Community Photo Sharing Thread

LadyCrimson

Looks unhealthy. 

Then again, Buddha is a 600lbs heavy naked smiling dude that preaches self discipline. Its all weird there. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Been camping & climbing around in the mountains...

The peak at 11 o' clock was my goal. 

grossg1_zps4e63cf56.jpg

grossg2_zpsb9925065.jpg

grossg8_zps194b5e72.jpg

grossg6_zps226b5c37.jpg

Reaching the peak, at 3050 meters / 10k ft above sea level. Boy was it windy and cold up there. 

grossg4_zpsae5250aa.jpg

Some kind of cool lichen

grossg5_zps408f2b38.jpg

Gentian

grossg7_zps881350d7.jpg

A Woldan in his natural habitat.  

moi_zps8c0eeffc.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

Going over the Hero Walls...

10606574_10152640832677505_1549450072089

The final obstacle.. Electroshock Therapy. And the joys of 10,000 volts..

10570305_10152640834802505_5054200382476

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Today I saw one of my favorite road cars. The Lotus Exige Sport edition. It made all the other cars around it look like ugly, clunky and antiquated bricks with wheels. 

lotus3_zps0d2561a6.jpg

lotus2_zps0faff8bf.jpg

lotus1_zps5eed3118.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

Been camping & climbing around in the mountains...

The peak at 11 o' clock was my goal.

So, don't leave us hanging...

...did you get to the peak by 11 o'clock?

:disguise:

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So, don't leave us hanging...

...did you get to the peak by 11 o'clock?

:disguise:

The last 20 vertical meters to the peak were insane so I decided it wasn't worth risking my life for it, I already was at 3000 meters above sea level and so close to the peak that I stopped and called it a day. 

Don't get me wrong, I was risking my life the entire time, its high alpine climbing after all, one misstep or one slip and you're falling a couple thousand meters before hitting the ground like a meteor. (I never use rope or anchors.)

But the last couple of meters involved climbing an extremely narrow almost vertical wall of lose frozen rocks during 100+ km/h wind, it was a nightmare. 

I have no problems with taking risks but a good mountaineer knows when to stop and turn around.Those who don't usually end up in the newspapers, and you wouldn't believe how many climbers die every year in the mountains, mountains I have climbed. 

Once I had to turn around because I didn't want to cross an insanely dangerous snowfield to reach a summit, it wasn't worth the risk. Imagine a patch of snow, 10 meters wide, 50 meters long, about 40 degrees steep and so sloped to the left side so you could barely stand on it, at the end of the side slope a free fall of 1000 meters awaited you. And now imagine the snow being wet and melting from the sun. 

5 days later I read in the news that a couple of climbers slipped and died right there. 

Edited by Woldan

Finally, some awesome cars. Not many around here appreciate a good motor and a nice body. 

Speaking of fun things that sound incredible, there is an audio app for your phone with nothing but engine sounds you control. It's a simple tachometer that takes up the whole screen, with a throttle, start button, gear-change button, and I think a brake. You start the engine, the tach revs, hit the gas and accelerate, shift, nail the throttle, shift again, hit the redline ... shift down a few gears, punch it, hit top gear ... whatever you want ... it is so fun you won't believe it. The app is free, you get a "Euro" V12, V4 sportbike, and a V8 muscle. You can purchase additional three-engine packs for .99, like the "Historic GP" pack, with a flat 12 Grand Prix engine, a GP V8, and a turbo GP V6. The other packs are "Racecar" (which has a tiny pic of a Pagani(?)), "Supercar," "Street Tuner," "Street Bike" (inline 3 British (has to be Triumph), and V-twin Euro, and U.S. styles), "Off-Road," "V-8 Thunder," and lastly "Modern GP." I haven't paid for any new packs yet, it's such a blast with the free ones, but that flat 12 is gonna be bonkers. The app is called RevHeadz, made by a trio of dudes who have been recording engine sounds for video games for twenty years.   

All Stop. On Screen.

Finally, some awesome cars. Not many around here appreciate a good motor and a nice body.

Not true, all the potential mrs. Nepenthes who've made past the initial interview into the actual tryouts have had those characteristics!

... Back on topic:

Damson.jpg

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

In a perfect world, I'd have a Cord 812 (although preferably without the vapor lock problem)

cord8121937.png

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was bored so I went outside to fool around with macro and really low ISO settings.  I would have done a better job if those tiny leaves weren't dancing around in the slightest breeze. 

(BTW, pics are awfully downsized in quality to keep the file size down. )

leafwithdrops4_zpsedb82045.jpg

leafwithdrops3_zpsc770bc59.jpg

leafwithdrops_zpsbdcb2cb3.jpg

• Like 11

Jesus, that's simply beautiful!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's a very intense indigo, Woldan. To what plant does it belong?

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hiked through a large dead forest, it instantly reminded me of the opening scenes of the (excellent) film ''The road'' and I got some post-apocalyptic vibes. 

theroad_austria_zps0ff14775.jpg

Also I found some cool fungi, I think its a slime mold in winter stasis but I'm not entirely sure.

shroom2_zpse5269d60.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wild goose. They were huge and looked really tasty. Also I wonder if that specimen with the black head was the only male in that group? 

ducks_zps238d3876.jpg

Very still water at dawn. (for some reason this pic lost a lot of quality when I uploaded it)

mirroredtreeswold3_zps1e3a50a9.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

Woldan, you should freelance for National Geographic. Your pictures aren't just beautiful, they're art.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy