The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Messier-31

Mother Nature Studios made the best open world game ever, even if it does get quite grindy and frustrating at times.  It's free to play and, as expected, pay to win.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No its not. Open world games are generally worse than corridor shooters, because corridor shooters are a controlled experience that is easier to craft into something coherent. Open world games are feel like randomly generated crap 95% of the time.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Mother Nature Studios made the best open world game ever, even if it does get quite grindy and frustrating at times.  It's free to play and, as expected, pay to win.

Way imbalanced though. Gameplay sucks, especially the economy.

No proper fast travel

No quest compass- you can pay for one but only on some servers

No respec- well, limited to paid and only certain servers

Imbalanced economy, yep

Arbitrary character generation

No respawn (I've heard you get to generate a new character on death or actually get to play an entirely different game, but never seen proof. Might just be certain servers, as well)

Given no respawn, the prevalence of arbitrary death is badly imbalancing and unfair

Some servers suck and are really difficult to even grind your way to success, and it seems to be random as to which server you start on

No magic

No race selection beyond simple skin colour. Yes Volo, no proper dwarves

Gender/ sex issues handled poorly, sex often reduced to minigames

Access to cool weapons are severely restricted

Different servers have different rules, and some of the player moderators are certainly products of unmarried parents

Different languages on different servers. Sounds cool, but boy does it have practical drawbacks

On the positive side there is no DRM and you can play it offline.

TLDR game sucks, nobody should play it, demand refunds.

• Like 3

I'm expecting this game will be like Gothic 3... but with 9000% more women.

Well I enjoyed Gothic 3 so if you throw in even more ladies that can only be a good thing :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But Gothic 3 had no women. Apparently they forgot about them while working on the game. :>

Seriously? No women at all. I played Gothic 3 about 1 year ago and I didn't notice that. Guess my powers of observation aren't as acute as I thought?

:facepalm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There were two women that I can remember. One in the place Rhobar ruled that I want to call Temeria but it ain't, specifically the place with cows and you had to get grain and there was a windmill. Second was a dancing girl that you had to get for the ruler of a town in, uh, Varant. I don't think either spoke much if at all. I think that the fan patch added others as well, as last time I played there were a couple in the rebel camps that I'm pretty sure weren't there in vanilla.

There were two women that I can remember. One in the place Rhobar ruled that I want to call Temeria but it ain't, specifically the place with cows and you had to get grain and there was a windmill. Second was a dancing girl that you had to get for the ruler of a town in, uh, Varant. I don't think either spoke much if at all. I think that the fan patch added others as well, as last time I played there were a couple in the rebel camps that I'm pretty sure weren't there in vanilla.

Its funny because now that you guys are pointing it out, I can't remember any distinguishing ladies?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

The entire Gothic series has a distinct and rather shocking lack of women (Not sure about Arcania, but that's not really a Gothic game anyway).  Risen and Risen 2 are slightly better in this regard, but the populatiuon is still overwhelmingly male. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Here is an RPS "article" with a bunch of stills from the recent trailer and/or hands-off demo.  It seems CDPR must have previously stockpiled some of teh grafx, becuase I though Crytek had used up all teh grafx.  I ****ing love how badass that giant moose-like beastie looks. 

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Something about Geralt's appearance looks really off.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Perhaps you're intimidated by his skin-tight pantaloons, showing off his well chiseled, rock-hard buttocks.

:*

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Hm, maybe it is just the armour.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, maybe it is just the armour.

You seem a bit nervous there Malc? Is there something you want to tell us....don't be embarrassed as almost all of us are liberals and you can say anything you want without judgment :yes:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I actually like it more than the Geralt from the second game. They tried too hard to make him look like a bad mofo and that's a turnoff for me.

However he's probably more angsty in the trailer for W3 than necessary. They're blinging him out too much.

I think the first one still looks best, a combination of cool, relaxed and ugly. And the nice, toned down armor and elegant sword (until the end of the game anyway).

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I hope they provide a barber like they did in TW2 (after a week or two).  I like the loose long hair Geralt better than ponytail Geralt.  The beard is great though, that's definitely a plus.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/194483/CD_Projekt_RED_confirms_new_studio_opening_in_Krakow.php

Always a good sign of robust finances when a development company opens another branch, albeit a small one.

John Milton 

"Premium quality titles", does this mean AA or A?

Mobile games.