What you did today

Gorth

Been VERY busy lately. Our company bid on a new contract with Raddcomm Inc to design public WIFI access points and network backhaul in 117 Simon Malls throughout the US. We spent weeks preparing the bids. We just found out today our bid was accepted. This is HUGE. Not only will it keep us busy for the next two years but if we can complete it on time and under budget our company moves out of the start up phase and gains financial stability and most importantly market credibility.

It's been a long year with many sleepless nights and living in bad motel rooms (in some cases in dangerous places) but right now it was TOTALLY worth it! I can't wait for January to get here now.

Whoa!... congrats :thumbsup:

Wishing you (and your partners) all the best for the project :luck:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Been VERY busy lately. Our company bid on a new contract with Raddcomm Inc to design public WIFI access points and network backhaul in 117 Simon Malls throughout the US. We spent weeks preparing the bids. We just found out today our bid was accepted. This is HUGE. Not only will it keep us busy for the next two years but if we can complete it on time and under budget our company moves out of the start up phase and gains financial stability and most importantly market credibility.

It's been a long year with many sleepless nights and living in bad motel rooms (in some cases in dangerous places) but right now it was TOTALLY worth it! I can't wait for January to get here now.

Nice, its always a feeling of immense achievement when hard work and long hours pays off for tenders or business prospects. Congrats :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My wife was complaining that our room was freezing. An hour later the thermostat is cleaned out, and reprogrammed after a battery change.

If I was smarter I just would have looked to see if her hamper was covering the vent, first.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Cable box broke. Guess I have to call them to bring a new one before hubby gets grumpy. ;)

Raked up a huge pile of leaves that won't all fit in the giant leaf bin the city gives you, and that's barely what's on the ground. You rake up just the walking areas, 1.5 days later it looks like you did nothing. Stupid trees. :down:

The fun part is when the city then fines you for having leafs on the ground that constitute a fire hazard :getlost:

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Put the tree up yesterday, have to face going through all the christmas tree lights to find out what ones aren't working...

Facing the day on about 4 hours of sleep and pondering what assorted things actually need doing and what things I can get away with not doing... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My sister-in-law and her husband are back in town again this week. They want to go to Alcatraz apparently - I might be the only one of us four who's been there once. A long long time ago with my cousin. I guess if we can book the boat ride tour, I'll be spending Thurs. on an ex-prison island. I can pretend there are zombies .... :cat:

If it's sunny-ish I might get some pleasant photos. Or, if we can't book a tour for some reason, we'll be doing ... something else.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, you may recall my little story about my Mom going through hip surgery about 2 weeks ago. (She's recovering normally, but still quite mobility-limited.) This past Saturday, my Dad, who has been taking care of Mom through all this, tripped on the basement stairs and broke his left fibula. Now he's going to need orthopedic surgery too! So she's got a walker and is limiting her activity to what the physical therapists tell her to do, and although he can get around well on crutches, he has been instructed to keep his leg elevated on a near-constant basis so the swelling can go down enough to do the surgery.

My sister and brother-in-law live in the next town over from the parents, so they've been doing most of the work helping them out for the last few days. But they've also got a toddler to chase around, so that's going to get old pretty fast, and although their employment situation is pretty flexible, it is not infinitely so. (I joke with my sister that this is payback for all the free babysitting she's been getting from our parents.) So it looks like we'll be taking another trip up to NJ pretty soon to pitch in. Once we see when Dad's surgery is scheduled for, we're going to have to decide when and for how long to make the trip.

So, you may recall my little story about my Mom going through hip surgery about 2 weeks ago. (She's recovering normally, but still quite mobility-limited.) This past Saturday, my Dad, who has been taking care of Mom through all this, tripped on the basement stairs and broke his left fibula. Now he's going to need orthopedic surgery too! So she's got a walker and is limiting her activity to what the physical therapists tell her to do, and although he can get around well on crutches, he has been instructed to keep his leg elevated on a near-constant basis so the swelling can go down enough to do the surgery.

My sister and brother-in-law live in the next town over from the parents, so they've been doing most of the work helping them out for the last few days. But they've also got a toddler to chase around, so that's going to get old pretty fast, and although their employment situation is pretty flexible, it is not infinitely so. (I joke with my sister that this is payback for all the free babysitting she's been getting from our parents.) So it looks like we'll be taking another trip up to NJ pretty soon to pitch in. Once we see when Dad's surgery is scheduled for, we're going to have to decide when and for how long to make the trip.

