What you did today

Rosbjerg

Beat me to it, by 5 hours.. damn you! :grin:

Mayhaps the amazing lens-flare in the music video caught my eye.. or your levels of Google-fu need more work grasshopper.. 

That, and I happened to catch io9's post about it as midnight hit here in the UK...  ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Grandma was diagnosed with aggressive leukemia, the doctor's mentioned "weeks". My mother is a wreck. : /

I did make a crappy digital painting of a pig though, so there's that.

Sorry to hear that. I lost my grandma in February. It was a very difficult time and it was one of very few occasions I've seen my father really cry. My thoughts go to you, your grandma and your family. The way my grandma passed away wasn't what I wished for her either, but I try to think of all the great moments I had with her.

Yeah, my grandma was so bad in the end that we couldn't even say goodbye properly. Don't take that lightly. You have the opportunity to spend time together and I guess that is all that matters for now. I think I speak for the whole board when I say that we are all here for you. (Not that I'm sure how much it helps that some stranger on the net says that.)

Hey, you don't speak for me, you bastard.

Anyway, sorry to hear that TrueNeutral, hope you make good use of the time.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hey, you don't speak for me, you bastard.

Anyway, sorry to hear that TrueNeutral, hope you make good use of the time.

Come over here, I have something to show you in this dark back-alley...

Today I decided to make an exercise-break so I spent my free time to seal some ammo absolutely airtight for my SHTF backpack project using my food vacuumizer. The ammunition should still be in perfect condition after 200 years of lying at the bottom of the ocean. There is zero moisture inside and no way for moisture to get in. 

shtfammosealed_zpsf97f893a.jpg

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Sorry to hear bout that TrueNeutral.

On other more cheerful matters, I decided to indulge in some decadent sweet tooth type moment. Sliced up 3 bananas, slowly built one layer of said slices, added sultanas, cinnamon, sprinkled sugar.. splashed bacardi rum, added cream. Then repeated, layer after layer until all banana slices were used up. Heated it all up to that point just before the banana slices start to lose their shape.... then added a fresh drizzle of cold cream and ready to sit down and eat...  :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, my immediate boss is transferring to an equivalent position elsewhere in the office.  I have about a week to decide whether I want to throw my name in the hat to try to get her job.  It'd be an almost totally defensive move.  There is some appeal to doing broader, higher level work, and it's a more impressive title, but due to a quirk in our compensation system, the pay is the same, and the workload, deadline pressure, and associated stress would be multiplied.  Plus, I've never really been anybody's boss before, and this would put me "in charge" of at least 2 folks (and hopefully more, as we're presently rather understaffed), both of whom have more experience than I do (but who are, for varying reasons, somewhat unsuitable for and/or uninterested in management). 

Honestly, I think I'd be a longshot for the position.  But it is conceivable that the folks in the office (note:  Office = 130 or so people; one group is normally 5 or 6 folks, including a boss) who have the better management-track resumes might give this one a pass, as it's a group with somewhat intimidating subject matter and some folks who have been management challenges in the past.  (There's a reason why my present boss is taking the lateral move she was offered.)  And I would probably be better than most at navigating those particular difficulties, as I've worked in this area and with these folks for almost 7 years.  Also, moving me up a rung would make the group even more understaffed than it already is.  And I do have a tendency towards "don't try because you might fail and feel bad" thinking.  Which I try to discount, but I find the best way to do so is to acknowledge it openly.

But still, breaking in a new boss is a pain in the ass.  And, if the "good" candidates decide to skip this one, I don't want to spend years working for a second-rate supervisor. 

Enoch, take it.

If all else fails, you've at least got the slot on your resume for a better job down the road because you look like a more attractive candidate.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

--Condolences to both you and your mother, TN.

--I don't think I've ever seen vacuum-packed ammo before. :)

--I'm in one of those moods/having a craving where 10 pounds of chocolate sounds about right. :cat:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

--I don't think I've ever seen vacuum-packed ammo before. :)

Me neither, but I guess thats because vacuum-sealed ammo is usually hidden and buried in the ground.  ;) 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Enoch, take it.

If all else fails, you've at least got the slot on your resume for a better job down the road because you look like a more attractive candidate.

It is a consideration, albeit a small one, that even if I'm not one of their leading candidates, upper management may take note of those who display some measure of ambition, which can lead to opportunities elsewhere. 

I hesitate to add that there is another guy in particular who I suspect might apply for it, and who appears to be "in" with upper management moreso than I am.  (With good reason-- he's had some more experience running a high-profile office-wide endeavor, and has been better about volunteering to help other teams and such.)  In the long run, I'd probably be fine with working for him, because I have a lot of respect for his intelligence and work ethic.  But it would probably take me a bit to get over the ego bruise, because he started this job on the same day I did.  (Also, we sometimes attend the same after-work poker game, which could get awkward.) 

Chinese take out, The Voice, some lovin', then midnight gaming. It's a rough life, but someone's gotta do it.

...altho my bad knees have been particularly terrible lately. My fault, been slacking on the leg/knee strengthening stuff too much. Squats are a no-no. I should build stadium benches in the backyard to walk up and down on. :)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Enoch, take it.

