone shotgun with a 22″ barrel, pistol grip and shoulder stock.

Free games updated 3/4/21

A funny story about the MG-3 from someone I spoke to who served as a Leopard 2 commander and Kompanie executive officer in the last days of the Cold War to the mid-90s: As many of them were simply Second World War vintage MG-42s re-chambered for NATO 7.62mm, it wasn't totally unheard of that one would find a Nazi eagle emblem still engraved on the internal parts whilst cleaning one.

A few years ago there was this ''huge scandal'' about the German parade corps still using K98's with swastikas and eagles on them. Good thing they removed them, what seemed like mere little imprints from a time long gone turned out to be malevolent magical runes that could actually resurrect zombie-Hitler when used in a special ritual. 

Anyway, here is a pic of a L2A1 because its so cool I'd trade whats left of my soul to own one. 

010-5.jpg

slrl23.JPG

Using that thirty round mag is a bad idea... IIRC the springs weren't really designed especially in the curved LMG models (designed for top loading re-bored Bren guns, used until the mid-80s as vehicle LMGs in the British army).

sonsofgygax.JPG

What the hell provoked the guy to start all that? :S

Probably a highly intellectual discussion about the time-space continuum and the paradoxons of time travel with the other guy in the car. Those discussions usual end like that. 

Don't get the concept of that rifle, if you miss, you miss twice. The rifle is much heavier. You get twice the recoil.  If you hit your target, you hit it twice - Sounds good? Nah, a single 5.56 should put the target down, whats the point of the second one? Kill it deader? Waste of good ammo.  Also the chances that both barrels hit roughly the same spot at 100 is near zero, regulating barrels is already a pain in the behind with super expensive double barrel rifles. 

Makes no sense to me. 

Yeah I know, double more gun, double more fun. But not this time. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

It's just a cool looking gimmick

I can't think of a use for it either but to make it even more unwieldy you can mount one of those revolving shotguns under it

Make that 4 revolving shotguns, one on each rail. And then call it the ''Hydra''. 

• Like 2

It's TWIN-LINKED, ffs!

You mean a sort of anti-drone AAMG?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Dual-barrelled rifles are a "thing" apparently - both Russians and Americans seem to have had a go at designing something like that, but the actual purpose eludes me, other than suggestions that spray and pray is good for enemy suppression - have a look at the AO-63. Drum magazine, over-under barrels and apparently was in a contest against the awesomely practical AN-94 back when the Russians held a design competition for a potential replacement for the AK-74.

I am very far from understanding the mechanics of weapons. What I am heartened about though, is that the Russians appear to have slightly recovered from the mad tyranny of the 5.45 cartridge (AN-94, AK-107 etc), and the AK-12 will feature a 7.62 option :)

Incidentally, a friend purchased a Mosin rifle (Dragoon version, but late 20s manufacture)... I tried it. Mother of God. I am a weak, capitalist softy. Felt like a pro-boxer punched me in the shoulder. I have fired an M16, and an AK74... but in terms of single bullet kickback ... Mother of God. That thing is monstrous.

Reminded me of:

AR15: Makes a tiny hole with no fragmentation or undue extra injury, in accordance with the Geneva Convention
AK47: Makes a big hole and sometimes flings severed body parts around, not in accordance with the Geneva Convention
Mosin-Nagant: One of the reasons the Geneva Convention was written

I found the Mosin Nagant and its 7.62x54r round very controllable because of its weight, had one for years, pretty nice gun. Though it doesn't let you get away with a bad stance like a 7.62x39 or a 5.56,  it will teach you how to shoot a rifle properly. Put it tightly into your shoulder, lean forward and don't chicken-wing it and you should only feel a little push. Leave empty space between the butt stock and your shoulder and lean backwards and it will hurt you. 

If you want to talk recoil shoot lightweight shotguns, they have more than twice the recoil and more than 20 shots from the bench (Slugs) is an unpleasant experience.

Recoil: 7.62x39 in an AK: 4,90 ft/lbs, recoil velocity 6 fps
Recoil 5.56 in an AR:  2,28 ft/lbs, recoil velocity 4,29 fps
Recoil 7.62x54 out of a Mosin:  13,31 ft/lbs, recoil velocity 9,26 fps
Recoil Standard 12 3/4 gauge 1 1/8 ounce: 31,79 ft/lbs, recoil velocity 17 fps

AR15: Makes a tiny hole with no fragmentation or undue extra injury, in accordance with the Geneva Convention
AK47: Makes a big hole and sometimes flings severed body parts around, not in accordance with the Geneva Convention

Ironically its exactly other way around, the 556 fragments like mad, the 7.62x39 makes relativity clean holes. Theres two reason for that, the 7.62 x 39 bullets have thick jackets thus making them much less prone to fragment and the muzzle velocity of the 7.62 x 39 is very low. The 5.56 is extremely fast and the bullet has a very thin jacket making it prone to yaw and fragment. However, the 7.62x39 is MUCH better penetrator than the 5.56 and thats why I still like it better.

I don't like the 556 but i would not underestimate it, thats what it does to a thigh. (Graphic)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/Runningeagle/4.jpg

Edited by Woldan

Cheers, Wolden.

I'll give firing the Mosin another go :) Allegedly it had something to do with how many grains were in the rounds I fired.

Not sure whether those were the rounds from "some Bulgarian army surplus", but my brother makes his own ammunition and for target shooting, he reduces the load.

So might have to "borrow" a box of the wimpier ammo for the next time I see my friend with the Mosin.

Ironically its exactly other way around, the 556 fragments like mad, the 7.62x39 makes relativity clean holes. Theres two reason for that, the 7.62 x 39 bullets have thick jackets thus making them much less prone to fragment and the muzzle velocity of the 7.62 x 39 is very low. The 5.56 is extremely fast and the bullet has a very thin jacket making it prone to yaw and fragment. However, the 7.62x39 is MUCH better penetrator than the 5.56 and thats why I still like it better.

True, but in the end what count is what role you are using it for i.e. target practice, combat, special units etc tend to have different focuses. Better penetration of the 7.62, only meaningful if you think that 5.56 don't pack enough punch. Proponents of 5.56 usually mention extra damage\accuracy\weight consideration, leaning on specialization to deal with other threats.(btw. many special units prefer smaller more wildy guns and smaller rounds, to minimize collateral damage)

_IF_ there is a serious point to the double barrel it could be CQB/FIBUA/FISH. After all this is about the only job left for infantry apart from country walks while getting shot at. there's been a fair amount of muttering that 5.56mm kills, but does not incapacitate quickly enough. Swivel-eyed, furry chaps leap out from behind sofas at you and you want them to die immediately. Not even 2 or 3 seconds from now.

I _suppose_ there might be beneficial (i.e. nasty) effects from having two 5.56 bullets go through you in close proximity. Although I'd have to wonder what would happen if you made the rifling spin them in opposing directions.

-Elwood Blues

It's TWIN-LINKED, ffs!

No, no, no - that's clearly a Storm weapon system; It's two barrells built into one rifle afterall! :p

I don't like the 556 but i would not underestimate it, thats what it does to a thigh. (Graphic)

Ouch! I'd have thought that was a bad ricochet or something and not a direct hit.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's TWIN-LINKED, ffs!

No, no, no - that's clearly a Storm weapon system; It's two barrells built into one rifle afterall! :p

Ouch! I'd have thought that was a bad ricochet or something and not a direct hit.

Yeah, if it had a flashlight, then it'd be twin-linked ;)

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif