Osaka mayor: WW II sexslaves 'necessary'

JadedWolf

Whenever I think I've seen it all, something comes along to make my jaw drop.

'TOKYO — An outspoken nationalist mayor said the Japanese military’s forced prostitution of Asian women before and during World War II was necessary to “maintain discipline” in the ranks and provide rest for soldiers who risked their lives in battle.

The comments made Monday are already raising ire in neighboring countries that bore the brunt of Japan’s wartime aggression and that have long complained that Japan has failed to fully atone for wartime atrocities.

Toru Hashimoto, the young, brash mayor of Osaka who is also co-leader of an emerging conservative political party, also told reporters that there wasn’t clear evidence that the Japanese military coerced women to become what are euphemistically called “comfort women.”'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/osaka-mayor-says-wartime-sex-slaves-were-needed-to-maintain-discipline-in-japanese-military/2013/05/13/4151bac4-bc43-11e2-b537-ab47f0325f7c_story.html

This sort of news makes me do a double take. "Did that just happen? ..."

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

He's like Shinso Abe, but he doesn't bother with allusions and subtlety. This kind of thing obviously gets a lot of play because Japan is still held up against its WW2 self by its neighbours and they have gotten tired of being told how to feel about it.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I am outraged by this!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wonder how he feels about the US bombing Japan. Surely he recognizes that it was "necessary" to end the war with the least amount of US casualties.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What? Aren't prostitutes boosting soldier morale or what? They're trained killers after all.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

He also told US base commanders that American soliders ought to use more prostitutes. You know for morale. A real charmer.

Meanwhile, I never even went to the Wednesday evening "erotic show" at bar Crazy Kaiffari during my time in the military. (I've always thought that if I feel the urge to go to a strip joint or similar, I'd rather go to, say, Spearmint Rhino in Vegas than to the local joint across the street where the recruitment ad says that the ability to dance is not necessary...)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Field Marshal Montgomery got into terrible trouble with assorted vicars when he attempted to regularise brothels in North Africa...

*snipped for gibberish*

Bottom line for me is that until this guy gets significant votes in anything I'm not looking down my nose at the Japanese.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well there's a few ultranationalists in Japan doing the whole "people talk about forced prostitution by Japan is similar to the talk of wmd's in Iraq. There's a lot of propoganda, very little actual evidence."...

All fun and games...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Bottom line for me is that until this guy gets significant votes in anything [...]

Mayors in Japan are chosen by popular vote. He's the mayor of Japan's second largest city, with 2,7 million inhabitants. I wouldn't call that insignificant.

Having said that, I don't think anyone says we should look down our noses at the Japanese. It's just shocking to hear a man in such a position say these things. And it is not an incident. Just last year another Japanese mayor denied the massacre of Nanjing.

You can't make Japan's problematic treatment of its past go away by pointing out that you have ultranationalists everywhere either. Do German schoolbooks deny WW2 atrocities? Are there German politicians in important places of power that deny German atrocities in WW2? This really is a problem that is particular to Japan.

Edit: The reason why this sort of thing is surprising to me, is because it is happening in a democratically ruled country, which is basically one of the 'western' countries. I am not surprised when the Russians say such things as that the Baltic states 'chose to be under the protection of the Sovjet union". But when this sort of talk is from a country you imagine you share values with... Also, it is coming from a man who appears to be quite young. Not from some old geezer stuck in ancient history.

It is not something to hate Japan for, of course. The whole idea that people in a country are responsible for what their grandparents did is laughable. Denying historical events for the sake of nationalistic pride is something else.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

OK. I see what you mean, then.

I'd say there's a distinct difference between denying an event occurred (however well established it is) and denying the quality of an event you accept occurred. Or to put it another way, it's worse to deny that Auschwitz was bad than to deny Auschwitz happened. 

This fellow seems to be denying the forced rapes were bad. This makes me sad. If anyone would care to do something beastly to him it would certainly improve my morale; and I therefore declare it 'necessary'.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"forced rapes"

Isn't rape, by defintion, forced sex? You don't need the phrased 'forced rape'. It is meaningless.

As for actual topic, the guy is a punk. Rape is NEVER neccessary.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If you imagine you share values with Japan I can only tell you that you're an idiot.

The current form of government was created by US bombs and bayonets. It has nothing to do with the Japanese mentality, which like in all Asian countries, leans implicitly or explicitly towards authoritarianism in some form or another.

Democracy is at best only formal in that part of the world. I see no reason why it should be otherwise either.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Whenever I think I've seen it all, something comes along to make my jaw drop.

History shows that human beings are very capable of justifying the most vile and reprehensible behavior conceivable. We're flexible that way.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

If you imagine you share values with Japan I can only tell you that you're an idiot.

The current form of government was created by US bombs and bayonets. It has nothing to do with the Japanese mentality, which like in all Asian countries, leans implicitly or explicitly towards authoritarianism in some form or another.

Democracy is at best only formal in that part of the world. I see no reason why it should be otherwise either.

You know Japan was a democracy before those authoritarians took over, like Germany. True story.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

You know Japan was a democracy before those authoritarians took over, like Germany. True story.

Really? I remember only clans. Tokugawa and then Emperor. If you're talking about that "Taisho" period, looking at it and it's failures proves only this 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

So conversely Europe which had Hitler, Mussolini and Franco is demonstrating it's penchant for the rights of man in this same period. If the good guys hadn't won there would have been no democracy at all, formal or otherwise.

If you are going to take stock of democratic tradition you need to do so after the deciding confrontation.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

So conversely Europe which had Hitler, Mussolini and Franco is demonstrating it's penchant for the rights of man in this same period

It's kind of an inverse deal, huh, good for pointing that out. Japan was experimenting with democracy while three of Europe's major countries experimented with theirs. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Gee, thanks!

Just didn't want you to get your hopes up  :biggrin:

So conversely Europe which had Hitler, Mussolini and Franco is demonstrating it's penchant for the rights of man in this same period. If the good guys hadn't won there would have been no democracy at all, formal or otherwise.

If you are going to take stock of democratic tradition you need to do so after the deciding confrontation.

Who said most of Europe had a democratic tradition either? Spain and Portugal were dictatorships until "yesterday". Germany was always an authoritarian state, the Weimar republic's short lived existence is the best proof you need. 

But that's not what I was arguing. I was pointing out that Asian societies are nothing like the west even when they're formally democratic. Most are strongly collectivist, traditionalist with a strong element of subordination and accepting one's place in society - and the "fate" that goes with it. Etc. Etc.

Japan is still an occupied country dominated by the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Forces_Japan

When the US is gone I wouldn't bet a dime on Japanese democracy. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor