Fear of women body in modern videogames

Isabela has some moments of epiphany with the rivalry romance.  That's not to say her friendship romance is a poor one, but I enjoyed her character coming to the realization that she can do more and be better than she has been.

I was under the impression that Isabela will come to the same revelation in the romance with the right dialogue choices regardless of whether its a friendship romance or a rivalry romance?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This thread sure does bring the crazy out.

Isn't that common with Oby threads?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I guess they got old, or married, or both.

Got bigger, got more corporate. Do miss the days of lots of publishers.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Isn't that the dictionary definition of "game journalist?" My mistake your description doesn't include corrupt.

• Like 6

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

1992?

1999, the heyday of the CRPG.

If they took a picture like that today Kotaku would make it a scandal, they would all be labeled misogynists

That's because Kotaku are a bunch of talentless hacks out for hits nobody should be paying any ****ing attention to: https://soundcloud.com/ben-kuchera/jaffe-confrontation

Context on the soundcloud sample please?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

How the heck is Isabella a "middle-ground"? That lady doesn't even wear pants! She's firmly on the scantily-clad side, and proud of it!

Isabela is created as a juxtaposition.  Her appearance is meant to illicit a stereotypical reaction.  The thing about Isabela, however, is that her presence in the game is much more about female empowerment than female fan service.  In fact, she's utilized in a variety of ways to throw the gamer off kilter somewhat.

If you listen to Isabela's conversations, she is very much about empowering not only herself, but the other females of the group.  She recognizes Merril's naivety, and takes her under her wing.  Her and Aveline don't get along at all, but in the end she's still about smacking sense into Aveline for some of the absurd preconceptions and reservations that she has - and does so in her decidedly crude and Isabela sort of way.  Yes Isabela fits a common trope, but her creation was done so in a way to challenge the stereotype, as opposed to simply being an attractive woman that exists solely to serve male love interests.  She initially rejects Hawke, and ultimately isn't actually interested in any sort of maturing, serious relationship unless you happen to be rivals with her, a position that many gamers are unwilling to take (especially since most assumed Rivalry = bad).

In my anecdotal experience, Isabela is typically a character that resonates quite strongly with female gamers actually.  First impressions were typically not very favourable, but I think that is why many ended up really enjoying her as a character.  At least in the discussions I have had.  /shrug

That said, I actually agree that BioWare can make much bigger steps in this direction and I hope they continue to do so.  I don't doubt that Isabela was used in marketing because of her appearance rather than her character, and stuff like that is much less interesting and I'd like to see us be more bold in the ways that we approach appearance and marketing, rather than falling on the safe and easy tropes.

So its true, you are purposefully making games for the gay/liberal/feminist/hipster crowd.

And here I thought it was a sort of subconscious thing that worms itself in through no fault of your own, how naive of me. 

By all means, empower away.

But you could also try writing some normal lines for your protagonists, something between the usual soft spoken ass kisser/child murderer. You know, so that the rest of us playing the game get to feel empowered too.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Just not the gaming hipster crowd! "I played Bioware games before they were popular!" :p

I liked Shattered Steel too.

I think you meant "Shattered Steel is absolutely the best game Bioware has ever produced! Too bad you've probably never heard of it!" ;)

• Like 4

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Speaking of these mech games and current Titanfall (and to lesser extent, Xenoblade sequel) hype, a Shattered Steel sequel more in the vein of Mass Effect wouldn't be a bad move for BioWare.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

This thread sure does bring the crazy out.

I really don't think you are that eccentric or crazy Hurlshot, is that how you see yourself?

:skeptical:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How the heck is Isabella a "middle-ground"? That lady doesn't even wear pants! She's firmly on the scantily-clad side, and proud of it!

Isabela is created as a juxtaposition.  Her appearance is meant to illicit a stereotypical reaction.  The thing about Isabela, however, is that her presence in the game is much more about female empowerment than female fan service.  In fact, she's utilized in a variety of ways to throw the gamer off kilter somewhat.

