RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

whoa that warhammer 40k game sounds like it has some serious potential

Not to rain on your parade but the website of said company doesn't exactly feature a selection of top notch games.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Will that be similar to Final Liberation then?

I actually enjoyed that game, and was my primary introduction to the Warhammer 40k universe haha.

It was one of the better games in the 40k universe. Chaos Gate was the best in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind playing either again. Just can't get Chaos Gate to run on Win 7 :/

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

DoW2: Retribution is my personal favorite Warhammer 40K game for 2 reasons:

1) Squad based - I suck at traditional base building massive army RTS games, but I thoroughly enjoy and excel am decent at squad based games.

2) They allow you to play the campaign as any race/faction - Do I have to play a ****ing space marine every single ****ing time?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2) They allow you to play the campaign as any race/faction - Do I have to play a ****ing space marine every single ****ing time?

C'mon now, can't blame Relic for wanting to save on voice acting by having Steve Blum act 90% of the lines in the game :p

I believe Sid Meier had a big hand in designing the iPad (?) game that Firaxis released a month or so ago, but that's the only game he's really led the project on recently.

Not to rain on your parade but the website of said company doesn't exactly feature a selection of top notch games.

Which translates to "I don't like wargames" basically, as their games are niche, but they are quality niche in the vast majority of cases. It'll be expensive, it won't go on sale much- and it won't be on Steam unless GW specified it had to be. But it will, very likely, be good. They know what they're doing, and it isn't just making ludicrous SS Panzergrenadier vs Roman Legionnaire, who would win and why??? Discuss! simulations for SpoikeTV

Edited by Zoraptor

Distant Worlds was interesting, though I found the unfortunate thing about that game was that it sort of just played itself haha.  Ironically I found the AI routines to be sufficient enough that it was usually optimal for me to do nothing.

DoW2: Retribution is my personal favorite Warhammer 40K game for 2 reasons:

1) Squad based - I suck at traditional base building massive army RTS games, but I thoroughly enjoy and excel am decent at squad based games.

Squad based I prefered Chaos Gate.

Didn't really like DoW2. Found it extremly boring. Much prefered the original DoW.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

We're currently pounding through Saints Row 3 at the moment.

Is that some kind of euphemism? 

:brows:

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I believe Sid Meier had a big hand in designing the iPad (?) game that Firaxis released a month or so ago, but that's the only game he's really led the project on recently.

Which translates to "I don't like wargames" basically, as their games are niche, but they are quality niche in the vast majority of cases. It'll be expensive, it won't go on sale much- and it won't be on Steam unless GW specified it had to be. But it will, very likely, be good. They know what they're doing, and it isn't just making ludicrous SS Panzergrenadier vs Roman Legionnaire, who would win and why??? Discuss! simulations for SpoikeTV

No it doesnt. It means that I haven't heard of any of their games make a splash which considering how much time I spend on this hobby means that they're either garbage or not featured in any of the more popular publications.  

If you say they're good I'll take your word for it.

As direct and blunt as it is, I don't think Saints Row 3 is realy into euphemisms. Unless it is to tease Pierce ;)

Finlly finished everything in the Saintsbook...

As direct and blunt as it is, I don't think Saints Row 3 is realy into euphemisms. Unless it is to tease Pierce ;)

Finlly finished everything in the Saintsbook...

So what you're saying is that you want me to tease It when I try to pierce, rather that trying to force it in bluntly...

Sorry, that's the best I could do...

I got nothin'

:blush:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Which translates to "I don't like wargames" basically, as their games are niche, but they are quality niche in the vast majority of cases.

No it doesnt. It means that I haven't heard of any of their games make a splash which considering how much time I spend on this hobby means that they're either garbage or not featured in any of the more popular publications. 

OK, it probably means that you regard CoD/ BF or MoW/ CoH as wargames if you think you like them but have never heard of Matrix/ Slitherine. They'd be the biggest maker/ publisher of computer wargames (as opposed to fps/ rts using war as a setting) by a fair margin.

While I get tired of SMs once in a while too, they are the best tool to make a tactical strong few vs weak horde gameplay, which I happen to like. :p

Not that DoW2 was perfect in that regard, but they tried, and it was kinda fun.

Which translates to "I don't like wargames" basically, as their games are niche, but they are quality niche in the vast majority of cases.

OK, it probably means that you regard CoD/ BF or MoW/ CoH as wargames if you think you like them but have never heard of Matrix/ Slitherine. They'd be the biggest maker/ publisher of computer wargames (as opposed to fps/ rts using war as a setting) by a fair margin.