It is a consideration, albeit a small one, that even if I'm not one of their leading candidates, upper management may take note of those who display some measure of ambition, which can lead to opportunities elsewhere. 

I hesitate to add that there is another guy in particular who I suspect might apply for it, and who appears to be "in" with upper management moreso than I am.  (With good reason-- he's had some more experience running a high-profile office-wide endeavor, and has been better about volunteering to help other teams and such.)  In the long run, I'd probably be fine with working for him, because I have a lot of respect for his intelligence and work ethic.  But it would probably take me a bit to get over the ego bruise, because he started this job on the same day I did.  (Also, we sometimes attend the same after-work poker game, which could get awkward.) 

So there isn't really anything to be lost by applying, and if you're noticed applying within the same group, if the next boss doesn't work out they may just tap you to be promoted.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So, my immediate boss is transferring to an equivalent position elsewhere in the office.  I have about a week to decide whether I want to throw my name in the hat to try to get her job.  It'd be an almost totally defensive move.  There is some appeal to doing broader, higher level work, and it's a more impressive title, but due to a quirk in our compensation system, the pay is the same, and the workload, deadline pressure, and associated stress would be multiplied.  Plus, I've never really been anybody's boss before, and this would put me "in charge" of at least 2 folks (and hopefully more, as we're presently rather understaffed), both of whom have more experience than I do (but who are, for varying reasons, somewhat unsuitable for and/or uninterested in management). 

Honestly, I think I'd be a longshot for the position.  But it is conceivable that the folks in the office (note:  Office = 130 or so people; one group is normally 5 or 6 folks, including a boss) who have the better management-track resumes might give this one a pass, as it's a group with somewhat intimidating subject matter and some folks who have been management challenges in the past.  (There's a reason why my present boss is taking the lateral move she was offered.)  And I would probably be better than most at navigating those particular difficulties, as I've worked in this area and with these folks for almost 7 years.  Also, moving me up a rung would make the group even more understaffed than it already is.  And I do have a tendency towards "don't try because you might fail and feel bad" thinking.  Which I try to discount, but I find the best way to do so is to acknowledge it openly.

But still, breaking in a new boss is a pain in the ass.  And, if the "good" candidates decide to skip this one, I don't want to spend years working for a second-rate supervisor. 

I think you really made your decision for yourself in the final paragraph, sometimes you have to take one for the team and in my experience, assuming direct control (yes, I know) is sometimes the price you have to pay for not having to put up with an idiot boss.

That said, there are also challenges related to moving to a management position "from the ranks". Unfortunately professional organizations tend to (s)elect bosses based on performance in their actual work, meaning that you tend to get workaholics with limited people skills/a focus on upwards mobility where they don't care on who they trample in management positions. Kind of like working in a smaller firm for a change.

• Like 3

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Actually, it's really easy to figure out.

Iowa State Cyclones

Our mascot is "Cy"

We "ride" a bus

CyRide.

I wasn't asking for an explanation, just trying to cheer you up. ;)

Sounds to me as if

a) You already lean towards taking it

b) You need to establish what keeping the new hours and commitments will do to your existing commitments

c) I'd prefer to work for you than one of the hard working simpletons Nepenthe describes

d) It might help if I give you this imaginary hat. The basic hat is a Napoleonic war shako, but I've glued sparkles to it, and a model of you stamping on people - made of scrunched up  tinfoil - above the legend "Eat My Firesome <sic> Leadership".

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sounds to me as if

a) You already lean towards taking it

b) You need to establish what keeping the new hours and commitments will do to your existing commitments

c) I'd prefer to work for you than one of the hard working simpletons Nepenthe describes

d) It might help if I give you this imaginary hat. The basic hat is a Napoleonic war shako, but I've glued sparkles to it, and a model of you stamping on people - made of scrunched up  tinfoil - above the legend "Eat My Firesome <sic> Leadership".

Best leaders are often those who didn't particularly want the job, but are more or less naturally thrust into it.

Thanks for humoring my stream-of-consciousness career-planning and work-envy narrative.  It does help to have someplace to write out my thoughts as they coalesce.  And, re-reading what I wrote, your collective feedback is pretty much what I would say were I in you-all's position.  (Although I doubt that I would have come up with anything as entertaining as Wals' response.) 

The logic I'm settling on is that, if they can't find anybody better than me, I'd rather do it myself than I would work for somebody worse than me.  It hurts not a bit to be on the list of candidates, and the application process is (after some inquiry) actually pretty painless.  I just have to prepare myself for the fact that, in all likelihood, this will end with the Powers That Be deciding that somebody else is Better Than Me by their criteria.  Which may sting a bit (depending on whom they select), but I'll probably get over it relatively quickly-- by working with New Boss, I should be able to establish quickly either that they were right and NB is Better Than Me, or that upper management are total idiots for selecting him/her. 

I also may be able to get some additional backstory on all these management moves early next week.  I have a lunch set up with somebody who may be willing to divulge a bit more when speaking outside the building. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1