Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

I know we can't expect to see highly detailed items, so differentiating between a schaviona and a rapier would be (supposedly) rather difficult in the game, but there's something that could alleviate this problem somewhat : item sketches, similar to the ones in the BG series :

Composite_Long_Bow_item_artwork_1_BG2.pn

• Like 3

I agree, I'd rather see the technology as an antithesis to magic (as was the case in Arcanum). Considering that the Arcane Veil is supposedly easily pierced by firearms, it seems that PE might utilize a similar approach.

That said, I wouldn't mind magical bullets - e.g. blessed bullets dealing more damage to the undead.

I would not go so far andsee it as anti thesis, like in Arcanum, (it never really made sense in arcanum..it was good idea tho, just wasnt executed right imo) as magic in thise world appear pretty much on equall footing with tech-science...it is easily observable, measured a science branch in its own right. Tech could be used to make it even more sophisticated, (soul forge comes to mind from previews) I find idea of techo-mage super fun.

That saying, enchanted guns make a lot of sense. Having gun that casts fireballs is basically a wand. But enchantment that keeps it from over heating too soon or breaking or making it more lighter or  just adding + THAT damage depending on enchantment. Yeah, makes sense imo, I dont see why it would not?

PS! As for further antithesis argument, the only antithesis beyond some silly never really defind reason for tech negating magic or vica-versa...it is needed for major world defining plot to make sense why magic is declining...blæeh!  IMO It could be more of a threat in its easy accessibility and wielding. To use analogy from real world, whn Pope Innocent banned use of crossbow in christian world. What horrible weapon is that anyone can pick up and kill a KNIGHT, even negating armor. Any peasant can pick it up and aim. A knight, medieval elite noble soldiers takes years and years of training. I think this can be translated to mages or any other magic 'wielding' individuals. While they can have power equalent to napalm bomb in their fingertips...beyond some gifted individuals, it takes years and years of discipline, practice and prob lifetime to master, if at all.

The biggest thing mages can fear in PoE imo is that they are being less feared or respected for their respected field of practice or simply competition just got fiercer. And depending on field of science, it can be replacing role of magicians worldwide pretty fast. I could be making many exemp but wont hi-jack this thread for it. Just why I think that magic doesnt have to be some form of antithesis, but can evolve to be rather complementary than extinct. Think of shadowrun cyberpunk world. PoE world could be easily evolving to that future, at least I hope so...not another Arcanum where it is either this or that.

magic021.jpg

poor cat

Nonsense.  Any cat with an owner willing to drop money on feline barding probably has a "kitty condo" in the living room the size of a credenza.  Poor cat?  Ha!  Lucky, pampered cat is likely closer to the mark.  ;)

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I'll take the opportunity of a new thread to reiterate my willingness to see the above "armor" example in PE.

Not as a functional armor that'd give functional plate protection, but as something a spellcasting succubus would wear.

"Oh come now, do you really want to hit me with that nasty sword, wouldn't you rather rip this armor off me and spank me with your wet mjölnir?"

Because I'd totally fall for it, even if I knew it's a succubus...

Don't forget the incubus: Thomas Aquinas once asserted that the same demon could take male or female form as needed to... 'appeal' to a given target.

Equal skin for all! :devil:

Seems exactly the kind of RPG I've been waiting for... forever.

Doubt they'll pull it off exactly as I'd like but backed anyway.

Thanks for the heads up!

... edit.

Oh there was a trailer as well, nice.

Although "Realistic single-player RPG set in the medieval Europe" was enough for me to frantically rush for my visa.

Edited by Jarmo
  • Like 2

Just posting to say that I am still loving this thread and to keep it up.  Regularly visit but rarely post I know, but you all got such good stuff on here!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Thanks to your kindly tip, I was able to back this promising game quite early on. Thank you, SophosTheWise! :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Does look interesting, thank you.  The funding seems to have shot up while I have been studying, was about £10,000 when I first looked now it's almost 30k!  Basic premise seems good but will examine it with my microscope to make sure they can actually achieve it.  And monocle, must use monocle.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Will also back Kingdom Come, but I'll have to wait a few hours before I can. I've already spotted some of you in the comment section. Well done guys and gals :)

Edit: I absolutely LOVE that they will have several layers of clothing and between 16-20 equipment slots. That was precisely what I suggested for PoE :)

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

In one of those threads (don't remember which, and don't really feel like going through 100+ pages) there was a link to battle scene from Italian-made movie about renaissance princes. It went something like this: man-at-arms on one side, begin with some kind of speech, then gallop at infantry hidden behind some fence, which is destroyed by the pikeman to reveal cannons. If anyone could help find it, I would be grateful.

In one of those threads (don't remember which, and don't really feel like going through 100+ pages) there was a link to battle scene from Italian-made movie about renaissance princes. It went something like this: man-at-arms on one side, begin with some kind of speech, then gallop at infantry hidden behind some fence, which is destroyed by the pikeman to reveal cannons. If anyone could help find it, I would be grateful.

I'm pretty sure it's this:

(took me a while though, I seem to have deleted it from my collection! O_o)

imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245276/

whole movie with eng subs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4AmDxGBeng

Edited by Merlkir
  • Like 1

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

I'd like to see some push daggers in PE. I carry one on my belt as every day carry knife and I love it. Its extremely concealable, quick, agile and more powerful than a knife due to the natural position in your hand. Its like boxing just with a dagger in your fist. 

The one I carry: 

coldsteelsafemaker_zpsf2f9bb3a.jpg

Knife_Cold_Steel_Safe_Maker_I_12BS.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Possible medieval version:

pushdagger3.jpg

pushdagger4.jpg

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.