If you listen to Isabela's conversations, she is very much about empowering not only herself, but the other females of the group.  She recognizes Merril's naivety, and takes her under her wing.  Her and Aveline don't get along at all, but in the end she's still about smacking sense into Aveline for some of the absurd preconceptions and reservations that she has - and does so in her decidedly crude and Isabela sort of way.  Yes Isabela fits a common trope, but her creation was done so in a way to challenge the stereotype, as opposed to simply being an attractive woman that exists solely to serve male love interests.  She initially rejects Hawke, and ultimately isn't actually interested in any sort of maturing, serious relationship unless you happen to be rivals with her, a position that many gamers are unwilling to take (especially since most assumed Rivalry = bad).

In my anecdotal experience, Isabela is typically a character that resonates quite strongly with female gamers actually.  First impressions were typically not very favourable, but I think that is why many ended up really enjoying her as a character.  At least in the discussions I have had.  /shrug

That said, I actually agree that BioWare can make much bigger steps in this direction and I hope they continue to do so.  I don't doubt that Isabela was used in marketing because of her appearance rather than her character, and stuff like that is much less interesting and I'd like to see us be more bold in the ways that we approach appearance and marketing, rather than falling on the safe and easy tropes.

So its true, you are purposefully making games for the gay/liberal/feminist/hipster crowd.

I am sorry you have an issue with Bioware making games that are inclusive of all there fans. I can guarantee you that the majority of there fans are "normal" heterosexual males.

But we aren't living in the 1800's and also women can vote now? Not sure if you are aware of that ?

:p

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A good post Alan. You have explained the nuances and depth to Isabela's personality and that she isn't what many people at first perceive.

John Milton 

But if they have to vote when will they have time for cleaning? :(

:grin:

Funny

John Milton 

http://www.jackthompson.org/

The controversy is creeping into every home. What are your children playing? How much adult content is there in these games? Is it suitable? Is the rating any good? Does it prevent children from buying things they shouldn't be able to buy?

Where can you go for more information?

Jack Thompson is one of the most outspoken opponents of sexuality and violence in video games. Along with other notables such as Hillary Clinton, Jack Thompson has sent literally hundreds of letters, dozens of media appearances, and even several law suits, all attempting to restrict harmful video games from reaching the hands of youth.

He is most white knigth evar. I just wondering how many trusted followers of this saint men i find on this forum. Hallelujah brothers!

I don't know about liberals but the core gamer demographic is still overwhelmingly male

Edited by Chaz

And here I thought it was a sort of subconscious thing that worms itself in through no fault of your own, how naive of me. 

But you could also try writing some normal lines for your protagonists, something between the usual soft spoken ass kisser/child murderer. You know, so that the rest of us playing the game get to feel empowered too.

They have to be inclusive because..I guess those people can't step out of themselves or something. And it's great PR to do stuff like that - SJWs will flock to you.

But anyway, not like he'll listen to your opinion - you're just some hate-filled, fascist Slav :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know about liberals but the core gamer demographic is still overwhelmingly male

Having testicles is where all similarity ends, between a regular male and a BSN "male" forum goer.

Go on, check it out. We'll see how long it'll take you to come back screaming for the Spanish inquisition.

They have to be inclusive because..I guess those people can't step out of themselves or something. And it's great PR to do stuff like that - SJWs will flock to you.

But anyway, not like he'll listen to your opinion - you're just some hate-filled, fascist Slav :lol:

I'm just trolling him, he's beyond salvation anyway  :biggrin:

Malc some people actually believe in the principle of equality and they don't do it just because it makes them sound good to say so in public

But I am interested in your comment around the words "those people". In the context of this discussion who are " those people"

Having testicles is where all similarity ends, between a regular male and a BSN "male" forum goer.

Go on, check it out. We'll see how long it'll take you to come back screaming for the Spanish inquisition.

Don't you think your generalized opinion of the people who frequent BSN is a little  insulting and fatuous?

John Milton