Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will interactions have cutscenes or just dialogue windows?

cutscenes voiceovers dialogue

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Samy

Samy

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I'm going to buy the game either way, but I'd like to know in advance which it is so I don't get my hopes up.

When you interact and talk with NPCs in PE, will it be more like NWN2/Dragon Age/Mass Effect, with zoomed-in cutscenes? Or will it be more like the Infinity Engine games and NWN1, where you stay at the same view level and just have dialogue boxes pop up? I'm assuming the latter since it's probably a whole lot cheaper.

On a related note, to what extent will there be voiceovers? Full voiceovers are probably out too, like cutscenes, right? So like the Infinity Engine games, we'll have what, the first line voiceovered, and the rest of the dialogue just in mute text? Will companions have catchphrases like Minsc or will they be fully mute?

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6551 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

It should be the latter option. And no full voice overs.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
like the Infinity Engine games.

The best we can hope for is all or most NPCs will have an opening voiced line or partial line, and only major characters and party-joinable NPCs will have more. And even that might be too expensive.

Edited by Sensuki, 10 April 2013 - 01:33 AM.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1498 posts

As a side note, character portraits (even generic ones, like "peasant" or "nobleman") tremendously improve on dialogue boxes for me.

• mokona, Malekith, Ineth and 6 others like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Agreed!

Dark Sun had this (even if the portraits were quite small)

2enm5ph.jpg

Edited by Sensuki, 10 April 2013 - 03:22 AM.

• Rosenkrantz likes this

Failion

Failion

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

If they are going to add cutscenes during dialogue they going to really need a competent person or team to adjust the camera of said scenes and make them look good and what the writer wants. Could be worth doing but will be frustrating.

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1960 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I hope there are no cutscenes.  One of the arguments in favor of voice and why having a silent protagonist feels weird is because such cutscenes are geared up for voice, seeing someone talking but hearing no sound makes it feel like something is missing.  Since PE is not going to be voiced beyond what the old IE games were (catch phrases in combat and the occasional line perhaps, though I have no problems with it just being the battle catch phrases), which I think is a good thing (voice costs so much and causes so much to be lost in favor of it that I don't consider it worth it), and so dialogue boxes would be the better way to go (not to mention that zooming in to show faces would be awkward since the game is isometric with 2D backdrops).

• Malekith, dukeofwhales and IWannaBeATiger like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I kind of like the look of the dialogue system for D:OS:

Divinity_OriginalSin_24_crop_v2.jpg

• Rosenkrantz likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
*Raises hand*

I hereby offer to fully voice-act the entire game (or, at least, the remainder after they do all the good-quality, paid voice-acting they've already planned), for free.

I can guarantee price, but not quality. Although, I CAN guarantee that Obsidian could do worse than me.

8)
  • Boo's Brother Hoo likes this

EternalGrace

EternalGrace

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like this layout.

spudud

spudud

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think someone from obsidian said they created a new dialog system; but like everyone here said, there probably won't be full VO. Someone on another thread suggested animated portraits with facial expressions, that would be kinda cool during interactions.

Edited by spudud, 10 April 2013 - 09:53 PM.

mokona

mokona

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yes, at least headshot paintings for talking NPCs. Even better would be upper torso and head or 3/4 shots.

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The best we can hope for is all or most NPCs will have an opening voiced line or partial line, and only major characters and party-joinable NPCs will have more. And even that might be too expensive.

If you've looked at the update which included preliminary head models for dwarves, you'd see that there's a logical inconsistency with that high a level of geometric detail and the presumption that the game will never leave the standard isometric view.

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think that looks a little too slick/modern/synthetic for a game like PE, a more "solid" and fantasy-styled UI like BG2 had would be preferable.

• Malekith likes this

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you've looked at the update which included preliminary head models for dwarves, you'd see that there's a logical inconsistency with that high a level of geometric detail and the presumption that the game will never leave the standard isometric view.

They have already explained that those high-poly character models will be used for

a) paper-dolls in the inventory screen,

b) to generate normal-maps for the low-poly models that will be used in the normal (isometric) game view.

So no, they are not an indication for in-game cut-scenes leaving the isometric view.

And indeed I don't think that will be the case.

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think someone from obsidian said they created a new dialog system; but like everyone here said, there probably won't be full VO. Someone on another thread suggested animated portraits with facial expressions, that would be kinda cool during interactions.

Animating faces using 3D models in a way that looks at least *somewhat* realistic, is very difficult i.e. expensive.

For a triple-A first-person 3D game with a 100 million dollar budget, it might be a worthwhile investment.

But in the case of PE, I think not.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Not exactly

Pictured at the front of this update is a high-poly dwarf head that Dimitri Berman (lead character artist) modeled in ZBrush. The high-poly head is used for making normal maps which aid in lighting the character models. A simplified mesh is created from the high-poly head is used in game.

The high-poly modelling is for baking out normal maps. The low-poly modelling is what you see in game. The same low-poly model will be used for in-game and paperdoll.

Edited by Sensuki, 12 April 2013 - 02:33 AM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

They have already explained that those high-poly character models will be used for

I think that guy just likes to argue.

• Bryy, Lephys and Kjaamor like this

spudud

spudud

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Animating faces using 3D models in a way that looks at least *somewhat* realistic, is very difficult i.e. expensive.

For a triple-A first-person 3D game with a 100 million dollar budget, it might be a worthwhile investment.

But in the case of PE, I think not.

I suppose, although rendered portraits are really cool as well so IDK about OP but I won't be bummed out either way. I just hope they include more than a handful and make them class/race specific.

Edited by spudud, 12 April 2013 - 04:12 AM.

Boo's Brother Hoo

Boo's Brother Hoo

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Corwin Mhael

I think Obsidian might be overlooking a vast untapped resource.  Lephys makes a great point, plenty of fans would be willing to do voice overs for free (or some novelty payment like an NPC with their name).   The could put out a few lines of sample dialogue, and ask people to send sound recordings of themselves voicing it, with the signed agreement that they will not be paid for any voicing used.  The cost associated with it would be paying someone to sift through the videos and find the decent ones.  The people picked could be contacted for more lines.  Would work just fine for minor NPC's, and you really only need first line and one line voice overs to get the feel.

I'm sure there are more complications, but its an untapped resource nonetheless. 

• Rosenkrantz likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cutscenes, voiceovers, dialogue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users