What you did today

Gorth

It's because the inescapable prison.. had a small problem. When they had that escape attempt where 3 prisoners disapeared? They found the cement that they built the place with had a bad reaction to the saltwater of the bay and was basically..extremely crumbly rather then rock hard. Thus.. unless they spent ridiculous amounts of money on it, it wasn't as secure as it was planned. Thus it was cheaper to close it down and build a new prison...

At least, that's what my memory trivia seems to recall on the nature of it....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just think its very romantic that you married someone with a blurry square head,

I was briefly engaged to Pac-Man once. Unfortunately he was too much of a celebrity and it caused some strife, plus that mouth of his...he just would not shut up. :(

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Alcatraz is just to insanely rough to upkeep. No fresh water is on the island, so it has to have constant supplies of that and power from the mainland.

Side note: As part of Boy Scouts, I actually went and spent a night there, in one of the D block cells. During the not-on-the-public tour that we went on, we saw the mental ward and the doctors area... in the Doc's area the ranger pointed to the celing and you saw all these red flecks on the cling. Turns out, those flecks were movie blood from The Rock, with a shootout between the bad guys.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah....the sister-in-law's son did that Boy Scout overnight thing too. I think they should do that for adults as well ... pay more, get to stay overnight. Maybe they do, for all I know. Heh. Didn't know that about The Rock bit tho...I love that silly movie. Well, parts of it anyway.

Had a giggle-filled night with the hubs (only he can make me laugh like that all the time.... :wub: ), soon off to dreamland.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Had to renew my drivers license so I hit the door running at 0700 to get there before the crowds. Passed the test with flying colors but I was too tall for the camera so the lady asked me to bend at the knees and look down a little bit. Worst photo ever.

Can't be worse than mine. Iowa apparently uses these computerized THINGS that make you unable to smile, you can't wear glasses and have to stand a certain way.

So you end up looking either stoned or SERIOUSLY angry.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Had to renew my drivers license so I hit the door running at 0700 to get there before the crowds. Passed the test with flying colors but I was too tall for the camera so the lady asked me to bend at the knees and look down a little bit. Worst photo ever.

Nothing gives a civil servant more pleasure than asking a proud man bend over...

Can't be worse than mine. Iowa apparently uses these computerized THINGS that make you unable to smile, you can't wear glasses and have to stand a certain way.

So you end up looking either stoned or SERIOUSLY angry.

Instead of retarded, which is what you Americans look like when you smile in official photographs. Best regards, the rest of the world.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I thought that's what 90% of the world looks like when they smile in official photographs.

The not smiling was just an European thing, then? Mea culpa.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's a rare gift to smile well, really, especially in freeze-frame.

Looking forward to December 17, when I will shift from write-these-papers-right-now mode to let's-read-Sloterdijk-and-Wittgenstein mode. Also, will continue the Baldur's Gate LP, just need to figure out which party members are still alive and which Obsidianites need to be drafted in for Shadows of Amn. I'll need to either complete the campaign by early January, or ensure we all get killed before then.

Sent the girlfriend some Christmas presents because I expected US-NZ shipping to be horrendous. Hilariously, I think I sneaked in just before the crunch began, so it looks like it will arrive.... tomorrow. :facepalm:

Can't believe it's going to be 2013 already, so soon. I'm still getting used to the idea that it's 2012.

Have spent 0 minutes on gaming past few days and about 23409812 minutes on home mortgage and various tax research instead. It's about as relaxing as having your kneecaps pulled out. I'm not very good with this sort of stuff. Giving up and going to bed.

Pondering on some christmas shopping to be done. And had the joys of my broadband going dead for half an hour for no apparent reason. Guess the winter weather hit the exchange or some such...

Pondering the amusement value of getting a bottle of that vodka sent to the Obsidian offices for christmas once I see how my budget this month breaks out....

Doing some work around the house lately. Upkeep was really neglected since I spent almost all of this year on the road. There will be some of that next year but not as much. My brother invited me to spend Christmas with him and his family. I have a feeling it was really an "unvitation" though. He extended it knowing it was unlikely I'd accept. Plus he was kind of half hearted about it. Since both of our parents passed away we have rally gotten out of touch. But that's how it goes I guess.

A friend of mine has asked for help with a dog she rescued. It's a a pit mix that has apparently suffered abuse because she is fearful and prone to lashing out and biting. She's at her wits end and is considering euthanasia. Hopefully I can prevent that. The nice thing about dogs is she will not actually remember being abused, but the abuse has ruined her confidence and programmed her to act a certain way. It's just a matter of taking away her fear by building up her confidence and deprogramming her negative reactions with positive reinforcement.

At least that has worked for me before.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I cleaned my apartment top to bottom(great way to spend a day off btw), then got around to designing a few encounters for a GURPS game I am GMing. I have been thinking of trying to get an Arcanum playthrough in before December 26, might end up doing that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It can be surprisingly difficult to get certain xmas gifts ordered and delivered to friends and family in other countries. Sites that let you register that you're from another country, but then refuse to accept your billing details as valid because they are foreign addresses and telephone numbers... >_<

Ah well, I guess that just means a bit more work needs to be done to locate the right places to shop.

I spent too much of my time contemplating who the villain in the next Star Trek movie really is going to be. With the first 9 minutes of the movie now being reported on, all kinds of stuff to rumor-monger about. Latest bit of news/rumor (from an industry tweet that is already deleted) is the blond chick is actually going to be Carol Marcus, which makes you wonder. At least if you're a ST nerd. Which I am. Even on rebooted franchises that sort of annoy me. Their marketing/keeping the mystery is a great ploy, darnit.

...now going to eat some pizza and watch TV.

Doing some work around the house lately. Upkeep was really neglected since I spent almost all of this year on the road. There will be some of that next year but not as much. My brother invited me to spend Christmas with him and his family. I have a feeling it was really an "unvitation" though. He extended it knowing it was unlikely I'd accept. Plus he was kind of half hearted about it. Since both of our parents passed away we have rally gotten out of touch. But that's how it goes I guess.

It always annoys and amazes me when people do that in life, they invite you somewhere but only because they feel they have to. They don't really want you there. I am firm believer in consistency and more importantly, sincerity. Why invite someone to a barbecue , wedding, b-day or similar event if you don't like them? I feel this just perpetuates an uncomfortable vibe. You see this particularly with families. I would rather be with people that aren't my family but like me than to be with my relatives who don't like me but invite me because " he is family so we must invite him as its the right thing to do"

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, one has to decide whether one is interested to overcome the estrangedness with family. If one just says "we are estranged so any contact is only out of family duty" then of course one will drift further appart. It's really up to each person to decide whether they are happy this way or not. *shrug*

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).