Holy Smoke Enoch, your parents are really in the wars lately. Sorry to hear.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, the good news is that there's no reason to expect that they won't have perfectly normal recoveries. (Dad, in particular, is in better physical shape at 57 than I am at 33-- the break was just one of those fluky accidents that happen.) The next month or two is just going to be a struggle.

Well, the good news is that there's no reason to expect that they won't have perfectly normal recoveries. (Dad, in particular, is in better physical shape at 57 than I am at 33-- the break was just one of those fluky accidents that happen.) The next month or two is just going to be a struggle.

You're lucky to have such young parents. I'm two years younger than you and my dad is 74.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Hope you guys manage those months ok, Enoch. Realized the coworker I get along with best is on vacation so will miss the Christmas party. Also, remembered there's an awesome BBQ place a block east of the place we're going to, so tempted to skip the fancy fare for some pulled pork :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Started training Taekwondo again (it's been 10 years), but not only was I horribly out of shape compared to the other guys - I was also the highest ranking belt, which meant I had to lead all the time - it's tradition. Slightly emberrasing, but it was fun.

Fortune favors the bald.

Help, I can't stop making Xmas avatars!

*checks herself into the silly farm*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What a bummer of a run of bad luck Enoch. Hopefully they will both be back on their feet real soon. It is very cool that you are able to help them. If you were farther away it would be a lot harder.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

i've been playing Badurs Gate Enhanced Edition, Flawed but fun.

Holy... freaking... cow.... how is it I was unaware of the existence of an enhanced version of Baldur's Gate????? How long has this been around? I rely on you guys to keep me informed about important stuff like this and now, except JFSOCC, you have all dropped the ball! :bat:

Can the PC be exported to BG2? Wait... is there an enhanced BG2??? Oh please say yes! Wait... are there any other enhanced infinity games???? Torment? Is there a Torment version???? Oh please say yes!

I'll see you guys later, I'm going to be busy for the next few days!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Holy... freaking... cow.... how is it I was unaware of the existence of an enhanced version of Baldur's Gate????? How long has this been around? I rely on you guys to keep me informed about important stuff like this and now, except JFSOCC, you have all dropped the ball! :bat:

So.. you missed the 17 page thread camouflaged with the title "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition"? I can see how such a cunning disguise would work it's way past your perception.... :shifty:

Hm, for some reason I seem to be sliding into a somewhat melancholic mood this week with no specific thing that I can see causing it.

• Like 1

Good thing you managed to get in on this while malls still exist.

Hm., just saw a news article about the riots in Belfast. The city council working with Sinn Fein have just voted to remove the Union Jack from being flown every day in the city, which prompted some rioting. Also, one of the city councillors apparently received a variety of intimidating threats via facebook and a few other means.

Said Councillor (who has been working hand in glove with Sinn Fein over this vote) went on record saying that

"I think if we get to the point that we don't take decisions that we believe are right, simply because of the threat of violence and intimidation, then we no longer have a democracy - what we have is mob rule. That's something that I will not countenance because I believe fundamentally in the rule of law. I believe in democracy and I believe that it has to stand, so we will not budge because of intimidation or threat or terror",

And for some reason I find that kind of warpedly, bleakly humerous. Someone working with Sinn Fein, the reformed and political side of the IRA (to a certain extent), saying that terror and intimidation are wrong and anti-ethical to democracy. :shifty:

• Like 1

What a bummer of a run of bad luck Enoch. Hopefully they will both be back on their feet real soon. It is very cool that you are able to help them. If you were farther away it would be a lot harder.

Each 1-way trip eats up about 3.5 hours and $30 in gas and tolls (in a Corolla). Not too bad.

Unfortunately, it looks like Dad's surgery is going to be complicated. He broke the bone in 2 spots and tore a ligament or two. The surgery isn't happening until next Friday, and after that he'll still have 2 full weeks of "keep it elevated at all times, excluding bathroom breaks." (And then a month on crutches and some more time in a walking boot.) And he's the kind of guy who absolutely hates lying around not doing anything.

Help, I can't stop making Xmas avatars!

*checks herself into the silly farm*

:grin: You funny

I love Xmas and particularly people that really enjoy Xmas. My friends wife actually makes her own Xmas cards and sends them out.

John Milton 

Visiting my student health center today due to digestive issues. Hope it's nothing to bad, and pray that my doc gives me more than "eh, it'll pass. Rough it out!"

Given finals are next week.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Turned 21 a few days ago. I live in a pretty big college town in the States. $1 beers and .50 cent slices of pizza? absolutely brilliant.

I wish you a belated Happy B-day :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton