Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

For that Minesweeperish puzzle, you cast the low-level Light magic spell detect traps. After which I found you don't even need to avoid the traps. I walked straight down the centre, to the end - every step resulted in a prompt to select a character to disarm the trap. I guessed that it used perception, so I let my barbarian with a measly 25ish perception disarm all of them, no problem at all. It's ....it's probably not the intended design, no.

I actually wound up trial and erroring that puzzle (because I didn't happen to have learned the detection spell).  With the load times being what they are, you can imagine it took some time and a whole bunch save scumming (I'm not proud of myself  :blush: ).

My party is level 20, creeping up on level 21.  I'm going through Skull Rock to get the air shard so that I can do the Marauder promotion quest, though I need to make a quick hike back to The Crag (or Karthal, whichever is closer) to fix up my armor.  I like how my strategy has adapted as my party has grown stronger and I've encountered different enemies.  Earth Magic is my Shaman's bread and butter with Poison Spray, Acid Splash, Poison Cloud, and Regeneration.  Between Acid Splash and either Shatter or Sundering, I can obliterate my enemies' armor.  Poison Spray is one of the first things I cast and the damage really adds up over time.  Sometimes when I get ambused and surrounded, I'll Poison Spray, then drop a Poison Cloud on the enemies behind me from time to time, just so they have something to choke on while I dispatch the enemies in front of me.  Then when I get around to them they're pretty well softened up.  Regeneration is a life saver (literally).  I've also found myself using Purge a lot more often.  I'm more frequently encountering enemies casting Regeneration on themselves, which I quickly remove from them.  Elite Earth Elementals, in particular, can be difficult to whittle down if you don't keep Purging them.

Has anyone attempted that Meow Dungeon you can "buy" with the points you accumulate in UPlay?  I "bought" the dungeon, and I found the character that you use to access it, but I have no clue what level I should be when attempting it.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, I've run around with my spell-slinger party now for two thirds of Act 1, and they are beasts!

Sure, I have knowledge now about monsters, locations and all, but I'm literally having a blast, that is, I blast them critters into smithereens. It costs a lot of mana, but it's worth it.

Also, I have two characters using the air magic Gust spell over and over, while the baddies get bombarded by entangle, fire bolts, water... It's like a shooting range, and speaking of which, this is what a part of ranged characters would have felt like if bows and x-bows were better.

As for the difficulty. The game is like two or three times easier with casters, at least in Act 1.

Another bug: With my other party; I was in dire straits, and needed a bit of fast cash, so I was trying to sell the fourth-tier healing potions, but it was impossible, but selling minor, medium and large works.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Try dragging if right clicking to sell doesn't work. I've found that you can sell multiples of a scroll by right clicking on them, but if you want to sell a stack of one, you have to drag it over to the shop's inventory list (right clicking does nothing).

EDIT: For those wondering why there's no relic dagger, well, there is one, it's just unobtainable because someone typed in a period instead of a comma in a plain text file. Fortunately as a result it's easily user-correctable, though being very early in the game, most have probably missed out on it (though with clever editing you can assign it to another quest that you haven't done).

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

*catches up on reading through people's MMX experiences, ponders a bit, then...*

...Meow Dungeon?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

*catches up on reading through people's MMX experiences, ponders a bit, then...*

...Meow Dungeon?

Yeah.  There is a group of Rakshasa called the Cult of Meow, or something.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ah, that makes sense. I had some vision of a humor-level full of actual magical cats or something along those lines. Of course.

...anyone know if this has one of those developer dungeons you have to find? I used to like those.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...Meow Dungeon?

Yeah.  There is a group of Rakshasa called the Cult of Meow, or something.

Older M&M games had a few evil cults (or whatever) named after animal noises.  (I recall fighting priests of Bark and Baa, at least.)  "Meow" would be in keeping with this rather silly tradition. 

Edit:  Also Moo.

Edited by Enoch

So, on my way through Skull Rock to get the air shard for the blessing of Ylath, I found out I needed to get the blessing of Shalassa first.  So I hunted down the water shard, whooped up the air lord and now I'm going back to Skull Rock.  I'm almost 60 hours in and I still early (I think) into act 3.  :biggrin:

Edit:  Got the air shard.  Back to the forge I go...  tomorrow.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So, on my way through Skull Rock to get the air shard for the blessing of Ylath, I found out I needed to get the blessing of Shalassa first.  So I hunted down the water shard, whooped up the air lord and now I'm going back to Skull Rock.  I'm almost 60 hours in and I still early (I think) into act 3.  :biggrin:

Edit:  Got the air shard.  Back to the forge I go...  tomorrow.

Oh god the air puzzle. It's perhaps the one thing in the game that highlights more than anything else the weakness of the grid-based system. Conceptually, on a piece of paper that they were designing it on, it might have made sense. But in practice, you can barely even see anything.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

What creature cursed you? I finished the game and have every monster in the bestiary but I've never had anything curse or use a sleep effect on me.

