RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

I find it a bit ridiculous to equate the behaviour of free players with that of Ork Boyz. Its kinda insulting actually. And the assumption that paying MMO gamers are well behaved, disciplined, mature people... yeah right...

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Another thing is what the guy described so far is pretty much GW2 Realm vs Realm and that didn't work there.
He may image RvR as a nice military movie where awesome war happens, but players will be sitting in a game with game rules. Huge zerg that can't follow any order more complex than "Attack this." (Arguably) Borderline exploitive equipment placement (GW2 had a spot where a trebuchet could hit a spot while being outside of the range of enemy trebs, thanks to elevation). Etc.

Though if they can pull if off, yay, I'd be happy to see that.

Agreed on the GW2 World vs World.

Just seems that he hasn't much of an idea of what online gaming is like.

Though I'll not be trying the game. Encouraging trolling/griefing by making teabagging etc microtransactions? I am not the target audience.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I was busy so reading the interview in chunks and just got to the free player orks..
Wow, that guy is an idiot. A moron, in fact.

Good thing paying players are all intelligent and well behaved. Also not prone to elitist a-hole behavior!

• Like 2

Am I the only one who ever wanted a horror shooter game where you play an imperial guard on a planet that is in a state of war with whatever enemy.

It'd be a horror game because you're best means of surviving is hiding from the monsters/demons.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

I'd like that, though I'm not sure if IG and sneaking really mix. I'm imagining something along the early Resident Evils's lines, Enemies can be beaten but you're vulnerable and they are vastly stronger.

I was busy so reading the interview in chunks and just got to the free player orks..

Wow, that guy is an idiot. A moron, in fact.

Good thing paying players are all intelligent and well behaved. Also not prone to elitist a-hole behavior!

Yup. I only read it in chunks as well. If you haven't finished it, it gets worse...

Quoted from the interview:

When you die on the battlefield, you don’t really die immediately. You’re hurt on the ground and cannot move until one of your friends comes and heals you. Though, like in a real battlefield, you have a chance to be executed by the enemy as well. We have that feature and we’re going to provide players with a lot of lore-friendly race-specific executions for free, but we’ll also have hundreds of different microtransaction-based executions.

Just imagine: you spent two hundred dollars on the game. You won four campaigns, and you’re one of the top Space Marine players in your chapter in a huge battle, and suddenly you fail to pay attention and you end up wounded on the ground, and then you see a puny free to play Ork that just started playing the game running towards you and he executes you in a very humiliating way (because Orks are like that), for instance by choking you by sitting with his butt in your face with the teabagging execution he purchased for $1.

He also records it, because we have an API to post things like these on Facebook and Youtube, humiliating you in front of everyone. So all the free players that see that video will want to buy all kinds of humiliating executions to troll the space marines as much as they can. With this we’ll even be able to monetize trolling.

Yep, read it all.

This guy seriously sounds like he has no idea what he's doing. He just imagined The Perfect Game in his mind and is throwing in all the Cool S*** he can come up with without rhyme or reason. And of course his whole team is right behind him 100% no disputes at all.

And orks aren't like that at all! >_<

The only thing that sounds promising right now is the medal and gear blinging.

• Like 1

His whole attitude is just... disappointing. Purposefully implementing the sort of abuse rampant in online experiences is sure to make everyone's experience better. 

What sort of satisfaction am I supposed to glean from teabagging a paying player? That's a high point in the universe he's creating?

And I was actually looking forward to this. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I find it a bit ridiculous to equate the behaviour of free players with that of Ork Boyz. Its kinda insulting actually. And the assumption that paying MMO gamers are well behaved, disciplined, mature people... yeah right...

What you said, the more people invest in the game the more likely they are going to behave like **** as soon as something is'nt going their way. Most free players I've met in Planetside 2 are pretty cool dudes and dudettes, and the people that without a doubt annoy me the most are people that has alot of expectations that comes with the investment.

World of Warcraft was without a doubt the worst place for this. The normal player, casual and maybe not so great a player, are usually damn nice people. The raiders and hardcore pvp-ers are ginormous elitists and wankers. Mostly. For full disclosure, this is speaking as someone that grinded Rank 12 at level 60, and did both arenas and serious raiding in the expansions.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Am I the only one who ever wanted a horror shooter game where you play an imperial guard on a planet that is in a state of war with whatever enemy.

