RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

I bought it, played it and gave up after maybe 3 hours. I loved Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master back in the day, but I feel computer games have evolved in a direction that I really appreciate and I see no need to go back to that type of game. It just didn't grip me at all anymore.

Its interesting you say that but in a way, even though I haven't played it,  thats how I feel. I am eventually going to play it but I do feel its step backward from what I know I like and enjoy

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I treat it like a different genre altogether, not as a substitute. Like a flash game that can keep you entertained for a little while.

Drawing the map was the fun part.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I treat it like a different genre altogether, not as a substitute. Like a flash game that can keep you entertained for a little while.

Drawing the map was the fun part.

I hear you and the map part does sound fun, I suppose I also need to get out my comfort zone

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I didn't finish it though. Got tired at some point close to the end and gave up.

(there are mechanics in EVE that have been known to be broken for over 7 years[!]).

Interesting. Like what?

I don't really want to turn this into an EVE discussion, especially since listing everything that needs work would give a pretty bad picture of what is actually a really good game (if you're into that sort of game, that is), but for example SOV (sovereignty) mechanics have been broken for a really long time.

This doesn't really belong here but I thought it was cute:

http://www.thediceshoponline.com/categories.asp

They have anything and everything.

What's wrong with Gearbox?

Apart from everything they have done recently? And the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines incident?

Also having no history in strategy?

Well, nothing. Amazing condititions I say for making Homeworld.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 2

Mkreku, you're a game reviewer, you should be able to look through their catalogue of games and realize that they don't make RTS's

At all.

Instead they make shooters that have been working to become more and more quirky in recent years, or absolute garbage. They have Duke Nukem, Borderlands, and Brothers in Arms as their only real games of the past 10 years. So expect the next Homeworld to be "marching through ship corridors shooting at aliens while outside the skybox shows a massive Bentusii ship slowly dying" rather than "command a fleet to save/return to home"

Unless they decide to hand it to another company, which is unlikely overall.

Only minorly good thing that could come out of this would be Homeworld turning up on Steam.

Edited by Calax
  • Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Unless they decide to hand it to another company, which is unlikely overall.

And that strategy worked so well with Aliens: Colonial Marines... :p

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/190985/Gearbox_Software_has_acquired_the_Homeworld_franchise.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)

"There are no concrete announcements for new games in the series, but Gearbox said its first priority is to bring Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2 on "today's leading digital platforms."

So, great, Homeworld on phones and tablets. (Well maybe).

Hm, wonder how it would have gone if Paradox got it.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Mkreku, you're a game reviewer, you should be able to look through their catalogue of games and realize that they don't make RTS's

That's my point. They've never done a RTS before. Why dismiss them so easily when we don't know their skills yet?

All great RTS designers started with their first game. Give them a chance.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That's my point. They've never done a RTS before. Why dismiss them so easily when we don't know their skills yet?

I never knew you did reviews, if you don't mind me asking who do you do  reviews for ?

John Milton 

Well, they published Sins of Solar Empire, so Paradox would probably be perfect.

That was Stardock, though. I guess HW has a special place in people's hearts, so some FNG to the RTS area isn't inspiring. Like Obsidian getting the Freespace IP, or something :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Homeworld 3 shouldn't be anyone's first RTS.

That way failure will come quicker than you can say banana mothership.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

Even EA Sports has better games than Gearbox.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

Yeah, but for the most part people don't start with a franchise that's got a cult following and a very specific aesthetic and scope. Gearbox hasn't done anything that'll make me think that they can catch the feeling of Homeworld and get it down enough to produce a proper sequel to the first two. Instead we'd probably get a Halo Wars level game.

Maybe they can call it: Borderlands Homeworlds, because those seem to be the only games they've made recently they don't screw up and don't suck.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Well, they published Sins of Solar Empire, so Paradox would probably be perfect.

That was Stardock, though. I guess HW has a special place in people's hearts, so some FNG to the RTS area isn't inspiring. Like Obsidian getting the Freespace IP, or something :p

Probably meant SotS/2, as they're about the only space related thing Paradox have done.

No I did mean Sins, for a moment I thought Stardock and Paradox were the same - as they have kind of the same indie portfolio in each of their respective genre. But I could actually see both of them doing good or even Ironclad handling the IP pretty well.

Gearbox not so much, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Fortune favors the bald.

The way I always look at things like this: "it'd be no different than if the IP remained buried."

Yeah, it's easy to look at what could have been if someone else had gotten it, but there's no guarantees that they'd actually put out anything good either, despite the best intentions.

The way I always look at things like this: "it'd be no different than if the IP remained buried."

Yeah, it's easy to look at what could have been if someone else had gotten it, but there's no guarantees that they'd actually put out anything good either, despite the best intentions.

There's a better chance of them tossing out something good (Stardock or Paradox) simply because of their work within the Genre. And honestly, I could see paradox making Homeworld into more of a theatre thing, and it working out really well

• Like 1