I know what wargames are, its just that they used to be featured alongside other turn based games in reviews until the genre became so obscure and low budget compared to the games that make serious money that many websites and magazines stopped covering them.

RTS and the standard pc turn based games appeal to me more. Wargames are too much (or exactly like) board games for my tastes.

I played through all the single player Dawn of War 2 stuff and it was the most boring gameplay I've played in a long time. The original campaign was just a series of generic battles that shuffled a few similar locations and enemies every few missions.

The expansions had better stories, but the overall game was too easy and the whole concept of sorta having a base in multiplayer but not really coupled with only a handful of units didn't stick with me. 

For no reason at all Relic tinkered with what wasn't broken, instead of improving the core gameplay of DoW.

But then, they generally have a problem with sequels. Homeworld 2 wasn't very good overall, even though it had some great ideas and jaw dropping visual design.

This.  As a wargamer Matrix is certainly on my radar as *the* place I go to find wargames..  They make niche games, but they are hardcore, grognard style games (I have lots months of my life to War in the Pacific and it's Admiral's Edition as well).

Battles from the Bulge was also really well done.  Given that Slitherine also did remakes of the classic Close Combat games, I don't think any grognard could have possibly not heard of them (or Matrix).

Some people have short memory: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-03-activision-diablo-3-has-over-10-million-players

10 million units sold in the first three months.

Dunno about you but that sounds pretty swell to me.

How many of those were people that paid for a years WoW subscription and got D3 for free I wonder...

Well, there were 9.6 million WOW players, dropped to 8.8 million?

However, I think Blizz sources let it leak that it was only in the 1 to 2 million range for WoW subcribers that added to the D3 count.   In the numbers that Bliz has actually let leaked though, there has been quite an amount of suspicion on those who are not rabid fans on how much they are actually twisting those numbers...as they integrated the WoW free gain of D3 on the account each as an additional sell of D3.

Note that in some statistics they mark some rather impossible numbers considering sales.  According to some of what they posted, D3 would be more popular and bigger in culture than WoW over the past year in some arenas....

But that's not reflected in what seems to actually happen.

The bigger truth seems to be that it was massively pre-ordered, which occurred.  They also counted many of the free downloads for the full version...as full version subscriptions, if not purchases.  They also counted one person with multiple characters finishing the game as different people finishing...or rather twisting it to say characters finishing the game in some statements...either that or their number of people who have the game and have finished the game exceed their number of sales by a greater margin...which is odd considering the extent they took to prevent people from having the full game for free...

The one to 3 million numbers are actual Blizzard numbers revealed on the forums for the number of those actively playing currently. 

As for PC gaming dying...it's not my fault that PC sales are 1/25th of what they were a little over a decade ago.  I know PC gamers refuse to see it, but then again, VHS aficionados would probably also say that VHS is not a dead medium either.

PC gaming DRM'd itself to death.  Steam is doing well in PC gaming...not many others really are.  It's a supplemental income at best to add onto their console or tablet game sales at this point for most.  Even Steam wants into the Console generations to a certain degree.  Console sales may also be on the way down...but they aren't that bad yet...not at the hardcore PC game level at least.  On the otherhand, Tablet and smart phone games are blowing console sales out of the water overall.

But hey...you can ignore the tide as the water comes in, but don't blame me when you drown.

Not saying this to put Blizzard down, but they, like any other company are still trying to hype their software.  That's understandable, but shuffling through the way they twist it to see more of what happened and what's happening is probably a wiser path to take.  Blizzard is perhaps one of the last bastions...or was at least...of the PC gaming market.  It seems even they are going to give consoles another shot soon however.

Reason...because despite declining sales...the Console market still is so massive compared to the PC market at this time...that it's like comparing a fly to an airplane.  Then again...consoles compared to the smartphone/tablet market is like comparing that plane to one of those massive cityships from Independence day or V or something.

Slitherine has announced Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon, which it partially revealed back in March through a partnership with Games Workshop.

The developer has acquired the exclusive rights to the Battle for Armageddon setting in order to create a series of multiplatform, turn-based, hex games.

The initial game is set during the Second War of Armageddon and players will lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines from the Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders Chapters against Ghazghkull Thraka’s massive Ork invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the “hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities.”

“It is very exciting to see a game like this come alive – I just can’t wait to play it!”, said Iain McNeil, development director of the Slitherine Group. “It’s been almost 15 years since a turn-based strategy game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe has been released and we think it is now time to deliver that experience to all fans around the world”.

