Professional Reader for the Audiobook

Not sure who you had in mind and who would be in your price range for the professional audio book reader in the stretch goals, but you might look into Alessandro Juliani ... he was the reader for the new recordings of the Chronicles of Amber that were released on Audible ... he did an excellent job with the various voices and gave the characterizations very good variety ... you might also consider using your in-house voice people from the game and doing a full cast recording for the audio book ... those are very nice and it would provide a nice alternative to supplement the professional reader or replace him/her if they are too expensive

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

generally someone who had a connection to the story itself tells it best as they feel it.

or Stephen Fry. either way :p

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Unless the author is capable of doing extended readings I think they should stick with the pro or use their internal voice folks and do a cast recording ... since only your hardcore fans usually go in for game tie-in audio books it never hurts to stick with the atmosphere of the game. Some of the good game audiobooks I have heard recently were:

Bioshock: Rapture - decent narrator and the backstory provided enhances the game play ... it actually had me going back to Bioshock for a second go at it

Diablo: The Order - again a good narrator with good voice range and able to replicate the immortal voice of Deckard Cain

Some good standard audiobooks:

Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy - they released them for the anniversary of the novels and they used music and sound effects from the movies for good immersion. The excellent narrator was able to handle a wide range of voices. An approach like this for PE novel would work since they could use some sound effects and music from the game and select game voices to achieve good tie in with the game

Dune - a full cast recording of the Dune novel gives good immersion and takes the pressure off a single reader to do too many voices. Also, makes female voices easier since they can be voiced by women.

Chronicles of Amber - I have only listened to the first 5 books from the original chronicles but they are definitely higher quality and more immersive than the author read ones that were done years ago. The other five books have a different narrator (Wil Wheaton of Star Trek NG notoriety) but I haven't started into that series yet.

Good luck with your choices. I am looking forward to the game and the audio book. :D

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

The documentary better show footage of Ron Pearlman recording lines while a drunk Avellone directs him.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Whatever voice actor they pick (David Ogden Stiers, hint, hint.) hopefully it will be the same person they pick for the narrator for the game. The continuity would be nice and quite fitting, the bonus would be it would be cheaper hiring only one person.

• Like 1

Ron Perlman has done some audio books but I am not sure how pricey he would be ... there are some excellent readers besides the actors although there are also many actors who do book readings (Will Patton has a good voice for reading) ... given that I would prefer them to keep most of the budget on the game I think they can find some of the new readers who might be more affordable (which is why I proposed Alessandro Juliani since he doesn't have too many books yet) ... if there is an actor who is a big fan and has experience with audio books I would be all for that ... after thinking about it more and seeing the suggestions I would also support a cast recording using the folks who do voicing for the game ... either way I look forward to listening to the PE audio book on the treadmill or my bike ride to work :biggrin:

Another thing that needs to factor in is whether Obsidian will go the route of the Screen Actors Guild.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 4 weeks later...

A little late to the party but what the heck... We don't have anything concrete to say at the moment, BUT I can tell you quality is a top concern for anything we do with regards to the audio book. That includes the narrator. I can also say that we are very cost conscious on Project Eternity and won't financially commit to something if it will be at the expense of the overall quality of the game. We're making a big game, and that's the priority. These two things may seem mutually exclusive, but they don't necessarily have to be.

Music and sound effects are quite likely, though its still very very early to confirm anything 100%. Regardless of how things actually play out, we're going to do our best to deliver the best audio book experience possible.

• Like 1