RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Little fluff piece on Sid Meier/MPS

http://kotaku.com/the-father-of-civilization-584568276

Did laugh at this anecdote from Stealey

“I would call computer stores and ask to buy Hellcat Ace,” Stealey told me. “And when they didn't have it, I would yell and scream at them, ‘What kind of computer store are you?’ and hang up. I would do that three times in three weeks, each time pretending to be a different person. And the fourth week I'd call and say, ‘Hello, this is John Stealey. I'm a representative with MicroProse, with this game called Hellcat Ace.’ They'd say, ‘Hey, hey, hey, everyone's been calling about that, can you help us get that game?’”

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dark Sun was the setting where you rolled a character bank because your character would die every couple of minutes and you'd need to run in the next one.

Not really sure how that translates to a console game.  I think I'd rather have Planescape or Ravenloft (or Al Qadim, but that's highly unlikely).

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dark Sun was the setting where you rolled a character bank because your character would die every couple of minutes and you'd need to run in the next one.

Not really sure how that translates to a console game.  I think I'd rather have Planescape or Ravenloft (or Al Qadim, but that's highly unlikely).

Get out of my head Amentep. :p

I fully agree 100%.  While I don't hate Dark Sun, I was never a big fan of it.  At least it's different.  I love me some Al-Qadim, too bad it had such a limited run.  Mythical Arabia is such a fantastic setting, it's too bad it doesn't get utilized more.  I mean we got what, the Prince of Persia games, Quest For Glory II: Trial By Fire (such a fantastic game), Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse, and ...  ...  ...  ...

I definitely like Ravenloft, and, of course, Planescape is awesome.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'll blame your stray thoughts for using the term "console game" and not "glorious computer RPG" then. :yes:

I'm still missing a couple of the published Al Qadim books but its an interesting setting; like the flavor and how they twist the how things work in it.  Never played The Genie's Curse but I hear it wasn't much to write home about.

I'd love to see a new stab at a Ravenloft set game.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

* shrugs * Darksun was meant to be post-apocalyptic fantasy. Mad Max meets Dune mebbe. I like some of the ideas, it's different without some of the wacky Planescape schtick.

Then again, as these old 2E settings drift off into the fringes of the real-world version of the Google cache, hopefully new settings tailored for the computer will become as loved. The Dragon Age setting is quite good, tbh, for vanilla fantasy but hasn't hit the sweet spot. Let's hope PE does it.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'll blame your stray thoughts for using the term "console game" and not "glorious computer RPG" then. :yes:

I'm still missing a couple of the published Al Qadim books but its an interesting setting; like the flavor and how they twist the how things work in it.  Never played The Genie's Curse but I hear it wasn't much to write home about.

I'd love to see a new stab at a Ravenloft set game.

Heh, I'm half tempted to dust off my stacks of those boxed sets and supplements and take a picture of the pile.. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'd buy any of those in a heartbeat, Dragonlance I'd be all over... But at least Dark Sun is a part of their active product line, even if in a small way.

This prompted me to go to the Wizards site... and find this: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/45370000

Circle of Tears suggests BG tie-in? O_o

As well as the name?

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Jetpack-powered Dragons.

I've seen everything now.

I severely underestimated this game, I ignored it and just assumed it was a flying dragon game. :facepalm:

Downloading the beta right now, Morgoth ;)

It's just MP atm right? No SP content?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

It's just MP atm right? No SP content?

Yes and no. You can set up a LAN game (Yay! LAN support!!!!!) and only add AI opponents. That way you roam around the strategic map and attack and defend against AI opponents. And if they are easy AI opponents you can take your time and learn the game. The normal AI beat me into a pulp the first battle. But I am still a bit overwhelmed by the game and haven't figured everything out yet - especially strengths and weaknesses of units.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

OK, I've actually pre-ordered Rome TW2 (special offer on Steam) and am suitably impressed by this:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Teutoburg_Panoramic

But apparently, according to RPS, it will take up 35GB on your hard drive. Obviously, my supercomputer will easily swallow it up on my 'D' drive but I fear for lesser mortals.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

35 gigs ? Jeez, will be buying that in a box, for sure.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The key question is whether there will be any changes to the constant problems TW series has.

If not, its just a fancy graphical upgrade not worth bothering with.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The key question is whether there will be any changes to the constant problems TW series has.

If not, its just a fancy graphical upgrade not worth bothering with.

Well I'd settle for mod support.

Fortune favors the bald.

Rule #1: Never buy a Total War game on Day 1 and always wait for ~10 patches before starting to play.

Rule #2: See Rule #1

Sadly, that rule applies for a staggeringly large array of games.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

An interesting update on Age of Decadence

The focus is on the options, choices, and paths now. There is a truckload of them. If you thought that Teron had a lot of options, you're going to be overwhelmed with what we have in store for you now. More characters, more quests, more options, more scheming, more reactivity, more opportunities to **** things up. I rarely speak with excitement about my own work, but I'm very proud of how everything turned out and came together.

The Abyss evolved into a great area. It's very different from what you've seen so far. Most locations have fairly 'realistic' atmosphere - people squabbling, scheming, plotting, and murdering each other over nothing. Not a lot of fantasy there. Now, the game IS a fantasy RPG and in the Abyss you'll get the first taste of it.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3347.0.html

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

OK, I've actually pre-ordered Rome TW2 (special offer on Steam) and am suitably impressed by this:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Teutoburg_Panoramic

But apparently, according to RPS, it will take up 35GB on your hard drive. Obviously, my supercomputer will easily swallow it up on my 'D' drive but I fear for lesser mortals.

"all my drives are double Ds"

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif