What are you playing now?

I just finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown.  Pretty fun I thought (but having never played the previous X-COM games including the one this is a remake of, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt).

If you liked the new X-Com and were curious about the older X-Coms then you may like this game that's not called X-Com but is more like the old X-Com than the new X-Com when it's released later this year.

Or he may be bored immediately.

Not liking the new one at all, I ended up being a late backer of Xenonauts :)

splitting my precious spare time between SWTor and my Steam backlog (currently playing through tutorials of Fallen Enchantress).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bioshock Infinite. 

It started out great but it just... is becoming "Eeeehhhhhh". I think if they did more with the fact that the city is floating in the sky, i'd be happier. Even in the first Bioshocks, part of the reason that it felt like a city under water was because a lot of the challenges that were presented to you were because the water was slowly eating the city. Here it's just... there, the entire thing could have been done on the ground rather than in the sky.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

More OpenGL shaders and raytracing!

You should try 'Solitaire' some day for relaxation :p
  • Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Why do that when I can fiddle around with non-commutative matrix multiplication causing my tests to work 99% of the time, but causing subtle issues in the 1% that confuse the bejebus out of me, only to realize that the issues are in fact because I am a maroon!!!! :w00t:

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

Why do that when I can fiddle around with non-commutative matrix multiplication causing my tests to work 99% of the time, but causing subtle issues in the 1% that confuse the bejebus out of me, only to realize that the issues are in fact because I am a maroon!!!! :w00t:

Mate, Microsoft would cringe if you sold something that worked 99%. You can't charge people annual maintenance fee if all you ever plan to fix in future versions is 1% ;)

Well, too be fair, that one 1% case is perhaps slightly understated, aaaaaaaaand that 1% issue was pretty gamebreaking in terms of what was happening with my lighting HAHA.  It was definitely "unshippable" IMO lol.

Buuut, all for the learnings!  It's been fun.

• Like 1

... I was going to make a silly joke here, but I think I shall refrain.

... But I know what you mean. I've never done anything remotely on the level you probably are, but ... yeah. I've been there in spirit. :D

edit: clarification

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you were thinking of Bugs Bunny "What a maroon" then you indeed picked up the reference.

And yeah, I think we have all had problems only to realize that the solution was actually quite trivial, regardless of what it is we are doing haha.  Although, I prefer the trivial solution and me going "wow I'm dumb!" since it's solved, rather than "FFFUUUUUU this problem is SUPER hard to solve."  At least in practical application! :)

If you were thinking of Bugs Bunny "What a maroon" then you indeed picked up the reference.

And yeah, I think we have all had problems only to realize that the solution was actually quite trivial, regardless of what it is we are doing haha.  Although, I prefer the trivial solution and me going "wow I'm dumb!" since it's solved, rather than "FFFUUUUUU this problem is SUPER hard to solve."  At least in practical application! :)

2013-04-15-273.png

More Bioshock. The more I play the more flaws I see.

Combat is a bit "eeeehhhhh", the atmosphere just looses itself to become "disaster!" after a while, and overall it just doesn't feel... right.

Part of the fun early on is just the fact that everything is alive and the city looks like it was actually livable. In Bioshock 1 you arrived so far after the problems that the city just didn't seem like a place that you'd want to live in. In Infinite it feels like it would be a nice place to live (ignoring the fact that "morality" is kinda under lock and key).

I do like that they didn't have the girl (who's a good character overall) just flat out fall in love with her protector. At least, not a romantic love.

If somebody wants me to post one of my page long "reviews" of the game, I will, but right now I'll just leave it at that.

Unfortunately the other day I had a bug I outright couldn't solve. "Fixed" it by deleting the procedure outright and typing back the text into a brand new one from a printout - fortunately it was only a hundred lines or so. My only explanation is some sort of corruption occurring when my editor crashed earlier in the day, as repeated checking showed the procedures were line by line identical.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Most of the bugs I encounter would be easy to fix, if the codebase wasn't so arcane. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2013-04-15-273.png

Change the third panel to finding out your heroic fix to the problem was wrong and didn't work the way you thought it would and you'd have my 2 semester programing course in college. Never got one of my programs to work - passed the class because I always aced the theory (and the third class I had to take I got an "A" because it was all theory).

I'm playing Bioshock Infinite - will have some thoughts to share when I finish.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Still playing World of Warcraft again. I'm trying to dabble in Catherine on the side, but not really making time for it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm enjoying the 6th year anniversary celebrations in Lord of the Rings Online.  I actually decided to upgrade to a deluxe house, I've had a small one for years, but at level 70 I'm making money pretty easily so I think it is time for an upgrade.  Now I just need to get more furniture, I'm trading in my anniversary tokens for as many paintings as I can get.  It's a fun little side project.

Today I was fighting a troll and two orcs, and the troll knocked me into another group of orcs.  I thought I was a goner, I haven't had any real tough fights in awhile because all my mines of Moria gear is very strong, but I managed to pull out the win with a bit of health left.  It was a good challenge, I had to use a couple skills to survive that I haven't touched in awhile.  

Space Marine again, fancied a good slaughter simulator and Blade of Darkness's black menus were depressing me. It's enormously empowering to play as a walking tank, smashing through all and sundry in a haze of blood and bits, but it's beginning to become tiresome again. The game definitely needs more side content and distractions, something W40k lore isn't exactly lacking. Also captain Titus the protagonist, he is portrayed as resolute, calm and in control, and it's nice to see such subtle characterisation present, he is after all a veteran supersoldier of a disciplined chapter. However we are so often presented with a monotone, middle of the road protagonist both in voice and looks that i'm left feeling that the developers might have chosen a more distinctive chapter, and changed their direction to the voice actor to accompany that.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Still playing World of Warcraft again. I'm trying to dabble in Catherine on the side, but not really making time for it.

I had something similar happen with a girl, too :p

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Still playing Planescape Torment. I don't think that I will ever like a game more than this one.

Hi Astiaks :)

How are you doing after the earthquake in Iran? 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Still playing Planescape Torment. I don't think that I will ever like a game more than this one.

Hi Astiaks :)

How are you doing after the earthquake in Iran? 

Earthquake Torment!  :biggrin:

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Bioshock is now finished.

Its................ not worth the crazy hype methinks. It starts out well with some good ideas (moving buildings) but eventually just falls into a pit of generic action game in a giant steampunk city. If you did a megacity steampunk thing it'd fit just as well. And then the plot just looses it's pants at the end.