Defense of Marriage Act ruled Unconstitutional

NOK222

In other SCOTUS news, the VRA just got mauled.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

You know it occurs to me that I don't know a single gay person. I'm sure I've met one or two along the way. It only stands to reason. But I've never asked and they have never told. I'm sure there are gay bars in Memphis. I could not tell you where one is.

To me  gay folks are sort of like vampires. I see them on TV and movies all the time. Other folks I know claimed to have seen one once. You hear rumors about places they can be found but since I never see any I'm not 100% sure they really exist.

:lol:  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I live in an area that has a lot of them and is known for it, funny too, guy I was interviewing with said "Oh you live in that area, all the **** are moving there". Really awkward silence after that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm sure you've met more than a few, but most of the ones I know are very private and not at all flamboyant like you see in the movies. Also, the older generations tend to avoid all forms of public affection, as they grew up in times where that behavior could get you a lot of negative attention.  It's actually a bit odd, I have had three principals that were gay and only one of them actually ever discussed their partner in a social setting.  Now I live in a very tolerant area, but all three of them came from different areas of the country.  I talk about my wife all the time, so I really can't imagine that.  I think they just tend to avoid creating situations where someone might get offended.  

I see this changing within a couple generations, and I consider that a wonderful thing.  

That's not surprising GD as there is only an estimated 3.5% of LGBT in the US.

Taken from the same page:

However, a significantly higher percentage acknowledge having same-sex attraction without identifying as LGB. This makes it difficult to accurately record the demographics of LGBT people in the U.S.

You know it occurs to me that I don't know a single gay person. I'm sure I've met one or two along the way. It only stands to reason. But I've never asked and they have never told. I'm sure there are gay bars in Memphis. I could not tell you where one is.

To me  gay folks are sort of like vampires. I see them on TV and movies all the time. Other folks I know claimed to have seen one once. You hear rumors about places they can be found but since I never see any I'm not 100% sure they really exist.

Is it that you don't know any gay people, or that you don't know that they are gay?

(I literally just learned that some people I have known for a long time are gay).

However, a significantly higher percentage acknowledge having same-sex attraction without identifying as LGB. This makes it difficult to accurately record the demographics of LGBT people in the U.S.

I find it odd how many different categories they make up for homosexuality. You first link points to "heteroflexibility" which sounds like bisexuality to me but somehow isn't since they are "mostly straight". The second points to homosexuality, which is what I referenced in my post. I guess if your not in a sub sub sub group, you aint nothing. :lol:

Same for me when I was still at boarding school.

I nearly turned inside out when I went East of Suez and men were holding hands everywhere.

Of course now dozens of chaps I knew have come out of the closet. It's a lot more relaxed these days, and I say more power to them. It's very sad that they missed out on what I regard as the only up side to being a teenager - falling in love and making mit der roses and der knackwurst.

*blinks*

Well, that was unexpectedly Freudian.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I find it odd how many different categories they make up for homosexuality. You first link points to "heteroflexibility" which sounds like bisexuality to me but somehow isn't since they are "mostly straight". The second points to homosexuality, which is what I referenced in my post. I guess if your not in a sub sub sub group, you aint nothing. :lol:

Uh, you are the one that linked to the wikipedia page.  I simply took the next sentence in the paragraph, since your first quote was misleading.

Heteroflexibility is a new one on me. Is that when you're one or the other but never both at once?

I may have mentioned this before, but the sexual orientation which still annoys me is bisexuality. They always act all superior to both straight and gay. "Oooh look at me, I'm twice as sexy as you losers." What makes it worse is that I think they might be right. :)

Actually, while we're on the subject I saw an LGBT poster yesterday for (among other things) "gays" and "queers". It's all sounding a bit People's Front of Judea to me.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

All these labels for people are just confusing me now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was just pointing out that the number is misleading.

Can you find a link to a more reliable number? If none exist, what do you feel is closer to a true percentage?

I already explained in a previous post that it will likely take generations before you have people comfortably identifying themselves as LGBT.  I think the only safe bet is that number will rise. 

Hetreroflexible = 1 or 2 drinks away from trying anything

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thinking about it in light of this discussion it amuses me a little that people would know very reliably WHAT their orientation is.

-Elwood Blues

Thinking about it in light of this discussion it amuses me a little that people would know very reliably WHAT their orientation is.

Upright. What was so hard about that ?

• Like 3

I'm quite certain of my own. The thought of being intimate with another man does NOT appeal.

Not that there's anything wrong with it....  :lol:

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Is it that you don't know any gay people, or that you don't know that they are gay?

(I literally just learned that some people I have known for a long time are gay).

More likely the latter than the former. It only stands to reason. But you have to figure, I live alone in the sticks, most of the friends I do have are married which does not eliminate them but certainly reduced the likelihood. My only vices are fishing, hunting (not popular sports among gay folks), and going to Redbirds games with the aforementioned married friends. Heck I spend far more time with canines (my dog and coyotes) than people. So it is at least very unlikely that I do know any gay folks. Certainly not impossible though.

But I wouldn't care if any of my friends were gay or I made a gay friend as long as 1) They don't criticize my dog, 2) They are not Yankees fans. I won't put up with that! 

Thomas Sowell