RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

There's a better chance of them tossing out something good (Stardock or Paradox) simply because of their work within the Genre. And honestly, I could see paradox making Homeworld into more of a theatre thing, and it working out really well

Sure, but you have two options at this point:

1. Continue wallowing at what could have been but likely will never happen despite one's protestations
  2. Accept that Gearbox is going to use the license (or not...) and in the event that the game is completely total crap, it's no different than where we would have been had the IP remained buried as it has been for so long.

One of these lets you move on and even become receptive of the game, and the other turns you into a jaded person that will pick up the game just to spite it, NMA style (with Fallout 3).

Edited by alanschu

True, but then it'd be more relevant if the game was in development. Right now we're just discussing how we think that Gearbox isn't gonna be a great option for this.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

True, but then it'd be more relevant if the game was in development. Right now we're just discussing how we think that Gearbox isn't gonna be a great option for this.

My point is more: "It's not like the IP was being actively used before Gearbox acquired it."

It went for a relatively modest $1.35M and at least the Gearbox guy claims to be a fan.  At that cost it certainly didn't seem to be a series that has much impetus to drive development IMO.

Is Gearbox making a new Homeworld game, or are they going to outsource it? :p

...never played it, but based on the info/screens of Homeworld, I'd predict Gearbox's foray into RTS probably won't be a rousing success, if only because it doesn't seem like their forte/strength. Still...they could surprise fans, and I can't blame them for wanting to maybe branch out/grow.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There's a better chance of them tossing out something good (Stardock or Paradox) simply because of their work within the Genre. And honestly, I could see paradox making Homeworld into more of a theatre thing, and it working out really well

A couple of years ago Paradox would have fitted well, now they'd outsource it and have it end up as a pared down bug ridden mess chasing Magicka's 'magic formula' and designed to have vast quantities of dlc bolted onto it. Though at least it wouldn't be them transparently aping someone else's IP (Dungeon Keeper, Dwarf Fortress, Syndicate etc) for a change. Stardock would be a decent fit, but why wouldn't they just make another Sins branded game and save the cash? Suppose they might be convinced that 'Master of Magic' might have done better for them if it had actually been called that, but the ultimate problem there was that the game was borked, not what it was called.

I'd presume Gearbox wouldn't make any further games internally anyway, so in most practical respects it would be the same as if it went to nuParadox anyway. I'm quite surprised at the quoted buy cost though, it was higher than some of the bids for items in the 'main property' sale.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-23-darksiders-and-red-faction-sold-to-nordic-games

Good haul for Nordic. Wonder what they'll do with SupCom, if anything

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My point is more: "It's not like the IP was being actively used before Gearbox acquired it."

It went for a relatively modest $1.35M and at least the Gearbox guy claims to be a fan.  At that cost it certainly didn't seem to be a series that has much impetus to drive development IMO.

True, I think if THQ hadn't been in such financial woes, Relic would have had another crack at it. I remember that Relic was very happy when THQ managed to get the rights to the game from Vivendi, it's just that they were focused on both COH and Warhammer at the time and didn't have the money/people to build another game.

Crimson: No, there's no new homeworld as Gearbox just got the IP. However, Gearbox is going to try to monitarize it better by optimizing the first two games for digital distribution and putting them on sale. I suspect part of the reason they're doing that is to prove to the suits that the series still has potential as a profit site, so if it does well on Steam/Origin/GoG/whatever they'll get green lit to explore a Homeworld 3.

(1) Wants to play MOTB/SOZ

(2) Discovers I have lost MOTB

(3) Pop in NWN2 CD

(4) Discovers I have thrown away box = no CD Key

(5) Check GOG

(6) Discovers NWN2 Complete was $4 on sale two weeks ago, is now $20

(7) Check wallet

(8 ) Cry

Ironic, given I still have the signed box copy of SOZ...

• Like 3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-23-darksiders-and-red-faction-sold-to-nordic-games

Good haul for Nordic. Wonder what they'll do with SupCom, if anything

This is Nordic's Haul so far:

Titan Quest

Darksiders
Red Faction
MX vs. ATV
Frontlines
Juiced
Stuntman
Destroy All Humans
Deadly Creatures
The Outfit
Summoner
Full Spectrum Warrior
Supreme Commander

Source

They should hire Crate Entertainment do do another Titan Quest once Crate finishes up Grim Dawn.  Titan Quest (with Immortal Throne) is my favorite loot em up ever.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

(3) Pop in NWN2 CD

(5) Check GOG

(7) Check wallet

(8 ) Cry

I don't think I even opened mine.