Also, I don't think I've had any uses for the fire, light, or shadow blessings from the elemental forge. Maybe I used them once or twice but not enough to notice.

Just got cursed by an Elite Facehugger.

Clearing out the final dungeon now. Pretty standard fare so far, and repetitive enemies.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Heh! I had almost forgotten those weird temples of Eep, Honk, Yak and Moo. That makes a dungeon of Meow quite fitting indeed. However, I'm still fara way from getting there, especially with two parties going right now.

Interesting things are those items (always relics?) that level up. First, they seem like crap, and then they get better and better, but it's a gamble. I have no clue what they'll turn out like eventually.

My first party's literally wading through knee-deep **** in order to get to Karthal right now, and it's dark, dank and miserable, just as it should be in this kind of classic dungeon...

The sewers of course!

My second party keeps practising there spell-shooting skills, and now a boss was the target at the shooting gallery. First try, and that slithering bugger was a goner. My first party (then two levels higher) needed four tries.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's the other way around really, the series started out with much heavier sci-fi influences that really never left the mainline RPG series. Heck, the gameworlds - VARN, XEEN, etc were basically spaceships.

I actually find it funny how these older games often turn to sci fi haha.  Ultima I had it, and I remember fighting robots in technological pyramids that results in launching a space ship to defeat the big bad at the end of Might and Magic III too haha.

I'm playing Wizardry 8 ATM and I'm facing WOODEN COMPUTERS. The combination of and old castle with candles and a computer (no electricity or sockets).

Or fighting robots with laz0r guns with a spear.

The HLL league has enforcers that patrol the city with plan old maces, while at the same time having scanners and spaceships.

It is compeltely and utterly redicolous.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I didn't mind it, and indeed I'm forever disappointed at the 'fans' that caused NWC to backtrack on making the dark path in MM7 canonical and creating the Forge faction in Armageddon's Blade. Instead we got the last minute, half-arsed Conflux faction full of recycled units.

But yeah, finished the game. In hindsight perhaps I needn't have bothered, it was a two-legged slog of a repetitive dungeon crawl that rivals the Deep Roads for tedium, and had about the same monster variety. If I ever do replay the game, I certainly won't be finishing it. Perhaps the strongest illustration of how much I wanted it to just end was that it was the only force powerful enough to defeat step-on-every-tile OCD gameplay; and I also completely dispensed with looting, leaving dozens of unidentified magic items behind with my bag full of white rubbish. So that's that, Act 4, completely soul destroying, and a bitter end to a decent game.

If only they had given me laser gatling guns for that last bit so at least it'd be over more quickly.

P.S. Blademaster did more damage per turn than the rest of the party put together. The Barbarian was bitterly, bitterly disappointing. Also couple numbers: ended with 630,000g and level 33 (and quite a long way short of 34), did not do Meow (will decide later). Careful management of XP had all characters within about 100xp of each other, ignoring this in the final dungeon blew out the difference to 6-700 in favour of the Blade Dancer.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Now that I'm somewhere in Act 3, I have to say that Warrior difficulty is not so hard any more.  It's not easy, mind you, and it will still punish me if I slack and try to sleepwalk through a battle (with the exception of when I run into some low level beasties I'd missed before that I can crush with one arm tied behind my back), but for the most part, I'm not having too much trouble dispatching waves of baddies.  One more level up and I'll grandmaster spear and possibly Earth Magic on my Hunter and Shaman, respectively.  More than anything, I want the Ylath blessing so that I can do the Marauder promotion quest and start harpooning fools like Scorpion.  Once I do that, I'll go see what this Meow dungeon is all about.

As an aside, do you get anything for visiting all the different elemental shrines on the appropriate day and praying to the dragon gods?  I think I've done 3 so far.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I noticed the statue outside between the tower of enigma and the elemental forfe  has an inscription that says you should pray at all of them, 5 or 6 ? and finally return to pray there. 

Hopefully they give me something good, and not just a 5 dollar gift certificate to Seahaven Steakhouse.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I don't think the barbarian is best built as a damage dealer despite the damage bonus on low health,  maces are pretty weak, only 20% critical damage. I'm going to build mine for dual wielding maces. 

I think you get an extra swing at dual level master, giving you 3 chances to apply the stun effect from the mace skill. Spending extra points on destinty to improve critical chances and complimenting the evade tree as well. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Spears aren't two handed though. No two handed requirement on them. (doesn't make sense, but what does ?) So looks like you wasted a lot of points :p

Spears are two-handed and do benefit from the two-handed skill.  Also, they are awesome.  The biggest downside to spears is that you can't train to expert level until Seahaven.

Where do you get the relic spear?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