It'd be a horror game because you're best means of surviving is hiding from the monsters/demons.

I could like a more stealthy game, where you are taking over the role of a soldier from Gaunt's ghosts. That could be super cool.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If any of them win we lose so I wouldn't rejoice just yet, if I was the pc gaming master race.

I had great faith in Sony to back a few "artistic" projects like they did with Ueda's SoC back in the day, which really gave credit to the notion that console gaming has more potential to deliver a unique experience than its usually given.

But that just didn't happen with the PS3. Even after so many years, truly great games on the PS3 are very few and the overall catalog diversity still is nowhere near the PS2.

No Ueda game either.

Still, I respect Sony more, because if you look at the XBox catalog for both XB consoles over the years, there is an overwhelming number of shooters relative to everything else. The north american audience has a much narrower taste on the whole and the developers are much less prone to experimentation than japanese ones, so my interests in the XBone were never high to begin with.

The next time someone asks what a gaming hipster is, I'm going to link them to this post. I got a bingo on my gaming hipster card halfway through the second paragraph, and it just gets better after that.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If any of them win we lose so I wouldn't rejoice just yet, if I was the pc gaming master race.

I had great faith in Sony to back a few "artistic" projects like they did with Ueda's SoC back in the day, which really gave credit to the notion that console gaming has more potential to deliver a unique experience than its usually given.

But that just didn't happen with the PS3. Even after so many years, truly great games on the PS3 are very few and the overall catalog diversity still is nowhere near the PS2.

No Ueda game either.

Still, I respect Sony more, because if you look at the XBox catalog for both XB consoles over the years, there is an overwhelming number of shooters relative to everything else. The north american audience has a much narrower taste on the whole and the developers are much less prone to experimentation than japanese ones, so my interests in the XBone were never high to begin with.

The next time someone asks what a gaming hipster is, I'm going to link them to this post. I got a bingo on my gaming hipster card halfway through the second paragraph, and it just gets better after that.

What's hipsterish about liking SoC and hoping for more from the same author?  The game is almost universally considered to be the best title to come out on the PS2, and that's in some stiff competition. 

Its not about playing "artsy" titles for bragging rights, its a genuine desire for an experience different from the usual lemonade most genres have turned into.

His whole attitude is just... disappointing.

But Drowsy aren't you use to being bitterly disappointed with the latest release of games? I would think this is just the norm for how you feel..in fact if you were happy with a game you may get a little depressed?

:biggrin:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No Ueda game either.

What's hipsterish about liking SoC and hoping for more from the same author? 

Now you're strawmanning, there's nothing hipsterish about that point. ;)

Then your very subtle trolling went straight over my head.  :p

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

It was so subtle even I didn't know I was doing it!

But you do know you're a troll, right? 

An ice troll from the Finnish wastes to be precise.

Nah, I don't post to sow discord and provoke arguments, I post (in part) so that you and the other gaming hipsters wouldn't start thinking that your opinions represent the objective truth or that anyone who doesn't share your views on gaming is an unwashed and uneducated teenager from the basement.

Of course, mostly I just post because I like Obsidian games. And this is their forum, not a gaming superiority complex club. :)

• Like 1

Nah, I don't post to sow discord and provoke arguments, I post (in part) so that you and the other gaming hipsters wouldn't start thinking that your opinions represent the objective truth or that anyone who doesn't share your views on gaming is an unwashed and uneducated teenager from the basement.

Of course, mostly I just post because I like Obsidian games. And this is their forum, not a gaming superiority complex club. :)

:biggrin: But they obviously didn't teach you in law school to respect your own disclaimers.

Actually everyone is pretty well behaved here, sure there's the occasional pissing contest, but its still a zen garden compared to gamespot forums, ign, codex, whatever.

"Objective truth", I like that. I'm going to start using those words if you don't mind?

Nep another reason we post is that we know we are right and Drowsy is wrong, isn't that a reason?

;)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Objective truth", I like that. I'm going to start using those words if you don't mind?

Nep another reason we post is that we know we are right and Drowsy is wrong, isn't that a reason?

;)

Well, there's that too. ;)

And I was meta-posting!

Edited by Nepenthe