Now you've got me wondering where I put my Obs shirt (that's now to small for me to wear)

Crimson: No, there's no new homeworld as Gearbox just got the IP. However, Gearbox is going to try to monitarize it better by optimizing the first two games for digital distribution and putting them on sale. I suspect part of the reason they're doing that is to prove to the suits that the series still has potential as a profit site, so if it does well on Steam/Origin/GoG/whatever they'll get green lit to explore a Homeworld 3.

Ah I see. And I assume this "optimizing" of the first two won't give any real idea of whether they're capable of making a Homeworld 3.

I wonder if the Aliens game hadn't been such a well known stinker, if this news would have been a little less ominous to anyone? I'd still agree that I'd have personal reservations about their ability to branch out genre-wise, just curious if any think the recent flop has any effect in that regard.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, Optimizing would just be making sure everything works on newer systems, and fits in well with Steam.

And honestly? It would, mainly because of the Duke Nukem debacle. It's a similar situation, although they'd be starting from scratch rather than building on the work of years of constantly changing design goals.

I mean, the last game they made that had any form of maturity to it was in 2008, with a Brothers in Arms game. Ever sense then it's been rather immature and sophmoric games that are either great quality or really really really bad.

(3) Pop in NWN2 CD

(5) Check GOG

(7) Check wallet

(8 ) Cry

Unless you have a different distribution to me, the NWN2 CD-key is on a sticker on the front of the fat manual. (And at 35 characters, probably the longest CD-key I remember seeing)

As I have the GOG copy now, I can PM you my original copy's key all legal-like if you wish.

And hopefully Feargus won't smack me for denying a sale...

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

EDIT: To late to the party... has already been cleared...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Wants to play MOTB/SOZ

wait, it's not a standalone game? ;( I really want to try it (mainly because of this comment, "Zecorian's Demesne (the final dungeon of SoZ) was a brilliantly designed masterpiece by Jeff Husges, that made great use of exploration, stealth, traps, puzzles, conversations, customized combat AI, and devious boss encounters. I think it is a shining example of both strategic and tactical role playing") but I can't find my NWN 2 CD anywhere...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That dungeon was sweet. I actually never ebat the end fight. I was playing on hardest difficulty and hadn't really geared my party properly (wasn't quite ready for the end). Couldn't beat it. And I've lost my save file so I'd have to replay the whole thing over again, and I'm kinda tired of the NWN2 engine by now.

But I always though SoZ was very underappreciated, it was a nice expansion (though of course pales in comparison to MotB).

Wants to play MOTB/SOZ

wait, it's not a standalone game? ;( I really want to try it (mainly because of this comment, "Zecorian's Demesne (the final dungeon of SoZ) was a brilliantly designed masterpiece by Jeff Husges, that made great use of exploration, stealth, traps, puzzles, conversations, customized combat AI, and devious boss encounters. I think it is a shining example of both strategic and tactical role playing") but I can't find my NWN 2 CD anywhere...

None of the expansions are stand-alone. Also, that comment is in error. Most of the SoZ dungeons are very small, but numerous. Zecorian's Demesne is not the final dungeon of SoZ, though one of the "end-game" ones. It's a small dungeon, though quite difficult (probably one of the more difficult things in the game). The final area of SoZ is indeed longer though and quite nicely designed, both visually and game design wise. Especially rewarding is that you can sneak through the entire thing.

But if you're after hardcore dungeon crawling, SoZ is not really the game to play. I really like the campaign but most dungeons are very small. 

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The thing to keep in mind is that while the folks at Relic had plenty of enthusiasm for HW3, almost none of the original team were still there.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Wants to play MOTB/SOZ

None of the expansions are stand-alone. Also, that comment is in error. Most of the SoZ dungeons are very small, but numerous. Zecorian's Demesne is not the final dungeon of SoZ, though one of the "end-game" ones. It's a small dungeon, though quite difficult (probably one of the more difficult things in the game). The final area of SoZ is indeed longer though and quite nicely designed, both visually and game design wise. Especially rewarding is that you can sneak through the entire thing.

But if you're after hardcore dungeon crawling, SoZ is not really the game to play. I really like the campaign but most dungeons are very small. 

Hells Bells Star, you have a way of dampening a good party, I was really enjoying the thought of Zecorian's Demesne ;(

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

(3) Pop in NWN2 CD

(5) Check GOG

(7) Check wallet

(8 ) Cry

This is exactly the sort of thing that would justify the usage of a "pirated copy". You know you've bought the game but might have misplaced it, why not fetch a copy from the internets and enjoy the game rather than give up, who's the victim if you recover your lost data from a torrent site ?

Losing something does not justify stealing another.   :blink:

Well, if he cracks a game that he clearly bought, not sure what he's stealing there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, no. But just getting a No-CD crack will help him with one of his problems.