What's going on in Boston?

Blarghagh

None of my news networks are reporting anything. I heard something about loss of life and limb?

EDIT: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/us/explosions-reported-at-site-of-boston-marathon.html?_r=0

2 Explosions at the finish of the Boston Marathon. Unknown cause thus far. So far dozens wounded reported and 3 casualties.

Edited by TrueNeutral

....since I follow mostly Red Sox fans, you can imagine what my Twitter feed looks like right now.

It's on all the networks right now. I'm definitely interested to know the cause. The video I saw didn't look much like fire...some kind of pressure explosion perhaps?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Apparently two homemade bombs went off.   Sad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ball bearings have been reported as being part of the devices that blew up, so this was no accidental pair of explosions. So, care to speculate on the nature of the terrorist(s)? At least two are dead, a couple dozen injured.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Could be homegrown wackos.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Supposedly some packages that didn't explode have been found or suspected. Ah well....I'll check in again later when they have more clear info. Just hope that's the end of it and there aren't any more actual explosions.

boston globe liveblog/notes link: http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One would think that the security sweeps before such a huge event would have uncovered them, if they were planted then. I would think that there would be a lot of cameras around to catch who did this if it happened while the event was taking place.

Hopefully the rest of the injured people make it through this.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Evidently a Saudi national has been detained as a suspect at a local hospital (4:55pm update).

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I missed that speech...clicked the YT link and he was just finishing. Course, the TV news will repeat it a zillion times, so I guess I'll move out to that room for a minute.

Well, I'm more relieved now that I found that the only friend I have in Boston is safe and all of his family & friends are as well.
He lives 5 miles away from where the incident took place and during the course of the conversation I heard the sirens of passing fire trucks.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This is tragic, but it does sound like law enforcement was able to isolate even more explosive devices and avoid even more deaths.  The numbers are still coming in, sadly with such a high injury rate I imagine the death toll will continue to climb.

Before we start pointing fingers over this senseless violence, I think this quote from Mr. Rogers is important:

155769_10200931760081429_479309294_n.jpg

• Like 5

Evidently a Saudi national has been detained as a suspect at a local hospital (4:55pm update).

The police have, at least from what I've read and seen, said that this was a false report and they've not got anyone in custody. 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

My predictions are:

1. Poorly mixed, or partly separated ANFO devices - red core to explosion, lots of smoke, suggests combustion

2. Al Qaeda aligned group - multiple time staggered devices. Possibly just inspired by, but improbable.

3. Director of group is US national - significance of Boston to US independence

4. They will be caught - Boston FBI are **** hot at counter-terror and org. crime.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This will be the first Al Qaeda act in the US since 11/9 (that is how you write dates properly I don't care) if that is the case.

As usual they depend on the press to provide the drama.  Maybe that's a blessing in disguise as they don't need to kill very many people for this to make headlines the next few days.

In fact it would be problematic if all the pagentry and imagery of ambulances and police investigations died down quickly as that might promt another attack.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

This will be the first Al Qaeda act in the US since 11/9 (that is how you write dates properly I don't care) if that is the case.

As usual they depend on the press to provide the drama.  Maybe that's a blessing in disguise as they don't need to kill very many people for this to make headlines the next few days.

In fact it would be problematic if all the pagentry and imagery of ambulances and police investigations died down quickly as that might promt another attack.

I follow your logic, but I doubt there would be another attack quickly, even without media coverage. Quite apart from the simple logistics of building bombs, AlQ standing orders are to go underground after an attack. Disappear off the grid as fast as possible. *

Not that low media coverage is imaginable in the US blood and bullets media culture. High competition seems to drive every media source to swarm (The Long Tail notwithstanding).

One further thought struck me: Sunni based KFQs in Iraq regularly attack Shia pilgrim processions. I wonder if there might be an inspirational parrallel.

* I don't if you can still get them, but after 9/11 the net was awash with AlQ training manuals. I DO NOT advise looking for these online or holding a copy. Ask someone you know in law enforcement if you can read one. DO NOT share any copies. It's very probably an offence, whatever country you live in.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wasn't former regular poster Slowtrain from Boston?  I seem to remember him talking about the Boston sewer system and train system at one point.  I know he doesn't post regularly (last in march), but anyone heard from him?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

From what I'm reading the bomb was a somewhat amateurish build despite the number of injuries it caused. The current thinking is that is was more likely one or two a******s working alone rather than an organized attack. So far a number of groups have disavowed responsibility. I wonder if this is another incident like that Adal Hassan guy in Texas? Whoever it was needs to be hunted down like the vermin they are... and they will be.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My guess is a wannabe, either an Al-Qaeda or a Ted Kaczynski one. Still, the cruelty of the attack is despicable.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My guess is a wannabe, either an Al-Qaeda or a Ted Kaczynski one. Still, the cruelty of the attack is despicable.

I'm not sure cruelty is the word, as much as I loath it. the phenomenon of the Lone Fethwit has surely revealed these dogbiscuits are just generically angry rather than cruel.

Note to self: I'm really getting the hang of not swearing.

Edit: This does not apply when gaming. Without forethought I actually used the following exclamation last week:

"Oh, so it's a fight you want, is it, lizard t*ts? Well let's see how you like this, you pathetic c**kbasket!"

(edited by witness)

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

He used very small pellets for shrapnel which is why there are so many wounded and so few fatalities. Of course one can't know if this was a deliberate strategy. They were also very small devices and possibly just not capable of killing anyone not in the immediate vicinity.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.