Xbox 720 Reveal

If anybody on this forum catches me playing a CoD game, ever, they have my permission to beat me to death with a sock-full of loose change.

Can I use a sock with a doorknob in it instead?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

"The console is not online-only, but developers can choose to release online-only games using Microsoft's Azure cloud computing service, which lets the servers do some of the work. You'd have to be connected to the Internet to play those games."

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Being forced to get online at all is ridiculous.  X-Box is a skip; I don't have an online connection for any of my consoles and I'm not going to move to a new location just so I can play games.

I can't remember if PS4 was going to do account verifications either, but my memory was that it isn't.  If it is I won't buy it - got enough paperweights around the house.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If anybody on this forum catches me playing a CoD game, ever, they have my permission to beat me to death with a sock-full of loose change.

The first one is pretty epic though.. You have my permission to play it without being beaten.. much

Fortune favors the bald.

For the goal MS has set itself, it makes sense to incrementally force alway-online features. People are gonna adapt eventually.

I remember the huge outrage when Steam first launched almost a decade ago. Well, today everyone (minus some cranky backward loonies) love it and use it.

I'll agree the future is going there, but my area isn't ready to go yet.

And I've never used Steam - no point unless I can get a faster connection, which I can't without moving.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

At a minimum you have DSL, right Tep? Are you worried that the "phoning home" disk registration on the new consoles wont work properly at that speed or something else? Even Steam downloads may take you a bit longer but after that what about being "always online" makes you feel you will have problems?

For the goal MS has set itself, it makes sense to incrementally force alway-online features. People are gonna adapt eventually.

I remember the huge outrage when Steam first launched almost a decade ago. Well, today everyone (minus some cranky backward loonies) love it and use it.

I'll agree the future is going there, but my area isn't ready to go yet.

And I've never used Steam - no point unless I can get a faster connection, which I can't without moving.

If you are within an EU country then fibre optic ARUs (at least FTTC) ought to be layed out everywhere. The mandate was 30Gbit/s speed for everyone (?) till 2020.

Edited by Morgoth

Of course, as was expected:

Xbox 1 needs the new Kinect in order to work.

Kinect is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Poisoned disgusting tasting moldy bread with worms.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

EA Sports and Xbox One to have 'A very special relationship'

If it bombs, can we expect that relationship to go the same way as the Wii U's 'unprecedented relationship?'

Perhaps that will make it a precedent.

Well, the thing about Steam is that you don't need to be online except for the logging in part and even that can be evaded by re-running in offline mode in which you can stay until you need to download/update a game.

And people "love" Steam mainly because of the discounts and the fact that buying through it is as easy as pirating. It offers a lot of services too.

Then again, XBox One will not be always-online, at least not on its own. It will, however, require you to connect Kinect (as several people here mentioned) and I have no doubts that it will nag players when they try to cover it...

If it bombs, can we expect that relationship to go the same way as the Wii U's 'unprecedented relationship?'

Its only natural that the two most hated IT companies would have a special relationship. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/21/microsoft-s-gaming-on-the-cloud.aspx

Cloud computing that goes beyond storing your savegames in the cloud. If MS is smart and invests in this technology (which they in fact do), they probably won't need to launch another hardware after the Xbox One, as the One will just gain more power over Cloud.

People are not really against having to be online, what they're against is the enforcement of conditions that exist solely for the benefit of the publisher. 

Companies are trying to present being online as something that will bring you certain benefits and all that does is make it blatantly obvious that its an undesirable feature through and through.

As for Steam the best that can be said about is is that it works. Compared to the convenience and fairness of GoG though - its ****.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

But the real nail in the coffin for XBOne for me is that every "exclusive" is likely to end up on the PC anyway, so overall its better to invest in a PC and spare myself the misery of the new equivalent of RROD.

At a minimum you have DSL, right Tep? Are you worried that the "phoning home" disk registration on the new consoles wont work properly at that speed or something else? Even Steam downloads may take you a bit longer but after that what about being "always online" makes you feel you will have problems?

No I don't have DSL.

Suddenly, EA dropping the online pass makes sense. Why take care of such a feature when Microsoft will deal with it for you?

But the real nail in the coffin for XBOne for me is that every "exclusive" is likely to end up on the PC anyway, so overall its better to invest in a PC and spare myself the misery of the new equivalent of RROD.

Not if it's published by MS and the IP owned by MS.

Some exceptions have been made (Alan Wake, Fable 3, Mark of the Ninja), but most of the big IPs will stay Xbox exclusive.

Microsoft won't release its Microsoft Studios exclusives on the PC (unless they want to sell Win 8 or 9 with an exclusive) because they'd prefer if people game on a Xbox rather than PC. They may even pay 3rd parties not to release on PC but the 3rd party would probably want to negotiate for timed exclusives to Xbox One, so the PC port gets released 6-12 months later.

Because the hardware is going to be so similar for PC, Xbox One, and PS4 the only reason why most games wouldn't be on PC or the other console is that someone is being paid for them not to be, the PC could run every game on consoles, it supports gamepad, it could support Kinect or any console peripheral if the manufacturer wrote drivers.

I just hope PC ports are going to be much better, with less time spent on the graphics engine, and more time spent on gameplay elements like getting mouse support right or the FOV acceptable.