“The Battle for Armageddon is a classic event in the lore of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, having been detailed in games, models and novels over the past 20 years.” said Jon Gillard, head of licensing at Games Workshop. “Slitherine’s masterful use of their classic digital wargame style applied to this seminal setting will delight fans of both.”

Main features of the game include:

• The game portrays the Second War for Armageddon in great detail, from the initial Ork landings to the final liberation of the planet.
  • A large branching campaign with 30 major scenarios, plus additional 5 tutorial scenarios that explore the story in detail.
  • A complex plot, which can develop during a mission, right in the middle of battle, creating an engaging story line with unexpected twists.
  • Players lead Imperial troops of the Armageddon Steel Legion, with supporting assets from a number of Space Marine chapters against the ferocious Orks.
  • Fight alongside Commissar Yarrik and Commander Dante against the cunning Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka.
  • Carry over battle-hardened veterans from scenario to scenario, using their experience and upgrading their equipment.
  • Detailed combat model with terrain, weather and morale effects.
  • Extensive modding options delivered through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor.

Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon contains over 35 scenarios, more than 100 unit types, with unique roles, stats and special abilities; and there will be 20 different units stats.

A separate set of maps are designed and balanced specifically for multiplayer via Slitherine’s PBEM++ system.

The game is currently in development for PC and iOS and will release in the first quarter of 2014.

I believe I have the boardgame, is it going to be based off that.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3177/battle-for-armageddon

This.  As a wargamer Matrix is certainly on my radar as *the* place I go to find wargames..  They make niche games, but they are hardcore, grognard style games (I have lots months of my life to War in the Pacific and it's Admiral's Edition as well).

Battles from the Bulge was also really well done.  Given that Slitherine also did remakes of the classic Close Combat games, I don't think any grognard could have possibly not heard of them (or Matrix).

I'm probably not a grognard in the computer game sense of wargames.  I've heard of them though.  I don't think they are big sellers in relation to other PC makers, but they do well for a niche market...if I'm not mistaken.

As for PC gaming dying...it's not my fault that PC sales are 1/25th of what they were a little over a decade ago.  I know PC gamers refuse to see it, but then again, VHS aficionados would probably also say that VHS is not a dead medium either.

PC gaming DRM'd itself to death.  Steam is doing well in PC gaming...not many others really are.  It's a supplemental income at best to add onto their console or tablet game sales at this point for most.  Even Steam wants into the Console generations to a certain degree.  Console sales may also be on the way down...but they aren't that bad yet...not at the hardcore PC game level at least.  On the otherhand, Tablet and smart phone games are blowing console sales out of the water overall.

But hey...you can ignore the tide as the water comes in, but don't blame me when you drown.

Not saying this to put Blizzard down, but they, like any other company are still trying to hype their software.  That's understandable, but shuffling through the way they twist it to see more of what happened and what's happening is probably a wiser path to take.  Blizzard is perhaps one of the last bastions...or was at least...of the PC gaming market.  It seems even they are going to give consoles another shot soon however.

Reason...because despite declining sales...the Console market still is so massive compared to the PC market at this time...that it's like comparing a fly to an airplane.  Then again...consoles compared to the smartphone/tablet market is like comparing that plane to one of those massive cityships from Independence day or V or something.

Really?  Sources?  PC gaming sales hit 20 billion dollars last year, a growth of 8%, and expected to hit 25 billion by 2016.  That doesn't even accurately reflect digital sales of pc games as those figures are rarely released.  I'd love it if my business was dying that successfully.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/07/09/diablo-3-spearheads-230-jump-in-pc-game-sales/

http://pcgamingalliance.org/press/details/pc-gaming-alliance-releases-two-member-exclusive-reports

Also, I seem to recall an EA earnings report where they were shown to be making more money than from PS3 games, and certainly Wii games.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. We're seeing the console-pc cycle again. Whenever a new generation of consoles come out, they'll be very popular and PC games will be seen as dying. When the consoles age, PC gaming increases in popularity again until the next generation of consoles is released.

Except its doubtful that the new generation of consoles will explode the same way as the current one did (and even the one before that).

I don' think they'll have as much appeal as the PS3, PS2 and XB360 had. People like novelty or at least they have to be convinced they're buying something new and the new generation doesn't have it.

Just how many ways can the electronics industry sell "the new way to interact with your TV, Facebook and Skype" before it customers get weary of it.

They'll still make heaps of money of course but saturation is bound to happen at some point. Of course, that doesn't mean people will flock to the PC magically.