Build Thread

Gorgon

Pulled the trigger on a Intel 5920k, Rampage V, Corsair 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, Corsair 760T and a Noctua NH-D15 (wanted to go for a CM Nepton 280l but they stopped manufacturing it and the stocked sold out by the time I ordered it :/).

So the build is going to look something like this for now:

CPU: Intel 5920k

MOBO: Rampage V Extreme

RAM: Corsair 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4

GPU: Asus 560Ti

SSD: Vertex 4 128GB

PSU: Seasonic 660X

Case: Corsair 760T

Monitor: Samsung T220

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

No idea to be honest, for the last decade I was on nvidia, but amd has made a strong showing. It's either going to be a 980 or the next thing that comes from amd.

I've always chopped and changed.

I used NVIDIA up until ATI brought out the Radeon 9600 Pro. I ended up swapping the 9600 Pro for an NVIDIA GeForce4 TI-4800SE though because it ran Call of Duty 1 better.

After that I moved to a Geforce 6800 Ultra then Radeon X1950 Pro, then NVIDIA 8800GT, then Radeon HD4890, then NVIDIA GeForce 560 TI and now AMD HD7970 :p

Not really familiar with the latest models though, so I'm not of much help other than that I think the latest AMD line has bad power/performance ratio and their upcoming models will improve it.

I was going to ask why my monitor is phasing red on the right side, since a search for the problem yielded nothing. Then I read the latest review on Newegg, sure enough, someone else has the "pink of death." Same length of ownership, too. 

deathpink_zps507b687d.png

It's a Viewsonic VX2370 IPS

rightsidered_zpsfbae2b80.jpg

All Stop. On Screen.

Components arrived! I assembled all that can be assembled (MB, CPU, RAM and Heatsink) and now I am finishing up stuff on this computer so tomorrow I can transfer the rest of the components (PSU, GPU, SSD and HDD) and boot the system up.

Does anyone want pictures?

Hell yeah.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

It's here now, and it's worse. The new one, I mean. Tried an Asus, it has a weird yellow halo around the sides and top of the screen, like improper backlighting or something. Can't tell if it is a defect or just poor quality. Probably both. If you want a good display, don't shop below a certain price threshold, I guess, even on sale. That threshold seems to be about <$200.

All Stop. On Screen.

Newegged the following:

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/480G 2.5"

AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB

ASUS A88X-PLUS FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDM

Fractal Design FD-CA-CORE-3500-BL-W Black Steel AT

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V S

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X - OEM

Will be paired with an AMD A-10 5800.

Won't be my rig, but building it for a relative with light gaming in mind. Going to see how well it works without a discrete GPU.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Should be perfectly fine if "light gaming" means older / non demanding games or lower resolution :)

Good decision to go with a pretty large SSD from the start. Makes every computer feel faster  :)

Edited by samm
  • Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Yep, I won't even build a PC without an SSD these days no matter how low-end. A little unfortunate thing though is that the V300 is the subject of a notorious bait and switch - Kingston changed the NAND chips on it to a slower model without telling anyone in the middle of the product's lifecycle. It still works fine, but the new V300 is a strictly inferior product to the V300 when it first launched. On the other hand, I'd take size over speed anyday if it came down to that.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yep, I won't even build a PC without an SSD these days no matter how low-end. A little unfortunate thing though is that the V300 is the subject of a notorious bait and switch - Kingston changed the NAND chips on it to a slower model without telling anyone in the middle of the product's lifecycle. It still works fine, but the new V300 is a strictly inferior product to the V300 when it first launched. On the other hand, I'd take size over speed anyday if it came down to that.

Didn't know that about the V300. I went with the Kingston V300 because of its aggressive pricing and generally solid reviews.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hi guys, I've been busy with work so these are little late. :)

njSoNrn.jpg?1

There are some old boxes included. :p

JiakqFF.jpg

Going to change the monitor next year.

3IFcJyg.jpg

uVc0Upu.jpg

zssw7AF.jpg

Here is the computer.

bEeZDVl.jpg

And for the last picture we honor our fallen comrade. He may rise again at a later date.

• Like 1

The Corsair ones are really quiet too, even on high RPM. Though I seem to have made a mistake with the NH-D15 as it covers the first PCI-E slot, which I already knew, but what I didn't know was that I can get x16 only on it and not on any of the others, which is really dumb. I'm going to open a ticket with asus and see if this is something that will/can be addressed in the future versions of BIOS.

Though it's not really an issue as I don't think that a 560Ti can fill even an x8 lane. Whatever happens it isn't really a big deal, when I buy a new graphics card I will probably buy a new heatsink (something like a nepton 280l(even it, if it shows up on the market again)) and if asus fixes this issue then all the better for me as I will just keep the noctua.

Edited by Sarex

That's not a problem with the BIOS, literally every motherboard that has PCI-E that I have ever seen only has 16x available in the top slot.

Can't you just turn the cooler to the side ? Instead of || have it == ? I had to do that with one of my coolers.

Edited by Sensuki

That's not a problem with the BIOS, literally every motherboard that has PCI-E that I have ever seen only has 16x available in the top slot.

Can't you just turn the cooler to the side ? Instead of || have it == ? I had to do that with one of my coolers.

If you zoom in the second to last picture you will see "PCIE_16/8_3" marking for the slot the card is currently in. So in essence it should still support x16.

As for turning it I could rotate it to pull from the bottom though the top of the case, though that would screw the airflow in the case big time.

If you zoom in the second to last picture you will see "PCIE_16/8_3" marking for the slot the card is currently in. So in essence it should still support x16.

Have you tried the very bottom PCIE 3.0 slot? According to the newegg page, the board properly supports 40 lane CPUs, so while the middle slot seems to be designed purely for x8, I don't think the bottom is.

(edit) Looking at the manual, it seems like the third slot is the correct one for dual x16 usage with the first. I am guessing the fact that you have a 28 lane CPU is the problem - even though the port actually supports x16, your 28 lane CPU seems to not be configured to do so. I'm not sure if Asus could correct that in a BIOS update, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 3 weeks later...

Tempted to build a rig around a 5930, going to splurge a bit

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

Complete PC refresh, ouch my wallet.

Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: Corsair HX850i
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110 280mm
MoBo: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
RAM: 16GB Skill Ripjaws 4 F4 2666Mhz
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB DirectCU II OC STRIX
SSD:

• Crucial MX100 512GB
  • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 4TB Black

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70
Gamepad: Xbox One Controller
Mouse: Logitech G502
Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Speed Medium
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 24" G-Sync 144Hz 1ms LED LCD TN
Soundcard: Asus Xonar U7 Compact 7.1
Speakers: Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Headphones: AKG K551
ODD: Samsung SE-506CB 6x Blu-Ray Writer Slim

Future upgrades:

• M.2 PCIe 4x SSD (>1000MB/s Read, damnit Samsung release your drives at retail already)
  • +GTX 970 Dual SLI
  • +16GB DDR4 for 32GB RAM
  • Windows 10
Edited by AwesomeOcelot
  • Like 1