The general firearms thread!

Woldan

Hehehe! Yeah, it does look a little silly, but it's an muzzlebrake from what I've been told. I thought it was some sort of blank-firing adapter the first time I saw it. :)

By all means, scoff at the silly muzzlebrake, it still fires that neat 2-round burst. ;)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Not really, if anything I'm more a fan of full rifle rounds, but the rifle is an impressive one! I really like the engineering effort that's gone into the recoiling barrel system, and having two bullets striking the same spot up to 100 meters certainly is impressive!

If I had to say an caliber at all it's 9.3x62. I was supposed to get my grandfathers Mauser rifle but my uncle decided to hand it in to the police for destruction instead. ****ing ****munching asshat. :banghead:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Oh man, what did the gun do to him that he let some idiots destroy it? Why didn't he at least sell it?

Reminds me of my government, when the STG77 (Steyr AUG) was introduced to our military the STG58's (FN-FAL's) slowly faded out of service and ended up in huge warehouses. Many of those were never issued, brand new pristine rifles made by Steyr Mannlicher with late 50's area craftsmanship and quality. A couple of years ago a few asshats of politicians decided to cut the budget of our military (again) so guarding those warehouses and maintaining the rifles was no longer feasible. 

So what did they do? Sell them? Upgrade them to DMR's like the US did with their M14's? Ship those rifles to the US to sell them to civilians? Nope, they cut them to pieces and dumped them into a river. Just like that. 

But hey, that was just a few million bucks of tax money. 

I'm also a big fan of the 9.3x62, especially in a long barreled Mauser with a beautiful walnut stock. If I was a big game hunter it would be my round of choice. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Oh man, what did the gun do to him that he let some idiots destroy it? Why didn't he at least sell it?

Reminds me of my government, when the STG77 (Steyr AUG) was introduced to our military the STG58's (FN-FAL's) slowly faded out of service and ended up in huge warehouses. Many of those were never issued, brand new pristine rifles made by Steyr Mannlicher with late 50's area craftsmanship and quality. A couple of years ago a few asshats of politicians decided to cut the budget of our military (again) so guarding those warehouses and maintaining the rifles was no longer feasible. 

So what did they do? Sell them? Upgrade them to DMR's like the US did with their M14's? Ship those rifles to the US to sell them to civilians? Nope, they cut them to pieces and dumped them into a river. Just like that. 

But hey, that was just a few million bucks of tax money. 

I'm also a big fan of the 9.3x62, especially in a long barreled Mauser with a beautiful walnut stock. If I was a big game hunter it would be my round of choice. 

He's just monumentally stupid, he does'nt understand the concept of sentimental worth nor does he understand anything about weapons. So a rifle is a rifle to him, and not worth anything - and noone, especially not his nephew wich spent most of his summers at the gunrange, could have any interest in it. He did'nt know either that the rifle was customized and worth thousands more than a regular mauser.. He did'nt even consider giving it to any of the hunters around here.

*Facepalm* Yeah, friggin governments usually are shortsighted as hell. They don't seem to want to recoup money they've spent or make any effort into it. Such a damn waste of materials, time and money. It especially sucks for the military that could've gotten money out of it to spend on something else, hell, they probably could've traded them back to Steyr, and then Steyr could've sold them to another market.

The 9.3*62 is a sweet round, well balanced all round case. Well, aslong as you don't want to shoot really long ranges atleast! :)

I found Glock 17 more comfortable to shoot than Beretta 92, Beretta is a bit heavy.

The Seventeen is the BMW Five Series of hand-guns IMO. I love them.

Not meaning to be contrary but I preferred the weight and feel of the Beretta 92 over the Glock 17

Though I will admit a mild case of Beretta bite the first time I ever shot one

Free games updated 3/4/21

A close second to the SLR (FN-FAL if you must) is the M-14 SOPMOD. Which goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks.

You can do a lot of cool things to the M1A/M14  :dancing:

MK14MOD2.JPG

• Like 1

Just in case you chaps were wondering about the 'other bit' of the rifle, I found out that the BBC has a permanent exhibit of a program about regimental traditions etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00jvbqm/In_the_Highest_Tradition_Episode_1/

It's from 1989, so it's both out of date, and a bit more interesting. Since there were more regiments back then, and the cheese-paring bastards at the Treasury hadn't managed to **** it all sideways. And yes, Gordon, I am looking directly at you.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just got my German Era-Tac 20 MOA one-piece picatinny scope mount. Now I have an adjustment range of 62 MOA, thats 157 centimeters at 100 meters which should allow me to adjust my scope for 1500 meters shots easily, which is perfect for my .300 Remington Ultra Magnum.

The scope is a 30mm CZ Meopta 4-16x44 R1 Tactical diamond mildot reticle with parallax adjustment and scope dust covers plus an anti-cant level.  

Meopta uses lenses from Zeiss Jena.   :w00t:

eratac_zpsb8041b7a.jpg

Edited by Woldan

Zeiss?  Which testicle did you sell to afford Zeiss glass?  :bow:

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Its not a Zeiss glass, yet it uses Zeiss lenses and guts. That the awesome thing about CZ Meopta, they're every bit as good as Zeiss at half their prices, for the Meopta R1 in the pic I only paid 800 bucks. (and thats the official sniper glass of the Czech republic. )
I wholeheartedly recommend Meopta scopes, beats the hell out of Leopold and in some aspects even Nightforce price AND quality-wise.

Check them out, their stuff is excellent: http://www.meopta.cz/

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

A am dissapoint.

I show a spiffy new AR and no one seems to notice.

I'm going to dissapoint you some more then, it's a good looking AR, but I honestly thought it was just a FAMAS copy or modded FAMAS with picatinny rails. :(

Meet the Lee-Enfield .303 Jungle Gun (i.e. British Army 'Rifle No. 5'). Take a punchy rifle, shorten the barrel and put a flash suppressor on the end and hey presto! A weapon guaranteed to sound like Odin taking a dump and with enough recoil to dislocate your shoulder.

I have fired one of these and wasn't expecting the kick. Didn't fire it again.

jungle_carbine_9.jpg

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Most of the core designs of rifles are from the 40s through the  60s. The rest is just computerised machining and new composite materials.

Same in a lot of engineering areas, I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Most of the core designs of rifles are from the 40s through the  60s. The rest is just computerised machining and new composite materials. 

Don't you believe it. The future is sub-component design and production. Much as in the combustion engine.

Nanotech is already offering a huge advances in projectile design, armour piercing, and who knows what kind of sorcery nano-'s going to achieve in propellants!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have fired one of these and wasn't expecting the kick. Didn't fire it again.

jungle_carbine_9.jpg

I love recoil. I can highly recommend shooting magnum shotgun slugs out of a 6 lbs single shot shotgun from the bench, thats 510 grains of lead at 530 m/s. Shooting it feels like getting grazed by a speeding monster truck.

I used to shoot my shotgun that way, until I got eye problems from the recoil. Now I don't shoot it that often anymore.

As far as feature goes, give me a Steyr ACR and I'm happy.

acr1page3.jpg

steyr-acr-advanced-combat-rifle.jpg